96 sunfire 2.2 exhaust need help fast - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
96 sunfire 2.2 exhaust need help fast
Saturday, January 14, 2006 7:11 PM
tommarow i am adding a header on my 96 sunfire with the 2.2 im installing the pace setter header on it tommorow. im also running the stock cat. my ques is how loud will the car be with just the header down to the cat and have the pipe dumped after the cat? i figured the cat would quiet it down a lot but will it be unbearable?

1996 Pontiac Sunfire 2 door 2.2 Automatic
GTO headlight covers, Custom cold air intake, Accel 300+ thundersport wires, Pacesetter header....... more mods to come

Re: 96 sunfire 2.2 exhaust need help fast
Saturday, January 14, 2006 7:22 PM
only way to find out, is going to be try it..

i mean we can all sit here and tell you its going to be loud, but loud to me might be a whisper to you

Saturday, January 14, 2006 7:49 PM
its basically going to be loud as sh!t and no backpressure meaning the car will sound loud as hell but there will be no torque what so ever not like a non-boosted 2200 has any anyways but you will seem like it has no power. the cat basically just filters the unburnt gases and stuff and doesnt act as much of a muffler.

Saturday, January 14, 2006 8:54 PM
There is honestly no point and no gain in power (even a loss of power) to do an exhaust dump. This is only useful on boosted vehicles.

And yes, it WILL sound extremely loud.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Saturday, January 14, 2006 9:30 PM
no im just asking on the sound because im stuck driving it like that for a couple days till i get my new muffler in the mail., then im getting a new custom catback bent for it from either midas or meineke

1996 Pontiac Sunfire 2 door 2.2 Automatic
GTO headlight covers, Custom cold air intake, Accel 300+ thundersport wires, Pacesetter header....... more mods to come
Saturday, January 14, 2006 10:20 PM
Andrew Howe wrote:no im just asking on the sound because im stuck driving it like that for a couple days till i get my new muffler in the mail., then im getting a new custom catback bent for it from either midas or meineke

Umm ok. Well why don't you just wait and do it all together because they are going to end up cutting the piping.

Also, I would HIGHLY suggest keeping the same diameter exhaust system...so your stock catalytic converter would be a restriction point on your exhaust system because the inlet/outlet size is still going to be smaller than your new piping. This can effect your performance noticeably.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search