Exhausted Canadians - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Exhausted Canadians
Friday, January 13, 2006 3:30 PM
Like the topic says, just looking for other Canadians that have had their exhaust done. Went to one local place a couple days ago asking about a magnaflow cat back that I saw on the magnaflow website and was told it would be 1085 dollars after taxes.
Is this about average one what I'm going to find?
Is there a "cheap" way of doing it? Maybe buying a piece here a piece there and than just getting it all thrown on?

If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.
Thank you.

Re: Exhausted Canadians
Friday, January 13, 2006 3:44 PM
Custom systems are always cheaper. All you really need to do is find a muffler, resonator, then get a muffler shop to weld it all together, of course also getting the necessary piping. If you dont mind me asking, which Magnaflow kit is it? Single Exit? Dual? I'm assuming its the Dual Exit for that price.

Friday, January 13, 2006 3:49 PM
Hey fellow Canadian

I'm in the process of getting my exhaust redone now, and first place I went to is Muffler Man, look them up you probably have one close by. Anyways, their price was decent - what I wanted was muffler, resonator, and tip, then custom bent pipes, all stainless, they said 550 installed. I said, okay thats good, but I think I'll look around. Through my searching, I've found a website called hottexhaust

http://www.hottexhaust.com

This is one of Magnaflow's main distributors. Now, what you should know is the company is LOCATED in Canada, but they mainly ship in the states. Soooooo notice, the prices on the site are USD. Now, with that in mind, the prices are still much better than anywhere else you'll find. Now I'm not sure if youre in ontario or not, but theres 15% sales tax here, but FREE SHIPPING.

They sell the premade systems, or you can piece your system together with muffler, res, and tip, then do what I'm doing, and getting just the pipes bent at a local place (I'm going with Muffler Man myself because they have the best prices around).

Any questions you can get me on MSN, djdnz AT hotmail.com

Good luck

Friday, January 13, 2006 3:51 PM
I purchased my Magnaflow dual exit setup for $600 (USD) so that price, to me, is a bit much. Even so, spending around a grand for a cat-back is alot of money. Shop around, search eBay, look at sites of trusted companies on the Org..don't drop that much money just yet.

Having an exhaust shop bend you a custom setup is alot cheaper than purchasing a pre-made system. Pick out the muffler you want and a resonator if you prefer one and have the shop bend you the appropriate size stainless steel pipes. You'll spend considerably less than 1 grand and you'll be able to get exactly what you want.

Blown.
Friday, January 13, 2006 3:57 PM
Yeah, thats alot.

Friday, January 13, 2006 4:10 PM
where in Canada are you

I had my pipe made custom, 2 and 1/4 'mandrel' bent(which is a lot more expensive) and stainless with a resonator ..........Came to $500 Canadian tax included and they welded my cat. and muffler on which I already owned......

The Shop is ETD Racing in Newmarket Ontario

I have one true love in my life...And my girlfriend sits next to me in it
Friday, January 13, 2006 4:31 PM
im canadian too, dont waste ur money on magnaflows exhaust, midas made mine and they really did a great job, couldnt believe how weel it was done
Friday, January 13, 2006 4:46 PM
I had a feeling everyone's respone would be to go custom, lol. I have the Single Exit magnaflow one but I paid nowhere near $1000 (CAD) let alone $500 (CAD). Custom is definetly the way to go dude.

Friday, January 13, 2006 5:23 PM
Wow, I thought it sounded high, just not that high... now responses...

Alex: It's the single exhaust from magnaflow's site here.
Which I figured was in US dollars so it was going to be more. Just didn't realize how much more they (local shop) would charge. I would consider dual exhaust depending on how much of a benefit / hinderence it would be on a stock engine. But in reading through posts, single exhaust just seems like the better answer for the time being.
For yours, you say it's the single exit magnaflow, yet it's custom? What exactly would that mean? Magnaflow muffler etc and custom bent pipes?

Dave Dunsmoor: Thanks a lot for the link, and I'll look into Muffler Man, sounds like much better pricing than the place I checked out.

Filip (The Polish Kid): After seeing the price that the local shop quoted me I was definitely going to look around some more and not pay that much unless I can't help it. From other posts on exhaust here I've heard prices that were so much lower it surprised me when they gave me the quote.

Owen Stampflee: Thanks

Boorad: I'm in Vernon BC. Thanks for the information/link, half the price that I was quoted for basically what I'm looking for. Sounds a lot more reasonable.

scudz24: Do you happen to remember what price yours ran around?

Thank you all again, definitely helps out a lot in keeping this project on the board.
Friday, January 13, 2006 5:32 PM
Yup, shop wisely (or just do what I told you to do ) and you're lookin at 400-500 installed (single exhaust anyway). Or you can get the premade from that site for ~648 CAD plus tax, and then install it yourself. It's up to you.

Friday, January 13, 2006 5:43 PM
You need to come to Winnipeg we never pay more than whole sale.

Thats Him Officer The WICKED One.

