BALANCED MOTOR - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
BALANCED MOTOR
Tuesday, January 24, 2006 2:30 PM
Ok the machine shop that i had my block work done at said that i didnt need to have the bottom end balanced because its a 4 cylinder? Anyone heard of this? He gave me his word that it didnt need to be done but i see basically everyone here that has had there motor rebuilt has had it balanced. What should i do?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2090440

Re: BALANCED MOTOR
Tuesday, January 24, 2006 3:56 PM
if you changed your pistons or rods, it's better to balanced the bottom end to be sure everything as the same weight.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 5:12 PM
balance it ,its alot more important on a 4cyl

then it would be on a V6 or V8

the high rpm nature of the 4cyl , it will help out in the long run

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 5:32 PM
Go to a different motor shop. With all of these stories you keep posting about this place I would be wary of any work he does on your car. He doesn't seem to give a @!#$ about it.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Tuesday, January 24, 2006 6:38 PM
I agree. The motor will likely be fine IF you treat it like a stock motor, but given the abuse you're going to put that motor through, balanced internals are very important. By doing so you reduce the risk of spun bearings, broken wrist pins, etc. It also reduces stress on the crank components, bearings, etc. It'll rev smoother, last longer.

Opfer benotigt. Keine Erfahrung notwendig.

Victims needed. No experience necessary.
Tuesday, January 24, 2006 6:42 PM
any price quotes on balancing the motor?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2090440

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 6:51 PM
No clue. I've spent an extra $500 on that sort of thing before, but I used the same shop for everything and they probably cut me a deal. That's something you need to ask around. This shop you went thru, I'm not sure. Sounds like they give you quite a bit or runaround. But if you want to use them, just go in and TELL them you want the motor balanced. Don't ask if you need it, tell them you want it. Granted, they say you don't need it, but hell, you don't NEED nitrous. You use it anyway, right? If they don't want to do it, that's their loss. If they really want your business and know what they're doing, there's no reason they couldn't / shouldn't / wouldn't do it for you.

Opfer benotigt. Keine Erfahrung notwendig.

Victims needed. No experience necessary.
Tuesday, January 24, 2006 8:55 PM
is everything balanced before you put it together??

View my MySpace
Tuesday, January 24, 2006 9:15 PM
The crank is definitely one thing you want to make sure is balanced.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Wednesday, January 25, 2006 7:15 AM
Yes, balancing is needed on a four cylinder engine, but it isn't quite as critical as on other motors. You will still benefit from reduced NVH, wich results in longer bearing life, reduced parasitic power loss and smoother running engine, but you wouldn't see the same percentage of gains as form a V6/8.

Because the L4 rod throws are 180deg. apart, the most critical part of the balance job is the piston,ring and small end of the rod are weight matched and the big end of the rods are matched also. The crank should be balanced from the factory, but remeber the stock tolorances are much looser than performance/racing tolerances.

On my motor, the only weight matching I had to do was the rods, which i did the beam polishing on. I didn't need any metal removed from or added to the pistons or crank.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 7:34 AM
This guy sounds like a goof ! I'd say get your engine out of his shop and take it to a real one. Even factory engines have weight difference tollerences when they are assembled at the factory. How long do you suppose your engine will last if one rod & piston assembly weights .... oh lets say 20 grams more or less then the rest ? Trust me you may not need the same amount of work that would go into a NASCAR engine but it should have some attention paid to it rather then just slap the thing together.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 7:40 AM
Different shop!
This is obviously a traditional hot rodder. Tell them you and some other machine shop found a some replacements for displacement and take your motor back.

Cardomain|Myspace

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search