exhaust too loud in car - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
exhaust too loud in car
Sunday, February 05, 2006 9:28 PM
well, i just installed a aftermarket muffler on my car (04 ls sport)the exhaust is so loud inside my car that i am taking it off.its not like leaving your door open and listening to your exhaust but just a bad resonating inside,especially when the trans. drops down into higher gear(auto)like overdrive.does anyone else have this prob. and what can be done to quiet the inside (other than the obvios,dynamat)i love the sound outside so i would like to keep the muffler.any help would be great.thanx

Re: exhaust too loud in car
Sunday, February 05, 2006 9:34 PM
Did you just do the muffler? Or the entire system? Either way, add a decent sized resonator/glasspack to the system directly after the cat, and that'll quiet it down. I would highly suggest a Dynomax Thrush Magnum glasspack. You can pick one up from summitracing.com for around $20.

Sunday, February 05, 2006 9:46 PM
I have the same problem with my 2005 Cav. I was going to install a larger resonator (as someone here suggested to me) but I got used to the sound. From what I have read on this forum the past month, an 18" resonator would cut the sound down a lot.
http://www.seffects.com/parts/VIB1791.htm

Here is what mine sounds like from inside the car. Windows up, auto trans, going from 0 to 70 mph. (its from my phone, so its not the best quality).
http://media.putfile.com/0-to-70-MPH-

Does it sound like that?

Sunday, February 05, 2006 10:12 PM
I have a dual muffler setup, would an 18" resonator be a good investment or would I need a larger one? Which is a good one to buy?
Sunday, February 05, 2006 10:25 PM
Chris Mackinlay wrote:I have a dual muffler setup, would an 18" resonator be a good investment or would I need a larger one? Which is a good one to buy?
You should go ahead and shoot for a 25" overall length or so... crawl under there and measure how much room you actually have, since I'm not sure where the piping to 2nd muffler splits off from the main pipe. Get the largest one you can fit in there, you'll be glad you did, seriously.

Summitracing.com. for about $20. Dynomax Thrush Magnum Glasspack. Go there and search for one that fits your pipe diameter (i.e. 2.25", 2.5", etc), and pick out the one with the longest overall length you can fit in there.

Sunday, February 05, 2006 10:30 PM
orange04ls wrote:well, i just installed a aftermarket muffler on my car (04 ls sport)the exhaust is so loud inside my car that i am taking it off.its not like leaving your door open and listening to your exhaust but just a bad resonating inside,especially when the trans. drops down into higher gear(auto)like overdrive.does anyone else have this prob. and what can be done to quiet the inside (other than the obvios,dynamat)i love the sound outside so i would like to keep the muffler.any help would be great.thanx
I remember when all I had was a fart-can muffler on stock piping... the loudness inside the car would drive me f**king crazy. LOL! Refer to my last post here to decide what you should do.

You are on stock piping right? Not 2.25" or 2.5" piping?

Sunday, February 05, 2006 10:46 PM
So this would be the best glasspack (if I can fit it): WLK-24211?
Next Best: SUM-630812?
It says they're steel, would they rust?
And is there a difference between a resonator and a glasspack?
-Thanks
Sunday, February 05, 2006 11:12 PM
Chris Mackinlay wrote:So this would be the best glasspack (if I can fit it): WLK-24211?
Next Best: SUM-630812?
It says they're steel, would they rust?
And is there a difference between a resonator and a glasspack?
-Thanks
First one's 35" overall... you'll probably never get that in there... never know. Looks WAY too long. I can't stress this enough:
Get under the car and measure how much straight pipe you have to work with after your catalytic converter flange and before the first bend and use that distance to judge how big of a resonator/glasspack you get.

A few issues here:
1) Rust should not be a problem. No more of a risk than anything else (except in a few unique cases).
2) Resonator and glasspack are different. A resonator does basically what it implies, it "resonates" it differently that original sound coming into it to soften it (right someone?), whereas a glasspack ABSORBS the sound to dull it a bit.
3)I see you have the Magnaflow cat-back system, so I assume 2.25" pipe diameter. Here:

WLK-24201, 25"
WLK-24203, 27"
BIG-50251FLT, 24" (It's a Flowtech, bit appears similar to the other 2 Dynomax's)

I don't know anything first-hand about the Summit Racing branded resonators, so no comment there.

Sunday, February 05, 2006 11:13 PM
Since I'm putting in a header, is a lower engine mount necessary, I'm planning on it in the future, but I want to know if that's something that should go on before the header.
Sunday, February 05, 2006 11:18 PM
Sorry for double-post.

Measure that distance when you get the chance, post back here on what it is, and then I'll help you find the best one. The ones I listed might not necessarily fit since I don't know where the other pipe splits off of the main pipe to the second muffler, that might reduce useful distance depending where it is. So yea, just let us know what that distance is.

