check this out - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
check this out
Saturday, February 04, 2006 8:57 PM
Well im have a hell of a time trying to take my engine out first i tryed to pull out the engine with out the transmmision ,,, that didnt work the tranny wouldnt even budge . so i guess im going to pull the tranny and engine together. well now im kind of confused. does the "transaxle" come out with the Tranny ? and is the Transmmision and "transaxle" one piece? ..... umm does any one have any pictures of a pulled engine with the transmission attached or any pics of a pulled engine? thanks.. i have a 96 2.4 auto... thanks alot

Re: check this out
Saturday, February 04, 2006 9:06 PM
Just disconnect the engine from the car, meaning wires, hoses, bolts, etc. and DROP everything.
Thats what we did for my ecotec. It came out with the engine, tranny and axles.

-Seth

Saturday, February 04, 2006 9:09 PM
the transaxle and transmission are one in the same. it's called a transaxle because the car is a front wheel drive, and it contains the drive axles for the car.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Saturday, February 04, 2006 9:16 PM
what do you mean by dropping everything ??? im doing this in my garage so i have to pull it from the top. what do i have to disconnect from the "transaxle" so it will come out freely with engine ? and any pics ? thanks ive been reading and im just tired trying to figure it out..
Saturday, February 04, 2006 9:24 PM
Jack you car up as secure as possible on jack stands, then place a large padded floor jack under the engine for support. Then disconnect everything. As soon as its free, just lower the engine down on the floor jack from under the car. Its much easier that way.

Saturday, February 04, 2006 9:39 PM
wow, not so sure he should be doing this! I yanked everything from the top. Did it in two cavaliers and didn't seem to have any problems.

Go to www.bradiscool.com and look up garage area, go to wheel bearing install. This will tell you how to get the wheel bearings off and what to do to get the axles out of the tranny. After that, make sure you have both motor and both tranny mounts unbolted (while its on an engine hoist) Make sure the chain you use, is connected so that the motor comes out tilted, the Belt side of the motor is higher than the tranny side, makes things MUCH easier! Make sure you disconnected your wiring harness from the chassis, including the ecu, the abs, this big connection under the battery tray, also the main harness coming from the cockpit. Don't forget about the fuel lines and the heater core aswell. A/C hs to come apart and so does the powersteering lines. I know I am forgetting something but thats all I got for now.

Scott

When I boost, you boost, we boost
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You have been banned from NEJBODY.
You've displayed wayyy too many acts of pushing people to their limits.
It's never cool to tear people down for what they want to do.
NEJBODY is a team. We're not the same as JBO where everyone bashes on eachother.
I'm surprised you show up to our meets after half of the things you say on here.
Saturday, February 04, 2006 9:52 PM
Roy Hernandez wrote:what do you mean by dropping everything ??? im doing this in my garage so i have to pull it from the top. what do i have to disconnect from the "transaxle" so it will come out freely with engine ? and any pics ? thanks ive been reading and im just tired trying to figure it out..

El Fuego ( the unstable ) wrote:Jack you car up as secure as possible on jack stands, then place a large padded floor jack under the engine for support. Then disconnect everything. As soon as its free, just lower the engine down on the floor jack from under the car. Its much easier that way.

Basically.
If you have an engine hoist you can undo the lines and wires and such, attach the engine to the hoist and then undo the bolts that are holding the engine on and lower it down to the floor.
Its easier too cause you don't have to undo any of the axles or anything.

-Seth

Saturday, February 04, 2006 10:10 PM
wait, so if you don't wanna take out the tranny too you can just drop the motor instead? I mean, I had to take out the trannies in both the cavs I did. I aws wondering how you would take out just the motor tho.

Scott

When I boost, you boost, we boost
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You have been banned from NEJBODY.
You've displayed wayyy too many acts of pushing people to their limits.
It's never cool to tear people down for what they want to do.
NEJBODY is a team. We're not the same as JBO where everyone bashes on eachother.
I'm surprised you show up to our meets after half of the things you say on here.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search