2.3L cam sensor & motor swap problems - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.3L cam sensor & motor swap problems
Monday, January 16, 2006 2:56 PM
Ok. I have a 95 2.3L auto. I toasted the headgasket and had another 2.3L motor with better mileage sitting on the shelf. I've so far swapped it in and am clipping in all the wiring now. I ran into a problem. The 2.3L that was on the shelf, was a 2.3L 5-spd. I swapped over the trans and everything, but i ran into a few differences.

#1. the exhaust manifold was different. Mainly the flange for the down-pipe. I just swapped it over.

#2. The injector harness has a different plug on it to plug into the engine harness. Not a biggie, im just gonna swap it.

#3. And this is the one i cant figure out. There's no cam sensor. There's a spot where it would go, on the cam cover, but there's no holes for mounting it or anything.

I did a bit of a search, and coundnt find much specific, other than that the cam _should_ have a half-moon shaped lobe to trigger the sensor. Now, i wanna know, can i just swap over the cam covers, so i dont throw a CEL? or will it even matter if that's plugged in (im guessing yes).

And if i change the cam-cover, will i have to change the cam aswell? Or will the cam have the lobe on it?

Also, what are the torque specs for the cam cover bolts. I wanna get a reply before i rip the cam cover off, incase i'd have to change the cam aswell. I really really DONT wanna change the cam if i can get away from it...

-

Re: 2.3L cam sensor & motor swap problems
Monday, January 16, 2006 2:58 PM
Oh, just to clairify, the engine i swapped in was from a '95 Z24 aswell. It's just an LO, not an HO or anything.

-

Monday, January 16, 2006 3:11 PM
Id just swap it over.

Monday, January 16, 2006 3:31 PM
all the 95's i thought had the cam sensor

unless the 5spds didnt have 1 since they were obd1

i know all the autos were obd2

Monday, January 16, 2006 4:19 PM
I talked to a buddy who's ripped apart a few of these motors, he said if the cam sensor's non-existant, chances are the cam doesnt have the pickup. Looks like i get to change the cam. I guess it doesn't matter because i have to pull the timing cover either way...

-

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 1:33 PM
For anyone who runs into this problem, turns out the cam has the lobe on it, even without the cam sensor on the motor. All i had to do was swap the cam cover. so far...

-

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search