2.4 cavalier motor bulid up for stock car - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4 cavalier motor bulid up for stock car
Tuesday, January 24, 2006 8:19 PM
were looking to build a motor. so what i want to know is how big to bore out the cylinders, what kind of pistons to run, cam shaft, crank shaft. looking to spend -$1000 for a dirt track stock car has to appear to be stock no nitrous any thing like that. any help would be great thanks

Re: 2.4 cavalier motor bulid up for stock car
Tuesday, January 24, 2006 9:21 PM
bore it .040 over, run higher compression, have your crank worked by a machine shop (balanced, polished, etc), secret cams would work well, port the head definitely... and i'd check out the FAQ forum for more information.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Tuesday, January 24, 2006 9:45 PM
Its going to tough to get a whole lot done and spend only $1000. Paying for basic machine work and clean up will suck up most of, if not all of your budget.
Tuesday, January 24, 2006 9:57 PM
pmd28 wrote:Its going to tough to get a whole lot done and spend only $1000. Paying for basic machine work and clean up will suck up most of, if not all of your budget.

Find a machine shop that isn't overly expensive.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 10:13 PM
Leave the shortblock stock.
Use a ported/rebuilt 086 head and W41 cams. Use megasquirt.
That should eat up most of your budget.
Don't waste your time with the secret cams.
Tuesday, January 24, 2006 10:16 PM
eh he brings up a good point. the 086 head would bring up your compression to over 11:1 and the machine work for that would cost less than an overbore and new pistons. Good call NOSfly!

Saturday, January 28, 2006 12:04 PM
Spotabee Racing (The Fake Z24) wrote:
pmd28 wrote:Its going to tough to get a whole lot done and spend only $1000. Paying for basic machine work and clean up will suck up most of, if not all of your budget.

Find a machine shop that isn't overly expensive.

Most machine shops run about the same price on everything. If you go to one that is not "overly expensive" you get crap work. Head porting and polishing along with block work isn't cheap it very labor intensive. With only $1000 to spend he wouldn't have money for good pistons, rods or anything else that goes along with a "quality" build. You get what you pay for.

The 086 head is definitely the way to go. Alabama Cylinder head sells a brand new one complete valves, springs, etc. for around $250.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search