Sunday, February 05, 2006 11:22 PM
Chris Mackinlay wrote:Since I'm putting in a header, is a lower engine mount necessary, I'm planning on it in the future, but I want to know if that's something that should go on before the header.
Not required, but it certainly couldn't hurt. If you can, just go ahead and just do both at the same time, as well as the UPPER mount insert. Never know, the mounts might help relieve some of the initial creaking/rubbing noises you hear from your new header, and it's certainly kinder to the piping and the header's flange since motor movement won't put so much stress/flex on everything. I say go for it if you can, but it's certainly not mandatory.

Sunday, February 05, 2006 11:46 PM
Wow, i could have sworn the 35" said 25". Just to clarify: You're saying the glasspack will eliminate the raspy sound so I'll have a deeper/quieter/better sounding (in most opinions) tone.

Turns out that search button works. I found what I needed about the mounts. Thanks though.

I'll measure my pipe tomorrow. Thanks.
Monday, February 06, 2006 12:01 AM
Search is you friend .

Monday, February 06, 2006 12:04 AM
Your exhaust can never be too loud.

Monday, February 06, 2006 12:11 AM
Caviboy90 wrote:Your exhaust can never be too loud.
Gonna do that to your sunbird?

Not makin fun, just jerkin your chain since I just went through your whole 2.0L OHV N/A thread

Monday, February 06, 2006 12:12 AM
HELL YEA MY EXHAUST ON ALL MY CARS ARE VERY LOUD
JUST LIKE MY 1990 CAVI RS MAY IT RIP.

Monday, February 06, 2006 7:40 AM
yeah its the stock pipe,i really dont understand what a resonator will do,i mean ther\ir is an extremly large one on the car from the factory.i want the sound outside (no inside)wouldnt a resonatoer quiet it down outside too
Monday, February 06, 2006 7:44 AM
ahh to be young again with no kids. i have a 5 year old boy who loves the sound,and a 6 month old girl who prob.dont like it too much.that and i dont want them deaf by the time thier 10.
Monday, February 06, 2006 8:06 AM
Sometimes its the type of muffler combined with the tips that sets off a terrible resonence thru the car. Take for example a 40 series Flowmaster muffler single 3 inch inlet dual 2 1/2 outlets with Camaro tips. Looks great sounds awesome driveing around town. get on the highway and hit anything above 45 mph and your ears start to bleed ! I took mine off and replaced it with 2 Dynomax 2 1/2 offset in offset out mufflers with dual tips and the problem went away. In fact it not very loud in the car at all.

Good Luck sometimes you just need to experiment to get the sound you want.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Monday, February 06, 2006 9:20 AM
orange04ls wrote:yeah its the stock pipe,i really dont understand what a resonator will do,i mean ther\ir is an extremly large one on the car from the factory.i want the sound outside (no inside)wouldnt a resonatoer quiet it down outside too

No, the current setup does not have an extremely large resonator, that's just the sound of your stock piping, cat, and muffler. You changed the variables a bit by adding an aftermarket muffler, changing the noise. Its louder and the only way to make it quieter would be to either replace it with the stock muffler or add a resonator. A resonator basically absorbs certain sound waves and messes around with sound frequencies so that the exhaust winds up having a deeper/smoother tone. The exhaust will quiet down - both inside and out. If you want to change how it sounds on the interior then start adding padding inside your car.

Point of reference - when purchasing a resonator, make sure to look for those with perforated cores. Louvered cores have shown to negatively affect power.

Blown.
Monday, February 06, 2006 9:49 AM
add the resonator....

also think, most times if its really loud in the car, its prob crap loud outside the car. theres quite a few post in the regionals of people complaining about tickets.

Monday, February 06, 2006 10:33 AM
So which is better for a deeper sound, a resonator or glasspack.

LD9 Fury!, I have about 26" from the start of the cat back flange to the first bend. The dual muffler bend doesn't start until after that big hump above the axle.
Monday, February 06, 2006 10:57 AM
Chris Mackinlay wrote:LD9 Fury!, I have about 26" from the start of the cat back flange to the first bend. The dual muffler bend doesn't start until after that big hump above the axle.
You can shoot for the 25" overall, WLK-24201, or go for the 27" overall, WLK-24203, and shave 1" to 1.5" off the ends (got 2.5" to work with on each end) so that it'll fit, and you'll end up with a longer 22"-case-length than the 25" overall WLK-24201 with a 20"-case-length. I worded that confusingly, but seriously it does make sense. LOL

Monday, February 06, 2006 11:10 AM
Chris Mackinlay wrote: So which is better for a deeper sound, a resonator or glasspack.

LD9 Fury!, I have about 26" from the start of the cat back flange to the first bend. The dual muffler bend doesn't start until after that big hump above the axle.

they are BOTH THE SAME THING...

long history lesson short.

resonators are smaller mufflers

glass packs are a type of resonator. there are different materials inside of different resonators.

Monday, February 06, 2006 8:00 PM
Thanks for the input and advice, just one more thing. What are the torque specs on the header?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search