ebay 2.4 intake modified to fit an eco - Page 2 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: ebay 2.4 intake modified to fit an eco
Thursday, January 26, 2006 1:49 PM
Quote:

finial thought is if you spend more then 40 dollars on an intake you have been ripped off period.

ok this is just absolutely wrong......some people need their cars to be reliable, and reliability in this case is gonna cost more than 40 bucks.

if you want to put a cai on your car and do not want to compromise the reliability of your car, you cannot use tubing made of "mild" steel. you would need either stainless, aluminum, or titanium. all of which will be more than 40 bucks.

how about the coating? if its painted, it will get scratched, flaked, or scuffed and look like crap in no time. its gotta be powdercoated or polished, which is gonna make it cost way more than 40 bucks.

fitment? if you buy a more expensive intake, youre also paying for the r&d that goes into the fitment of the piece. brackets and certain pipe routings have all been worked out by "real" cai manufacturers to guard against pinch points on wires and hoses and more importantly against the engine movement wiggling the cai right off the tb. that stuff costs more than 40 bucks unless the design is pirated from someone else.

welding? do you have any idea how much it costs to weld a cai? welders and their equipment are quite expensive. this doesnt show through on "ebay" intakes because theyre all welded in chinese or mexican sweatshops. ya lets support that market. to give you an idea, i am American, and I am a welder; and if i wanted to make CAIs, and make enough money to eat food and sleep in a bed, i would have to charge almost 40 bucks just on labor.

final thoughts? quality cost money. and if you want to use quality equipment on your car, 40 bucks on an intake just ain't gonna cut it......period

Thursday, January 26, 2006 1:56 PM
This was ment as a low buck alternative to the expensive intakes out there. I think rather then hateing you should look at it as info for those without a lot of cash. I'm not trying to start a flame fest with you but I think you could tone it down a little.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Thursday, January 26, 2006 3:33 PM
OK this did not even come close to working for me first off the elbow over the throttle cable is way way way to high you couldn't even dream of closing the hood.HOw did you close the hood?

darkblade j
Tuesday, February 07, 2006 11:08 AM
darkbladej wrote:OK this did not even come close to working for me first off the elbow over the throttle cable is way way way to high you couldn't even dream of closing the hood.HOw did you close the hood?

you tried it and it didnt work?

first off did you take the crap on your hood?

also did you try cutting the elbow down?

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Tuesday, February 07, 2006 11:47 AM
im with you jack great mod for the money. i wish i would have know about this 1 yr ago when i spent 200 dollars on the rksport intake...... who are you adverrising for dan? you forgot to mention when you put down a perfectly good thing. and about the welds, i can go to just about any exhaust shop and get a weld done on my exhaust for 10 bucks. and that includes lifting my car. wow a whopping 5 min of work. when you mass produce these things they might cost about 20 bucks to make in the us, parts and labor included.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 2:29 PM
Da Ghost (Qc) wrote:For the fpr vacuum tube, there's a nipple where you can hook it on the intake manifold, just remove the cap and plug the tube :

DO NOT DO THIS, the fpr was hooked to the intake piping, therefor, it doesn't read vacume, LEAVE IT OPEN

Some times the best way to get that tailgater off your but is to light a fart.
Tuesday, February 07, 2006 3:34 PM
and what do you think was in the intake tube... ding ding ding YES, it is VACUUM.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 4:20 PM
Anything on the intake tract would be considered a vaccum referance unless you have boost.

Dan: Why should an intake be powdercoated or polished? What is polishing gonna do unless its clearcoated?. Yes powdercoating is nicer and guy what folks it costs about the same as regualr paint, if you have a kit or a powdercoated. I have a guy so my cost is free bassically. You can use a mild steel on the intake track since there is no fluids traveling through it (fuel, coolant, or oil). What R&D is truely need to make a cold air intake? Next to none, its all just trial and fitment. Is it nicer to have one solid piece of manderal bent tubing? Yes. Is it needed? No. I am an American and I take alot of pridwe in that but guess what, welding mild steel is bassically welding mild steel. Wether it be done with mig or tig its the same here and there. The only big quality issue is Japanese steel is weaker then American, its a known fact. But ITS A COLD AIR TUBE, it connects a Throttle body to a remote source for colder air, big F'n deal. Would I spend more for a nice Anodized piece of manderal bent aluminum? Yes, but maybe the guy whom doesnt have a ton of money and is trying to get into modifying cars doesnt have the money.

Jcavi: Good post, takes a little fitment but it can be done and for a reasonable price. Keep on with the Happy dance.......and the cookie

2002 Z28: Slp coldair Pac, Corsa Catback, 3200 stall

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 8:03 AM
Quote:

Jcavi: Good post, takes a little fitment but it can be done and for a reasonable price. Keep on with the Happy dance.......and the cookie

ohh dont you worry Im gonna happy dance until the sun dont shine.

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search