faster, faster, faster - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
faster, faster, faster
Sunday, February 05, 2006 12:39 PM
i have a 2.2 97 sunfire and i want to someday run 13's i am just starting now and i dont want to do things like buy an intake for 200$$$ if im goin to boost it. i would like to know what mods do to run 13's of somewhere in that range. i have decided for sure if im goin to do it for sure but i want to see what would be involved to get it this fast and yes i know $$$ is speed

Re: faster, faster, faster
Sunday, February 05, 2006 12:41 PM
lots of boost or nitrous and built up engine and lots of $$$$$$$$

The one, the only, ME.
Sunday, February 05, 2006 1:04 PM
^^^ What he said or just swap in a more powerful motor and go from there. You could probaly swap a 2.4 in and make in run 13's cheaper than you could building a 2200.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Sunday, February 05, 2006 1:48 PM
option 1 engine swap

option 2 trade in that POS and buy a Z or an eco with a 5-Speed. Then buy a wet kit and spray a 75 shot...

Sunday, February 05, 2006 2:11 PM
Yeah man, that 20-30 extra HP you'll get from a DOHC swap or trade-in is definately worth the $$$($) and downtime/hassle you'll spend to get it...
/sarcasm
You have a 97, which means you are unfortunately stuck with the side-fed injectors. I'd look into raiding a junkyard for a 2200 head and cooling system.
If you're willing to do some decent weight reduction, you could run 13s with just a turbo kit on a stock engine, but otherwise you should look into Eagle rods, forged pistons, and ARP headstuds.
Looking at your registry, it looks like you're more into the exterior/audio stuff, which means you're going to need gobs of power to get good times. Show cars don't win races.

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Sunday, February 05, 2006 5:10 PM
yeah i asked this question to see if it is even worth while. i think im just goin to do little things here and there to have fun for a while after that ditch it and buy something nice when i work full time. im stil in high school so. i dont think im goin to go with a jbody again this car was a gift to me and the things that your see in my profile im still workin on them. my fiberglassing would all be done but unfortuanlty i broke my hand which result in it being very hard to sand. my exaust is being peiced together and will proble be on in a couple of weeks. thanks fot the feedback.
Monday, February 06, 2006 6:43 AM
OHV notec wrote:Yeah man, that 20-30 extra HP you'll get from a DOHC swap or trade-in is definately worth the $$$($) and downtime/hassle you'll spend to get it...
/sarcasm
You have a 97, which means you are unfortunately stuck with the side-fed injectors. I'd look into raiding a junkyard for a 2200 head and cooling system.
If you're willing to do some decent weight reduction, you could run 13s with just a turbo kit on a stock engine, but otherwise you should look into Eagle rods, forged pistons, and ARP headstuds.
Looking at your registry, it looks like you're more into the exterior/audio stuff, which means you're going to need gobs of power to get good times. Show cars don't win races.[/quote

your entitled to your own opinion and so are we.... my car.... eco 5-speed, basic bolts on, cams and nitrous running 18.08 @106 with the only keeping me out of the 12's was the speed liiter still hooked up.... I had to let off WELL before the end of track..... do the same mods to a 2.2 and your what knocking on he door of 14's? there may not be a huge power difference stock but the potential and how it reacts to mods is more then more doing the swap. With an eco or a Z you don't have to dump your life savings into it to hit 300 WHP.

Monday, February 06, 2006 10:33 AM
Get an Eclipse GSX! I've completely given up on running 13's with an LN2. It's possible but not worth all the hassle. The Ecos and LD9s are way better suited for that kind of power, and by the time you get done spending 4 or 5 grand and gutting the car, the guy with the Ecotec next to you will probably have spent less money, made it into the 13's, and still have a full interior.

Opfer benotigt. Keine Erfahrung notwendig.

Victims needed. No experience necessary.
Monday, February 06, 2006 10:49 AM
Just refer to this thread Mitch, and you'll see that anything's possible:
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=342764&t=342764

Monday, February 06, 2006 5:47 PM
You have a 97, which means you are unfortunately stuck with the side-fed injectors. I'd look into raiding a junkyard for a 2200 head and cooling system.why??????
if i would look into doin a port and polish in the meantime while i have the head off is there any small things i can do to increase power maeby something with valves or cam or sooo. i dont want to spend to much though very limited funs. i have come to the conclusion that i dont plan on runing 13 or anything like that but to make it a fun street car. but in order to have fun i need give it some more power
Monday, February 06, 2006 6:10 PM
Darkstars wrote:your entitled to your own opinion and so are we.... my car.... eco 5-speed, basic bolts on, cams and nitrous running 18.08 @106 with the only keeping me out of the 12's was the speed liiter still hooked up.... I had to let off WELL before the end of track..... do the same mods to a 2.2 and your what knocking on he door of 14's? there may not be a huge power difference stock but the potential and how it reacts to mods is more then more doing the swap. With an eco or a Z you don't have to dump your life savings into it to hit 300 WHP.
I understand you're entitled to your opinion, but I find it rediculous that it's come to everyone automatically saying that you can't make power on an OHV.
Knocking on the door of 14s? You'd definately be in the 13s with that on an OHV (depending on the shot size of course, but I'm assuming you were running at least a 75), 1 second behind the DOHC where you started. Sure, your DOHC has increased air flow through the head, but that will really only give you an increased advantage you if you're running revving higher for you cam(s), or boosting. When adding power through N2O, engine efficiency gives no benefit...50 shot for you is the same as a 50 shot for us
Now, what should he swap to...a twin cam or ECO?

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search