headers ? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
headers ?
Wednesday, January 11, 2006 11:10 PM
is putting headers on a ecotec engine a do it yourself job or should i leave it to the profesionals?

Re: headers ?
Wednesday, January 11, 2006 11:52 PM
First it's header since you only have one ... Second, you can install it yourself, I did mine, but i sended the car to get it welded after.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 11:54 PM
If you know what you're doing and have the tools...sure, go ahead and do it.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Thursday, January 12, 2006 12:17 AM
What NJHK said is very true, I didnt have the right tools to do the job so i had to take it to my exhaust shop. I was kind of bumbed out since I like to do the hands on work on my car myself.

Thursday, January 12, 2006 12:39 AM
2enthusiast4 wrote:What NJHK said is very true, I didnt have the right tools to do the job so i had to take it to my exhaust shop. I was kind of bumbed out since I like to do the hands on work on my car myself.

Sucks to hear that. I personally don't know what I'm doing and don't have the time or tools to do it myself, so I just send it to someone who does.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Thursday, January 12, 2006 5:29 AM
If you do it yourself, be careful. I used penetrating lube and let it all soak in and still managed to snap one of the studs when I was removing the factory manifold. They can be a pain in the arse if you're not careful, and it's even worse if you have to have the head drilled and tapped because you messed up.

Be kind to dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Thursday, January 12, 2006 7:36 AM
on the 2.4 i heard its tweaked a little bit and you have to pull the motor to install the header does anyone know for sure?
Thursday, January 12, 2006 7:50 AM
i didnt move the motor in my 2.4 at all to install my header

only part that is hard is the welding , and if you have a auto trans , the lack of room takes more effort to get it in

Thursday, January 12, 2006 8:03 AM
13mm ratched wrench, a few hours of your time, and a stud puller would be a good list of tools.

That's how I did mine. You'll also have need some other wrenches to get the stock exhaust off, but I'm pretty sure the nuts are 13mm holding the stock header onto the exhaust manifold. You can also pickup a new exhaust gasket for less than $20.00 at your local GM dealer, but if your current one looks fine I wouldn't worry about it.

The stud puller is good to have if the studs come out with the nut, so you can remove it from the nut, then put them back into the head.

mike gless: depends on the header. I know it was a bitch and a half to get the 4-2 of my 4-2-1 header into where it needed to be on my eco, but a 4-1 would have been much easier because it's not as wide.

-Chris

Thursday, January 12, 2006 8:05 AM
Did mine myself ( but then I do all my own work, well except the exhaust system ) its not hard at all. Just make sure its a little warm that way all the bolts come right off without a fight.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Thursday, January 12, 2006 8:19 AM
I did mine with some help. Took 3 hours for the header,cat and resonator.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier

Thursday, January 12, 2006 1:20 PM
Quote:

I did mine with some help. Took 3 hours for the header,cat and resonator.

and for the others who said they did it their selves. Did you weld it, clamp it or have some one else weld it?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search