ld9 to w41 swap - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ld9 to w41 swap
Thursday, February 09, 2006 9:36 AM
found a good w41 and i am considering swapping it with my ld9 just wondering if anyone has done this before, how difficult it was and was it worth it? any help is appreciated.

Re: ld9 to w41 swap
Thursday, February 09, 2006 9:45 AM
IIRC asomeone with a second gen has a W41 swapped in. I can't remember his name though.

Thursday, February 09, 2006 9:59 AM
SVC got one in his Sunbird.

It's not an easy job. You have an 02 so it's a real P I T A. You'll have to rewire the whole car. The harness for the dash need to be modify and you'll need to change the harness for the engine, change the Ecm(use the W41 ecm), change to the old style PS pump, modify your exhaust and go with 2.5", modify the coolant hose and a few other small things.

Not worth it for the work.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Thursday, February 09, 2006 10:28 AM
it would be worth it if you had a 95 with the 2.3 already

but to swap with a 2.4 not worth the work , plus in almost all states your not allowed to swap in a older motor , due to emissions reasons

Thursday, February 09, 2006 10:49 AM
i WAS gonan do this but stuff happens. i did a lot of research about it first.. heres my take :

in the swap, you make the car (ecu + wiring) act like a W41 car or make the W41 act like a 2.4TC, i found it way easier to make the W41 look like a 2.4 (to the 2.4 ecu). think about the differences, there a not a whole lot once you get past the obvious.

the big deal here is tuning.. right now there is not a good way to tune it without doing what Gilles said and rewiring and runnig the 2.3 ecu. IF HPT comes out there will be.. IF it does. if you can take the ecu out of the swap then the rest will not be a huge deal..

also put the IDI cover from the 2.4 on it and a HIGHLY doubt you will EVER have even a question..

my .02

Sven you totally quarterloafed your computer..
Thursday, February 09, 2006 6:37 PM
I've installed a 1990 2.3L H.O. in my 98 sunfire with my stock isuzu tranny. Mechanically, the swap was simple, getting it in was a breeze.

The wiring was a mess, but that's all up and running. I used the complete engine harness from the Beretta I got the engine out of, including the computer. I kept my stock wiring for accessories (lights, defogger, signals, etc.)

I will eventually clean up my wires to make the setup look more stock than it currently does, but I ran my car a few times last year and it ran flawlessly. I must say, the drive is completely different (and quicker).

One major issue that I did not have a "cut and splice" workaround for was my dash. Unfortunately the gauges have microchips in sunfire that use a 5volt reference and a signal and turn that into your speedo and other gauges appropriately.

I used the dash from a 92 grand am (analog) which was initially mated to a 2.3L H.O. engine.

See the pictures below. The movie is nearing 2 years old but I haven't taken a new one yet. I was troubleshooting some issues (was a dead alternator) so ignore my revving like a ricer The dash pictures are up to date of this past summer. I think it will look sexy once re-covered.

I will be adding myself to the thread in case you have some questions.

http://thetreestump.mine.nu/Pics/Sunfire GTZ/sunfiremovie.avi

JCO Bash 2003 "under construction" winner! Still working on getting paint
Thursday, February 09, 2006 9:24 PM
LOL!!! i had that shift knob on my cav and hated it! too bulky.. i miss that car though..

Sven you totally quarterloafed your computer..
Friday, February 10, 2006 8:51 AM
thanks yall, sounds kinda difficult not that it is a big deal cause this is my play car and i am in no rush for it. i am just not sure if ill have that much time to mess with it. i am thinking it might be better to boost. would yall have done the swap or boost?
Friday, February 10, 2006 9:44 AM
i would do the swap AND boost

Friday, February 10, 2006 12:00 PM
L I N K

I need to get some Engine bay pics..... but anyway...... W41 in a 96.....

..... with boost......

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search