56mm throttle body? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
56mm throttle body?
Sunday, January 29, 2006 1:38 PM
When you buy a bigger throttle body what else do you have to change on your car? And with an intake how much of a noticable power gain will you get?

Re: 56mm throttle body?
Sunday, January 29, 2006 3:04 PM
You dont have to change anything other than the throttle body, I'd say with an intake 6-7hp gain, and it will be noticeable in mid-high rpm ranges
Sunday, January 29, 2006 9:11 PM
well i have an intake on my car now with a stock throttle body on a 2.2 eco. wont i have to buy a intake to fit the new throttle body?
Sunday, January 29, 2006 9:25 PM
Brett Dixon wrote:You dont have to change anything other than the throttle body, I'd say with an intake 6-7hp gain, and it will be noticeable in mid-high rpm ranges

I wouldn't tell people any type of HP gains because she hasn't even listed what throttle body size shes going after, so you don't know if it is too big.

chev_cav04 wrote:well i have an intake on my car now with a stock throttle body on a 2.2 eco. wont i have to buy a intake to fit the new throttle body?

Honestly, a bigger throttle body isn't necessary in your stage of the game. The only one really available besides getting one custom made and fitting a bigger butterfly on, are the 62 MM throttle bodies. If you were to put such a big throttle body on it will mess with your powerband and start to shift it upwards. You might gain horsepower but you will lose low end power...so it's possible it will be a "trade off".

I would focus more on other bolt ons besides the throttle body for now. Jumping from about 57-58 MM to 62 MM is a big jump.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, January 29, 2006 9:52 PM
Well the subject read 56mm throttle body so I assumed that they were upgrading from stock to a 56mm throttle body, that would give a pretty good gain, 56 isnt too big for N/A at all.
Sunday, January 29, 2006 9:58 PM
Brett Dixon wrote:Well the subject read 56mm throttle body so I assumed that they were upgrading from stock to a 56mm throttle body, that would give a pretty good gain, 56 isnt too big for N/A at all.

No problem but just an FYI, a stock ECOTEC throttle body is about 57-58 MM.

Sunday, January 29, 2006 10:28 PM
For one thing Im a HE.. and i didnt know the stock throttle body size, i thought its was 48mm so i guess 56 wouldnt be an upgrade. ..thanks for the info guys
Sunday, January 29, 2006 10:39 PM
chev_cav04 wrote:For one thing Im a HE.. and i didnt know the stock throttle body size, i thought its was 48mm so i guess 56 wouldnt be an upgrade. ..thanks for the info guys

Oh Snap! I did call you a she...my bad...didn't even realize that I typed that.

And damn...48 MM, that's small as s**t lol.

You're welcome though.

Monday, January 30, 2006 12:44 AM
lol hes right tho if you have an ecotec with the mods you have listed in your profile i wouldnt bother with the TB unless you find a used one cheap or something..

O and if you do pretend to be a female you will get more and quicker responses to your posts on here!

Monday, January 30, 2006 1:13 AM
bluzr2 wrote:lol hes right tho if you have an ecotec with the mods you have listed in your profile i wouldnt bother with the TB unless you find a used one cheap or something..

O and if you do pretend to be a female you will get more and quicker responses to your posts on here!

LOL he's right...vagina does take over the JBO sometimes

Monday, January 30, 2006 4:15 PM
Quote:

Honestly, a bigger throttle body isn't necessary in your stage of the game. The only one really available besides getting one custom made and fitting a bigger butterfly on, are the 62 MM throttle bodies. If you were to put such a big throttle body on it will mess with your powerband and start to shift it upwards. You might gain horsepower but you will lose low end power...so it's possible it will be a "trade off".

This is very true. When I put my 62mm on my 2.4 wow what a difference. I did lose some bottom end. I really gained on the top. At 4,000 RPM this thing really kicks in. KInds sucks in a way I like bottom end.

2nd Place is the first loser

Monday, January 30, 2006 5:32 PM
In relation to this thread...I ditched my stock TB and got a RSM 62MM TB with intake...did lose some low end power...you are right NJHK...but would not a header restore the lost low end power or not?
Saturday, February 25, 2006 4:48 PM
I dont mean to thread jack, but this post is month old and my question is not worth a new topic so: What do you guys think about this 60mm Throttle Body?
LINK
I don't know much about throttle bodies so could you give me some info like is this a good choice for a completely stock '04 ecotec with just a k&n short ram intake? I mostly want it for acceleration and sound but i dont want it to hiss or sound fake like some others. I definetly dont want to loose low end power just for sound. How hard are they to install. I dont want to get into too much on the install. Also will this fit my k&n intake? Any info would be great.

Saturday, February 25, 2006 10:49 PM
I have a 60 mm T/B on my eco with a CAI and full exhaust. Yes i did noose some low end power, but the car pulls harder from about 4K up.

I'm actually thinking about putting my stock T/B back on to see what kind of difference I get at the track.

Sunday, February 26, 2006 5:49 PM
Where can you get a 60 or 62MM Throttle Body for a 1996 2.2?
Sunday, February 26, 2006 6:08 PM
we covered stock size TB's in this for Eco's but how bout for the other other 3rd gens? specifically for me a 2200 TB?
Monday, February 27, 2006 5:03 PM
Raymond Soos wrote:Where can you get a 60 or 62MM Throttle Body for a 1996 2.2?

Well, for starters, the TB is cast into the intake plenum on the '97 & older 2.2s and it is 52mm. Secondly, You didn't complete your profile so we don't know what you have done to your car already. Most likely you are N/A, so anything over about 56mm will just kill the low end and throttle response, making you slower. A good machine shop can bore it over and make you a new throttle plate. Something in the 54-56mm range, depending on the power band you are looking to run in, will be good, along with the other "standard" bolt-ons.

Monday, February 27, 2006 11:28 PM
DEREK AUTEN wrote:In relation to this thread...I ditched my stock TB and got a RSM 62MM TB with intake...did lose some low end power...you are right NJHK...but would not a header restore the lost low end power or not?

No because of intake velocity, its lower in low RPMs meaning less velocity meaning less low end power. atleast thats my understanding correct me if i'm wrong.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 7:51 AM
The CAI's should not be affected at all, the outside walls shoudl stay at about the same size.........

wait for it... wait for it... NOW GO!! ---> '02 LS Sport <---
Yahoo IM : buzz122 AIM : buzz122cav
Tuesday, February 28, 2006 8:34 AM
I thought the OHV motors had a 52 MM throttle body.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 9:35 AM
they do

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 4:09 PM
MadJack wrote:...the TB is cast into the intake plenum on the '97 & older 2.2s and it is 52mm....

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 4:16 PM
oops

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search