Spot for a oil temp. sensor.......with drilling! - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Spot for a oil temp. sensor.......with drilling!
Monday, January 16, 2006 3:11 PM
Got a 2.2 ECOTEC and putting apillar pod into the interior....got a oil temp. sensor with the pod....but now where do i mount it. I don't want to have to drill holes in the oil pan. Maybe someone out there knows or has put one on/in. thanks for any help!

Re: Spot for a oil temp. sensor.......with drillin
Monday, January 16, 2006 5:50 PM
Grab a small oil cooler ($50-$60) and just use a T- fitting and go off that.

Monday, January 16, 2006 6:00 PM
would the oil cooler go off the radiator....need a little more info on that. how hard would that be ...scale of one to ten...ten being the hardest.....
Monday, January 16, 2006 6:06 PM
Let me do a little "coaching" here...

Oil coolers are just like radiators... but run from the block/head, back to the oil sump. You probably have a couple of freeze plugs that are blocking oil wells that you could remove and make a line off of.

Scale of 1-10 difficulty..... 4, 5, 6, depending on the tools you have.

Scale of 1-10 time..... 2-5, depending on skill level.

Monday, January 16, 2006 6:25 PM
Derek- I'm assuming you're kind of new to this kind of thing, so I'm going to recommend you don't do anything that involves removing freeze plugs, etc. The simplest way to run a cooler is to use a sandwich bypass between the filter and the block. They're available from Summit, Jegs, etc. for pretty cheap. It has an inlet and an outlet, you just run the cooler lines to that. Very simple.

The best place is the pan, since thats the most "stable" reading, but I understand if you don't want to put a hole in it.

Monday, January 16, 2006 6:54 PM
CAHILL - Thanks for the info...yeh I'm kinda new but have a capable amount of know how...removing freeze plugs sounds like overkill, in my opinion. is one of the bypasses you refer too a large project or take another half a quart of oil or something?

2ND - does anyone know the normal temp. for the oil, at normal operating, that is...once the computer is in closed loop mode...was wondering.
Monday, January 16, 2006 7:11 PM
The ecotec has an internal oil filter so you cant use the sandwich type. Sorry.
Monday, January 16, 2006 7:30 PM
HELP....need some more alternatives on what to do now...i dont want to start removing oil plugs....and i dont want to take off the oil pan and drill a hole in it!
Monday, January 16, 2006 8:31 PM
use 1 of these and put it in the head , its your best option next to drilling the pan

its mainly used for oil pressure but will work for the temp also

Monday, January 16, 2006 8:31 PM
Tuesday, January 17, 2006 2:28 PM
97 Cavy - Thanks for the help guy....great idea, but one more question on it. Suggestion on best place to do it on the ecotec. Front, Back, Etc. Thanks,

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search