muffler length and size help!! - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
muffler length and size help!!
Monday, February 06, 2006 1:57 PM
Ok guys, the setup I am going with is a magnaflow muffler w/ a magnaflow resonator and then of course a tip. But i am not sure what size muffler I should get, I dont know if I should get 4x9 or 5x8. And would a length of 14" be good? I want it to have a nice sound to it. For the resonator I am planning on getting it 18" long, that should be perfect. So what do you guys think?? -thanks

Re: muffler length and size help!!
Monday, February 06, 2006 2:02 PM
just order a pre-fabbed set up, it eliminates the guess work

Some times the best way to get that tailgater off your but is to light a fart.
Monday, February 06, 2006 2:03 PM
no, all the pre fabbed work costs too much. if i get it custom done i can do it and only pay like $400 or less.
Monday, February 06, 2006 2:17 PM
I would get a 5"x8" thats 18" long, I think they make that size. That will sound real good. I don't think the 24" long one will fit but that would sound great.

'Fire Starter (Seth) wrote:just order a pre-fabbed set up, it eliminates the guess work

Good answer to his question, you since asked about a prefab system.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Monday, February 06, 2006 2:18 PM
ERR, no edit button. Good answer to his question, you know since he asked about a prefab system.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Monday, February 06, 2006 2:20 PM
so, 5x8 over 5x9 ok. and will 18" be better than 14"?? i am guessing the longer you go the quieter it gets.... also, what about magnaflow's racing mufflers?? they are true straight through design which would be better for performance gains. now i gotta find a site where i can buy a resonator using paypal, cause hottexhaust.com doesnt offer paypal service...
Monday, February 06, 2006 2:25 PM
You said 5x8 or 4x9 not 5x8 or 5x9. I don't think they make a 5x9 but if they do, even better. The bigger the quieter, yes. Use an oval muffler not the round racing one, it will be louder and it won't make any more noticable power. I think one of the sponsers sell magnaflow resonators but I don't remember if it was Jason or Aaron, either way both take paypal I think.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Monday, February 06, 2006 2:38 PM
yeah i meant 4x9, but i dont want it to be real quiet...
Monday, February 06, 2006 2:41 PM
Get a header to then, it will be louder. I'd go with the PS Armor coated 4-1.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Monday, February 06, 2006 8:50 PM
def. get the 18" 5X8, 14 would drive you crazy. the 18 with a decent sized res. in there will give a nice deep tone not to loud and not to quite
Monday, February 06, 2006 9:53 PM
Matt wrote:def. get the 18" 5X8, 14 would drive you crazy. the 18 with a decent sized res. in there will give a nice deep tone not to loud and not to quite
Bigger is better to a certian extent in this case. Smaller is just louder and less deep / smooth. Matt's right.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 5:44 AM
thanks for all your help guys, i made up my mind and ordered my exhaust last night. i went with the Megan Racing Cat-back, was only $327 after shipping on ebay. Cant wait to get it, should take a few days for the transfer to complete since i used paypal, then 3 or 4 days to ship. i cant wait....
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search