burning oil - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
burning oil
Thursday, February 09, 2006 10:23 AM
there is a black residue on the inside of my muffler tip. could that mean that i'm burning oil??

Re: burning oil
Thursday, February 09, 2006 10:25 AM
Its carbon relax.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Thursday, February 09, 2006 1:07 PM
phew!

Thursday, February 09, 2006 1:12 PM
what if the black stuff is wet and sticky??

Thursday, February 09, 2006 1:13 PM
^ It will be, especially during the winter, because as the hot exhaust meets the cold air, it condenses, and forms condensation, which combines with the carbon and makes it wet and sticky.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Thursday, February 09, 2006 1:15 PM
Mmm Hmm, Like I said relax. Now if you see giant plumes of blueish grey smoke, then you have an issue.

Thursday, February 09, 2006 6:29 PM
The more you give her in your car; the more carbon you get until its cleaned out right?
How many days of sitting does it take for the car to build up carbon, and where does it build up at, in the cat?

98 j-body sedan

Thursday, February 09, 2006 6:40 PM
terry denomme wrote:The more you give her in your car; the more carbon you get until its cleaned out right?
How many days of sitting does it take for the car to build up carbon, and where does it build up at, in the cat?

Well i dont understand the first part of what you said, but the carbon build up will be on your bumper, especially if yu rarely wash your car, and the exhaust tip does not protrude from your bumper.

Thursday, February 09, 2006 7:01 PM
sorry, what i was getting at was that i was just wondering if you can burn all the carbon out by giving her(going fast of the line) to get rid of the carbon.
And i wantted to know what causes carbon buildup; is it from the engine just sitting for long periods of time?
Is it good to burn the carbon out of your car; like really come on to your car once in awhile.

98 j-body sedan

Thursday, February 09, 2006 8:01 PM
terry denomme wrote:sorry, what i was getting at was that i was just wondering if you can burn all the carbon out by giving her(going fast of the line) to get rid of the carbon.
And i wantted to know what causes carbon buildup; is it from the engine just sitting for long periods of time?
Is it good to burn the carbon out of your car; like really come on to your car once in awhile.

Carbon build up is normal, its one of several major particulate matter that makes up your exhuast gases.

The only way to rid your car of it, is to make it burn better. Or go with an alternitive fuel.

If you think about it, our cars produce very little carbon with our low 87 octane pump gas as opposed to desiel trucks. Thats what comes out of there pipes most offen, Carbon.

Now granted, Desiel engine run much differently then our engines, but gives you an idea.

Friday, February 10, 2006 5:16 AM
Carbon is a result of burning gasoline. It never goes away.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search