adjustable fpr - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
adjustable fpr
Sunday, January 15, 2006 11:45 AM
im goin to be installin one of these on my Z with a set of 32 pound injectors, any ideas on which pressure i should set it too? thanks for the info

Re: adjustable fpr
Sunday, January 15, 2006 11:51 AM
If you don't mind me asking, why are you installing 32 pound injectors?

As for the afpr, if you have some sort of instructions, my only suggestion is to adjust it to a setting closest to stock.

Blown.
Sunday, January 15, 2006 11:58 AM
buddy of mine had used them in his car, got considerable gains from it, so i am going to be putting them to combo with the widened tb, ported intake and possible p n p head, as for the afpr, i wil be doin a dyno day to test and tune it for good power, wittout going really rich on the engine, obviously until the car sees boost it will be close to stock pressure,

guess i should of mentioned, im plannin out boost for my Z at the moment, and should be picking up my parts in the near future, car is sitting till may anyways, so these parts will hopefully be all picked up and ready to be installed come may/june
Sunday, January 15, 2006 12:05 PM
An afpr and injectors add more fuel but you don't have more air being moved into the engine. As I see it, there is no point to putting these two parts on your car right now. You'll be adding more fuel but losing power as a result of running very rich. Even if you take it to a dyno, it will be a waste of money because you'll be tuning it to near stock operation. I suggest to hold on to the afpr and injectors until you have the rest of your turbo parts and install everything at once.

As for your friend's gains, does he have any dyno numbers to back up his claims? What kind of car/engine does he have?

Blown.
Sunday, January 15, 2006 12:05 PM
scudz24 wrote:buddy of mine had used them in his car, got considerable gains from it, so i am going to be putting them to combo with the widened tb, ported intake and possible p n p head, as for the afpr, i wil be doin a dyno day to test and tune it for good power, wittout going really rich on the engine, obviously until the car sees boost it will be close to stock pressure,

guess i should of mentioned, im plannin out boost for my Z at the moment, and should be picking up my parts in the near future, car is sitting till may anyways, so these parts will hopefully be all picked up and ready to be installed come may/june

Even with those engine modifications, there is still NO need in having an adjustable FPR. Your fuel pressure is perfectly fine all motor even with engine modifications (not including raised compression). If you want to tune your fuel, use an SAFC but more than likely you'll need LESS fuel than more fuel because your computer will probably throw too much fuel in from seeing the extra airflow.

Until you are boosted, there is no need for one. Also, unless your friend has a J-body with dyno numbers, don't believe his claims. If he has another car, it's possible...each car modifys differently.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, January 15, 2006 12:15 PM
well i dont believe it was dyno'd it was more of a noticed gain that he had, but as for this, with the added air that the engine is gonna be seeing, do u believe i need any kind of fuel upgrades to avoid runing lean, or will the stock system compensate anything up to boost? im thinkin it would considering the stock fuel system is used up till 6 psi and then i see a lot of peeps run it much higher then that, thanks for the info guys!

njhk, where did u buy ur garret turbo from?
Sunday, January 15, 2006 12:39 PM
With the mods you have now you don't need any fuel upgrades, they're not necessary. Once boosted, you'll definitely need upgrades and even at 6psi you should look into fuel. Even with pressure that low you'll still need to control fuel and your engine could run dangerously lean. Look into larger injectors, fuel pump, fpr, and fmu to get you started. I know for a fact that once you hit 6psi, you'll want to turn it up a little bit highter. When the boost bug bites, you'll already have the fuel mods necessary to turn up the boost. Check out the thread in the boost forum called 'fuel management,' it will definitely help you out.

Blown.
Sunday, January 15, 2006 12:43 PM
scudz24 wrote:well i dont believe it was dyno'd it was more of a noticed gain that he had, but as for this, with the added air that the engine is gonna be seeing, do u believe i need any kind of fuel upgrades to avoid runing lean, or will the stock system compensate anything up to boost? im thinkin it would considering the stock fuel system is used up till 6 psi and then i see a lot of peeps run it much higher then that, thanks for the info guys!

njhk, where did u buy ur garret turbo from?

Do you need any fuel modifications with basic bolt ons and a head upgrade? No. Your fuel system (believe it or not) is more than capable of supplying enough fuel for the extra airflow. Even with an cylinder head upgrade, you're not even close to maxing out your injectors or stressing your fuel pump. I know this because I have done so and I have run RICH because of it. I currently use an SAFC. Actually, I did camshafts before I upgraded my cylinder head and I was running rich, tuned it down with an SAFC and now with my cylinder head on, I don't even need my SAFC because it's stoiched itself out (basically the SAFC is set at 0 right now).

Now do you need fuel modifications with boost? Yes. Even on something as little as 4 PSI of boost, you need fuel upgrades and you need a way to tune it. An FPR is really only good for a base fuel pressure...you need something to tune when you are in boost, not idle. Other than tuning, you need injectors atleast...you can get away with running just your stock fuel pump but I'd get either an inline pump or intank pump just for insurance.

