More Performance Wanted. - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
More Performance Wanted.
Tuesday, January 17, 2006 6:26 PM
I just picked up a 98 sunfire 2.4 5 spd
I drag small block s-10's so i decided to get a 4 cyl and have a little fun.

I am looking for the best mods. that actually will make power on the dyno.

So far i did a header, intake.

What else is out that will boost these cars hp/tq?

I have a zex nitrous kit i am installing, looking for more bolt on mods.

Ps. these trannys are junk. guy i bought it from didnt even race it and went through 2 trannys so i am also looking for a better stronger tranny or?

Let me know. nice site

Re: More Performance Wanted.
Tuesday, January 17, 2006 6:33 PM
I'm definitely not one of the most knowledgeable people around, and I am sure some will come on to give you some better, more speicific information. However, personally I am gonna guess most will tell you to go turbo Has the most possible potential out of the boosts, will give you the dyno #'s, the 1/4 times, and anything you want it to with some money, time, and patience. So good luck to you and

Welcome to the Addiction

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 7:23 PM
About the transmission, best thing you can do is work on the internals of it because I don't believe you can put the Getrags on them...sorry.

How much money are you willing to spend?

How much power are you realistically looking to gain?

I will always say that the best power gains and reliability for the price is boost. If you want some impressive power, look into a turbo setup. Granted, you could do a 75 shot or 100 shot on the 2.4s and run 13s but how much fun is it to have a 15 second car only be fast for a matter of seconds untill you run out of juice and have to refill it and you could only feel powerful at full throttle.

If you choose to go the Nitrous path, that's on you and that's your decision but in my opinion, Boost outdoes nitrous in so many ways. Now...boost + nitrous = fun though lol

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 7:41 PM
^^ Adam.....boost isnt always reliability....alot of ppl say boost is least reliable. But then again N20 isnt really reliable either.

Unless they are both used correctly...

2007 GM Tuner Bash...HELL YEA
PA,MD,NJ,DE,NY and all states north caravan
Tuesday, January 17, 2006 9:32 PM
Seems you're mostly interested in drag racing. Cams, crank and alternator pulleys, cat-back exhaust, rods, port & polish head, throttle body, intake manifold, upper and lower motor mounts, more powerful clutch, a few decent electronic goodies are available, and of course BOOST!!!

I'm sure you are aware, but don't forget that going fast in a straight line isn't all there is to performance. I recently lowered my 99 Z24 1.5" and installed a set of kickass strut tower bars, and that result alone was almost as fun as all my power-adding mods. Of course there's a lot more suspension stuff that can be done. Cavaliers and Sunfires are fairly lightweight, agile little suckers when suspension components are "tuned" also.

Yea, our Isuzu 5-spd trannys suck, that's all there is to it Unless you REALLY wanna do internal work, but that's a scarry thought. Still, there's no reason for the previous owner to have gone through 2 trannys, even on a car that's not 8 years old. They must have been abused badly, or driven/repaired poorly.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 11:07 PM
I know what you mean about the Isuzu tranny's. They are a pile of @!#$. I swapped in a New Venture NVG-T550 tranny out of a Beretta GTZ, and man that tranny is MUCH tougher. Gear ratios are also better.I'm writing a How-To about swapping the tranny. If you need info, let me know.

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Wednesday, January 18, 2006 3:30 AM
Boardorgohome(loves NC again) wrote:^^ Adam.....boost isnt always reliability....alot of ppl say boost is least reliable. But then again N20 isnt really reliable either.

Unless they are both used correctly...

Boost is just as reliable as your setup. If you have a crappy setup and use cheap parts, you're gonna have more problems.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Thursday, January 19, 2006 3:39 PM
I'm in the same boat as you, I got a 2000 Z24 5spd about 3 weeks ago and it had an OBX header and a catback on it already. So far I've brought upper/lower poly engine mounts, front/rear strut tower bars, poly trans mounts, lower subframe brace, custom full length frame connectors, tubular lower control arms, B&M engine oil cooler, an HO intake and adapter, another 2.4 head (so I can port & polish it) and a shortram intake pipe. I also have a complete 2.4 engine from a friend ( hasn't been pulled from the car yet) and a line on a 086 HO head with cams (which will be ported & polished for my turbo engine buildup using the spare 2.4). I also intend to get Tein SS true coilovers bigger swaybars & brakes a J-Body kit, Prostock rear spoiler and SS style hood along with some 18's and new tires. This car is already a blast to drive and I can't wait to get the head/cams/intake/tb done along with the suspension for this year then doing the turbo motor and body stuff next year.

2000 Z24 5spd header & catback for now.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search