Frequent subject but... - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Frequent subject but...
Saturday, December 31, 2005 5:21 PM
I know this comes up a lot... people talking about their exhaust install, but, there are also a lot of people out there looking for advice before moving forward, so...

I just had 2.25" compression-bent cat-back done at a local shop in Glen Burnie, MD (Tony's Custom Exhaust - GREAT GUYS TO WORK WITH) and had an Apex'I N1 Titanium Tip - STYLE muffler welded on. No, I couldn't talk myself into dropping $250 on a genuine N1 when a can-muffler is really a can-muffler.

Anyways, I must say, it sounds terrific. I felt decent gains above 4500 RPM and it just has a wonderful low-pitched bassy hummmmmmm while accelerating slowly and a delicious scream at WOT. I will upload pics/video soon since I now have a digital camera. Anywho, if anyone wants a medium/loud, bassy low-pitched exhaust note, thats the way to go.

BTW, it has a pretty neat little burble at idle... not attention grabbing while sitting at a light because it's pretty quiet, but sounds clean and deep.

Re: Frequent subject but...
Saturday, December 31, 2005 5:33 PM
How much did the set up run ya?

I'm looking for a good place in MD to do my exhaust.
Not looking to get one of the prebent systems if I can avoid it.

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Saturday, December 31, 2005 5:38 PM
Well, I bought the muffler at HP Racing in Glen Burnie for $100 and Tony's Custom Exhaust charges $150 for any size you want, custom-bent, compression bends cat-back and weld the muffler on. Oh, and by the way, they are awesome... everyone I know goes to them and they do it usually while you wait. I went up with muffler in hand, and my car was in and out in 2 hours.

Saturday, December 31, 2005 5:42 PM
just looked up the address...

550 Crain Highway N Ste. 30
Glen Burnie, MD 21061

If you're familiar with the area, you just go up Crain Highway towards Baltimore... as you go past Empire Tower on your right, you'll see Clauss Liquors on your left. Turn left at the liquor store and go all the way down the alley to the farthest building back. The alley will dead-end at Tony's.

Saturday, December 31, 2005 5:52 PM
Will def have to check it out.

Maybe I can go back to my original plan, get the cat,resonator, and mufler and have them weld the rest all up.

Now if I you know of a reliable place that does dynos then I can put my start putting my 'best header' plan into motion too.
-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Saturday, December 31, 2005 7:00 PM
Now that I am not sure of...

Sunday, January 01, 2006 9:09 AM
here's a link to my video... best to right click and save the target file... my school's server doesn't stream well.

http://userpages.umbc.edu/~h2/DSCF0098.AVI

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 4:31 AM
Wow nice sound. I didn't know that you can have a deep sound with a round muffler. I 've always though that deep sound = oval mufflers

Pontiac Sunfire 1999.....The POWER of pushrods!!
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 1:36 PM
Thanks... I was surprised at it's low pitched tone too... happily surprised... you should hear it wail at high RPM tho

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 2:00 PM
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 2:42 PM
Not bad, not bad. Wouldn't mind hearing it person.

'03 LS SPORT COUPE 5 SPEED black with teal/silver pinstripe

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 2:43 PM
Are you using a resonator?

'03 LS SPORT COUPE 5 SPEED black with teal/silver pinstripe

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 3:33 PM
Well, just head on down to MD And nope no resonator... just a 2.25" pipe cat-back and a can-style muffler. I'll record more video after I get a bigger mem card for my digicam... prolly thurs or friday. I'll let you guys know. thanx for the compliments though.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search