I bought my turbo used from an EVO owner...only 10,000 miles ran on it and it's in good condition. If you're shopping for turbo parts, my suggestion is to search the DSM forums...they are ALWAYS selling various turbo parts (as far as non-car specific parts). Go to the classifieds on www.dsmtuners.com and www.dsmtalk.com.

Anymore questions, just ask.

Sunday, January 15, 2006 2:11 PM
so ur saying if i put those injectors on my car its goin to hurt me more then help me? as well as im goin to be doing the not so secret cam swap as well, will this require me to get any kind of other mods, or will everything compensate itself for it?

future plans b4 boost are going to be

57mm tb
port matched intake mani
HO manifold
not so secret cam swap
lightened crank pulley
yellow top battery
even tho im goin boost, at the time being ill be getting a 4-1 header

if u see nething here that looks wrong, or something i should do first b4 ne of these, or will have to do afterwards, thanks

as well as ive heard the LO mani is pretty much the same effectiveness as the stock 2.4 plastic one, do u know nething bout this? cuz i can get a LO mani for next to nothing and i need to know if i put it on will it help me in anyway? not to mention i was gonna put it on cuz i love the look! lol thanks
Sunday, January 15, 2006 2:29 PM
Yes, putting larger injectors in now may hurt you more than help you. You'll be running rich and robbing power. The list you made is a good step and should suit you just fine. I'd spring for the HO mani rather than the LO mani, its called Low Output for a reason, haha. I've heard good things about swapping on an HO mani so you should be fine, though I haven't heard much about the LO mani swap. One question, you're going to port match the HO mani (if you decide to purchase it) to your engine?

One more thing, don't boost until you have read and researched a large amount of information. What fuel upgrades will you need? Ignition? Will you go for a standalone system? What wideband are you looking to purchase? What will you do about exhaust? What turbo will you pick out? What IC? Also, ask questions like - How much money are you going/willing to spend? How much time do you want to invest? How much tuning will you do? What numbers do you want to reach?

Blown.
Sunday, January 15, 2006 2:35 PM
I'm not even boosted yet, so my opinion my not even matter to you. But thanks to the search button, I have that fresh outta college i know everything kinda mentality
J/K
BUT seriously, just stick with the motor mounts that you have.
look into crank and mabye an alt pully also
the TB and new intake are going to make your car drive differently and mabye even hurt your performance, If you don't mind, go ahead and tag em on to make sure you have no problems.
You can go ahead and put the fpr and and fmu on and tinker with them to get familiar so you have some experiance with em when boost comes. as long as you tune the FPR right, it wont change anything in the way the car performs,(for good or for bad)
Instead of buying the 4-1 header, just go ahead and buy your log manifold. then your one step into boost already. If you get antsy and HAVE to mess with you car, go ahead and tap your oil return line and just block it off til your fully ready to boost.

Sunday, January 15, 2006 3:07 PM
It won't make much sense to use an FMU at this point because an FMU is boost-based. Again, you can put the fpr on the car now but its a waste of time and possibly money (you may wind up having a good a/f at idle and vac after boosting). I also agree with Matt, its a waste of money to purchase a header now since you're planning on boosting. It factors into one of the questions I posed - what will you do about exhaust? Also, just to add to what Matt said, the TB and port matched intake may only shift your power band up in the RPM range and can hurt your torque numbers.

Blown.
Sunday, January 15, 2006 3:29 PM
I say install the Adj. FPR, do the cams, intake, exhaust, head work....... the Adj. FPR comes in handy, even if you are NA.

NJHK....... you should know that your car is in NO way compairable to his...... the damn Eco ECU is different from the older (his is a 97) ECU. Yours has alot more fuel control then ours does.

I do agree that those injectors are over kill for now...... you'd have to run your fuel pressure down to about 30psi, for it to run decent.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Sunday, January 15, 2006 3:35 PM
SpeedRacerZ - can you explain the 'handiness' of having an afpr while still N/A? I'm not asking this to be rude but I actually genuinely want to know because I'm still a littly iffy on fpr's and afpr's.

I'd stay away from an exhaust setup for now unless you know what you want. Since you're boosting in the future you should look for at least 2.5" piping.

SpeedRacerZ - on a side note, have there been any updates to LSD's for the 4T40E's? Sorry if this question gets repeated alot and if I'm getting annoying, but I stopped following the "Team Green LSD Review" thread a while ago.

Blown.
Sunday, January 15, 2006 5:40 PM
alrite sorry guys, i actuall updated my profile to wut i have now, its changed quite a bit,

im going to be carrying out with these plans, acce for the header, cuz well its jus a waste when boost is very soon,
Sunday, January 15, 2006 7:12 PM
SpeedRacerZ wrote:NJHK....... you should know that your car is in NO way compairable to his...... the damn Eco ECU is different from the older (his is a 97) ECU. Yours has alot more fuel control then ours does.

That's true but that could happen depending on what he does. There have been people that run rich on the 2.4s with camshaft upgrades.

Monday, January 23, 2006 6:41 PM
and thats where the adj. fpr could come in handy...... to lean out, or richen up the fuel mixture.....

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search