performance upgrades... again - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
performance upgrades... again
Saturday, December 31, 2005 7:11 PM
I'll say sorry right away for posting yet another "how do I make my slow car go faster than a snail?" thread, but I am

I have a 01 z24, its decent, but I just need a little bit more power.

I've seen a lot of people suggest motor mounts, I'm not sure if that if for this engine (2.4), but if it is, why do motor mounts help the power?

What kind of cold air intakes should I look at?

Re: performance upgrades... again
Saturday, December 31, 2005 7:15 PM
oh yeah, is there any way to get the speed limiting software out of the computer?
Saturday, December 31, 2005 7:24 PM
I think what you need....is a MoPed my friend! Those things haul ass and they dont even have a Governor limiter!!

Saturday, December 31, 2005 9:19 PM
I'm in the same boat as you with the 2.4 in my 99 Z24.

First of all, there is a way to get rid of the speed governor, but we will not tell you. It's not to be mean, it's just that it's real dangerous and our cars can't handle it and if someone does sumthin stupid with it and dies, we don't need it being traced back to JBO. Read the FAQ here in the Performance Forum. It will tell you a lot of what you need to know. Just do what it says and search for "VSS". Then you'll know what the rest of us know about the governor and why we should be grateful for it.

Future reference: disabling the speed limiter is a little "taboo" to speak of around here. It will get you nothing but smart-ass remarks and sarcasm (as you can see already), and possibly a JBO Moderator locking your thread. Too many people found that out the hard way... "Double-posting" on the same subject instead of using "Search" for your answer first is frowned upon also. This will also get you nothing but smart-ass remarks and sarcasm. I figured I'd let you know all this before you got more you got flamed.

Also, read the FAQ all the way through, because seriously, it would probably answer A LOT of your questions about basic performance mods, what they do and where to get them. Personally, I'm incredibly grateful that someone took the time to write it all out.

I have a CarCustoms.net upper motor mount, and yes it is for the 2.4.

Some things you can do for starters are a cat-back exhaust system, exhaust header, air intake, motor mounts, throttle body, intake manifold, catalytic converter, lightweight pulleys, and many more. Then of course there are many worthwhile suspension and wheel mods, as well as eventually going turbo or supercharged for serious power.

Here are a LOT of websites I've compiled you can use to look for performance upgrades:

lmperformance.com
importperformanceparts.net
rsmracing.com
sportcompactonly.com
jegs.com
jcwhitney.com
jtuners.com
jobdyperformance.com
hptuners.com
performancecenter.com
rksport.com
overboost.com
flatlanderracing.com
maximumboost.net
ptuning.com
turbotechracing.com
summitracing.com
carsneffects.com
carcustoms.net
gravanatuning.com

Happy tuning!

Saturday, December 31, 2005 9:39 PM
Oops, forgot to answer the question you had about motor mounts. They don't actually increase the power of your engine. Some engine power is lost in the drivetrain and through engine & transmission movement on the way to your wheels, making your effective wheel horsepower less than your engine horsepower. To help this, motor mounts keep the engine from moving so much when you step on the gas, allowing more power to reach the wheels. It's not a hell of a lot though, but worth it.

Sunday, January 01, 2006 12:47 AM
Motor mounds do not increase power, then increase torque transfer. Basically, more torque "freed up" in the loss between motor and wheels, and less wheelhop.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Sunday, January 01, 2006 6:29 PM
Thx for correction.

Sunday, January 01, 2006 6:44 PM
I would suggest finding out how much money you want to invest and how much power you are looking for and then we can answer you questions a bit better. Saying you want more power is like saying "I need a shoe" while you're in a shoe store...it's just too general of a statement.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Monday, January 02, 2006 8:11 PM
i'm looking at spending around 500cdn for now to start off

i can respect the speed governor thing, makes sense, end of subject
Monday, January 02, 2006 9:34 PM
Bryan Gleave wrote:i'm looking at spending around 500cdn for now to start off

i can respect the speed governor thing, makes sense, end of subject

You can get an intake and start working on an exhaust system.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Monday, January 02, 2006 10:45 PM
If people tell me they want power, I simply tell them it's time for forced induction lol.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 7:22 AM
You could get an intake, upper and lower motor mounts, and start on the exhaust.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 7:29 AM
for the 2.4, i would Recommend the AEM Short Ram, and if you have a manual, get the Clutch Reservoir Bracket. Ive been very happy with mine, and want wait to do more to the car. Also, motor and tranny mounts are a very cheap, and great idea to get, as they gain power back to the wheels, and the vibes really arent bad when you have all of them. I noticed a reduction in vibes when i put both tranny mounts in, and the car seems to love it better as well.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 1:33 AM
Honestly, when I bought my lower mount I wasn't thinking power, I was thinking about how my engine wouldn't be cranking back and forth when I get on the gas. I wouldnt buy mounts expecting a real power gain...

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 5:20 PM
Spotabee Racing (The Fake Z24) wrote:If people tell me they want power, I simply tell them it's time for forced induction lol.

that is prolly the best advice i could get at this point when i wanna go faster.

MY 2003 SUNFIRE 15.63@87.86mph

"A N/A ecotec is not gonna give Honda's and Mitsu's that much of a run for their
money unless their blown or bottle fed.GM is still smokin crack!"
~1QWKZ24
www.streetracing.org, 08/2001
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search