Friday, January 13, 2006 5:46 PM
Just tried to find Muffler Man real quick and found nothing but a giant statue of a lumberjack with an axe. I think I'll try asking around next. Those prices on the hottexhaust site look a whole lot better than what I had saw. Even if they're in USD. I think they'll definitely be high up on the list of places to buy from. Now I'll just have to look up the individual pieces aside from pipes. See which sounds/looks better than others.
Friday, January 13, 2006 6:11 PM
One more tip...A lot of places wont do mandrel bend cuc it is expensive, but what you can do is have a local shop order in pieces that are madrel bent and weld them all together to a pipe for your car......If you dont know what I mean or you want to see what it looks like let me know and I will snap some pics for you tomorrow when its light out

Friday, January 13, 2006 6:15 PM
Boorad wrote:One more tip...A lot of places wont do mandrel bend cuc it is expensive, but what you can do is have a local shop order in pieces that are madrel bent and weld them all together to a pipe for your car......If you dont know what I mean or you want to see what it looks like let me know and I will snap some pics for you tomorrow when its light out

Messy, and shops dont like to do this so they charge a bunch of money usually, unless you get a nice place.

Friday, January 13, 2006 6:15 PM
Just a heads up - you don't need mandrel bent piping. Compression bent pipes are fine, too, as long as the overall cross-sectional area remains the same. Avoid crush bent pipes at all costs (crush bent pipes have the ridges on the inside corner), they will restrict the flow of air and will make the installation of an aftermarket exhaust system almost pointless.

Blown.
Friday, January 13, 2006 6:16 PM
Boorad wrote:One more tip...A lot of places wont do mandrel bend cuc it is expensive, but what you can do is have a local shop order in pieces that are madrel bent and weld them all together to a pipe for your car......If you dont know what I mean or you want to see what it looks like let me know and I will snap some pics for you tomorrow when its light out

I think I have a pretty good idea of what you mean, but if it's not a problem I'd always love picture examples.
Thanks a lot.
Friday, January 13, 2006 9:05 PM
mine was custom bent welded and installed using 2in pipe from the cat back for $200+ plus my muffler. its not stainless only gavlizned.

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/my2005cav/my%20car%20the%20bash.jpg
Friday, January 13, 2006 9:49 PM
I'm glad I asked here, if I'd paid what they were asking it would have been a huge rip off.

As always, thanks for the help.
Saturday, January 14, 2006 11:20 AM
Can someone let me know the difference between compression and mandrel?
all I know is my shop did the mandrel bend piping for me by piecing them together for $500(Canadian) not too many shops that I phone could do an actual one piece mandrel bent pipe and the couple that I did fund wanted somewhere between $1000 and $2000.....thats wth them welding a muffler and cat that I already owned.

Saturday, January 14, 2006 2:03 PM
chris orr wrote:You need to come to Winnipeg we never pay more than whole sale.
I'm in Winnipeg. Where do you recomend for an exhaust shop? I have gone to Benders in the past, but they are not that cheap. Good work there though. Just wondering if you know of some place cheaper?

Saturday, January 14, 2006 2:16 PM
i payed 250 for a exhaust custom bent from header to exit, muffler welded in and cat welded in

Saturday, January 14, 2006 3:24 PM
Boorad wrote:Can someone let me know the difference between compression and mandrel?
all I know is my shop did the mandrel bend piping for me by piecing them together for $500(Canadian) not too many shops that I phone could do an actual one piece mandrel bent pipe and the couple that I did fund wanted somewhere between $1000 and $2000.....thats wth them welding a muffler and cat that I already owned.

http://www.hinesbending.com/TubeBending%20Guide.htm

If you're actually interested give this a read, should explain to you why theres a difference in price. Mandrel machines are very expensive.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 7:03 PM
Hey I'm back, I had after this planned on waiting on exhaust and went with a short shifter instead. Got that installed yesterday and now after reading and hearing all these new exhaust clips I'm thinking about looking to the exhaust again. This time however I have a couple different questions.

First off, there are the parts I'm looking at purchasing, but I'm wondering if they're going to be compatible and will work on an '03 sunfire with 2.2 Eco.

Muffler, Resonator, and Cat Will these all work on my car? I'm going to assume the muffler and resonator could just about be anything and will still work, but after reading and searching the cat convertor that I am looking at seems to be the one that has the smallest chance of throwing any codes, is this correct?

Also, if I wanted to do dual exhaust would I only need to buy a second muffler and the obvious extra piping?
Is dual exhaust worth it? Or would it just be for the looks, or would it actually hinder a stock engine.

Dave Dunsmoor I read over that link and I'm still a little confused, if I either can't find someone that will mandrel bend pipes, or find that it's a little more than I want to pay will compression bending work just about as well, or as well as mandrel bent will?

I think lastly, if I do all this with a stock header still on, is it going to be a problem if I get a new header down the road? Or will the shop just be able to remove the stock one and perhaps do a little welding or whatnot when the new one gets put on?

Sorry about all the questions, but learning as I'm going. Would never have thought I could install a short shifter myself, but did so yesterday thanks to all the help here.
Sunday, February 12, 2006 7:24 PM
The muffler, resonator, and cat that you chose will be fine, and that cat won't throw codes on our cars. If you wanted to do dual exhaust, you don't need two mufflers. You could buy a single in, dual out muffler and have it done that way. Compression bends are just fine for our cars unless you have a high horsepower turbo motor under the hood. You should be just fine with the stock manifold for now if you want to wait and do it later down the road.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 7:28 PM
Cool, thanks a lot for all the quick answers... Much appreciated.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search