opening up the stock 2200 intake - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
opening up the stock 2200 intake
Sunday, January 15, 2006 10:23 AM
has anyone tried to open up the stock 2200 intake to squeeze more power out of it rather than installing a W/CAI??

is this pointless??

i know the 2200 doesnt have a mass airflow sensor, so increasing performance with an intake is restricted, but are there any tweaks i can do to the standard intake.

i currently have a K&N drop in filter element installed, but what about smoothing out the intake pipe. my 1998 cavi has a partly ridged inner pipe. the stock pipe diameter is a good size, asuming atleast 2.5".

i had my intake off the other day and there's kind of a baffle where the intake meets the manifold. i removed this pipe like baffle, but whats the purpose of it?

can the intake box be opened up more so more air is picked up?

anyone have answers?

am i talking to myself?

am i getting annoying yet?

did i remember to feed my fish today?

lol im bored and im rambling, im also going to shut up for now.

Re: opening up the stock 2200 intake
Sunday, January 15, 2006 6:06 PM
better off with an intake...they dont cost that much

Sunday, January 15, 2006 6:14 PM
Phlatcav wrote:better off with an intake...they dont cost that much

exactly. i got my weapon r for $40.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Sunday, January 15, 2006 8:15 PM
I also have the weapon-r dragon intake. You will find that it seems a bit too long towards the end where the filter resides. I took about 1/4 inch off and I managed to not have to unhook the whole fuse setup thats next to it. Also, you can get a little extra if you pop off the driver tire and remove the tuner tube that quiets the air flow moving inward. I have done it...30 minutes-1hour and you'll notice on the high way the air push through the driver side headlight and gives a bit more. More about this modification can be found by www.teamforwardmotion.net or com . Don't wash weapon-r filters with soap and water. Had one fall apart on me. I just went to a local amsoil dealer and bought the cleaner foam solution and the reoiling kit all for 10 bucks. I hate amsoil oil, but it sure beats paying 25 dollars for the one that weapon-r markets, and they themselves don't make it...they just put their label on it. Best of luck to you
Monday, January 16, 2006 11:03 AM
There's no MAF? Is that sensor purely IAT then? DIdn't realize, assumed it was combined IAT/MAF.
Monday, January 16, 2006 3:43 PM
get eatehr a ram air intake for less or go for a cold air intake! not much money spent. as of right now on my 2200 i wish i got the ram air!

Monday, January 16, 2006 5:43 PM
J H wrote:There's no MAF? Is that sensor purely IAT then? DIdn't realize, assumed it was combined IAT/MAF.

the 2200 does not have a MAF sensor. the amount of air flow is programmend into the ECU (computer) of the car. the car will 'relearn' itself for somepart when exposed to a more amounts of air for a period of time i believe.

if too much air flow is given, the car will run lean until it relearns. the best way to get full utilization of your aftermarket intake is to reflash the ECU

Injection is nice but id rather be BLOWN!
Monday, January 16, 2006 6:40 PM
Does it use the O2 sensor to check rich/lean then?
Tuesday, January 17, 2006 4:07 PM
It uses the IAT to measure the air tempature, and as a base for the air desity. It uses a MAP sensor the read the pressure in the manifold to figure the rest of the air desity and volume. With these two figures and the throttle position sensor the computer has a base three dimensional fuel map to work from and adds a predetermined amount of fuel. The #1 O2 sensor will tell the computer how much fuel to add or subtract to run properly.

At wide open throttle(WOT) the computer no longer uses the O2 sensor and a fixed three dimensional fuel map, which is adjusted rich. This map is plotted further than the actual operating ranges of the stock motor, incase something goes mechanically wrong with the motor and the motor goes beyond the actual operating range. This is why at WOT, the car usually runs too rich.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 6:09 PM
J H wrote:Does it use the O2 sensor to check rich/lean then?

I have the 2200 and its not in the intake it is in the exhaust manifold, inbetween the two cats (on the 99's atleast) this is to tell the ecu weather the engin is running to rich or to lean from the left over gases that are expelled from the engine.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search