Cylinder Sleeves - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cylinder Sleeves
Monday, December 12, 2005 5:17 PM
I was talking with Bates Engineering recently about ordering my valve springs and what not...they reccommened resleeving the cylinders once i started to approach the 500hp mark. Im just looking for some more info on doing this. I know GM Performance offers a block with high strengh sleeves installed but id rather not go that route when the engine sitting on a stand in my garage is almost brand new. If anyone can provide some insight thatd be great. thanks...

Re: Cylinder Sleeves
Monday, December 12, 2005 5:29 PM
Intalling new sleeves vs GM's block.....I think you can get new sleeves for 800 bucks, and installing them should be around 300-600. GM's block is almost 4k I think.

1988 Pontiac Fiero, engine transplant underway.
2004 ECOtec, built and boosted
Monday, December 12, 2005 5:35 PM
Where can i get the sleeves? and whats involved in the install? I read that the old ones need to be machined out to
Monday, December 12, 2005 7:31 PM
Sorry to totally burst your bubble.... but....

I can count the number of people on JBO that are close to 500hp on one hand.

I wouldn't worry about it... especially with a 2.2L pushrod motor. (Rubberneckers.. don't bother trying to flame me unless you have a 400hp 2.2L motor, mmmkay?)

You would have to spend some serious $$$$$$ to get a 2.2L over 500hp. At which point you're not going to worry about $800 vs $4000 for sleeves.

(Even if we're talking about another motor.... 500hp is way overkill for most people with an econobox J-body)

Monday, December 12, 2005 9:40 PM
the blocks are durable dood. You will not need aftermarket sleeves. If you are worried about it, take your block to a machine shop and have it posted. It will cost you around $200

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Tuesday, December 13, 2005 5:51 PM
thanks for the info...btw im not building the 2.2 ive got in the car now...ive got an eco sitting on a stand in my garage, thats what im planning the build over the next year for...im still at the point where im doing my homework before i start buying parts so i want to get as much info as i can. I'd rather take my time and do it the right way then rush it and screw it up.
Tuesday, December 13, 2005 5:53 PM
..and my main goal is to make the motor as strong as i can right now, so when i turn the boost up !@#$ doesnt break
Tuesday, December 13, 2005 8:00 PM
the powerless one wrote:thanks for the info...btw im not building the 2.2 ive got in the car now...ive got an eco sitting on a stand in my garage, thats what im planning the build over the next year for...im still at the point where im doing my homework before i start buying parts so i want to get as much info as i can. I'd rather take my time and do it the right way then rush it and screw it up.

even the eco. just take my advice and if you are worried, take the block to the machine shop and have it posted.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 12:50 AM
Quote:

Sorry to totally burst your bubble.... but....

I can count the number of people on JBO that are close to 500hp on one hand.

I wouldn't worry about it... especially with a 2.2L pushrod motor. (Rubberneckers.. don't bother trying to flame me unless you have a 400hp 2.2L motor, mmmkay?)

You would have to spend some serious $$$$$$ to get a 2.2L over 500hp. At which point you're not going to worry about $800 vs $4000 for sleeves

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 1:18 AM
I haven't really heard of anybody busting the walls of their ecotec yet. There are only a hand full of people that have fully built them. Usually you put in stronger sleeves so that you can bore the block further than what considered to be safe on a stock engine. With a good set of darton sleeves you should be able to go 2mm+ over stock. which would put you at over a 2.3L discplacement with the stock stroke.
If that is your goal, go for it. Otherwise, I'd just leave it alone.

Cardomain|Myspace

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 6:15 AM
thanks for the comments guys...3 outta 4 ppl i talk to outside here tell me i wont get more the 300hp out of a cavalier anyways lol...i just want to try and cover as much as i can before i send the block in so once its assembled i can leave it alone..i dont want to have it apart every weekend

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 6:26 AM
^^^^^ wow, then the 3 out of 4 people you've spoken to outside of this place really don't know much about the Ecotec motor, do they? They see a Cavalier and automatically think it has no potential. Go figure. I'm going for a full motor build as well, but I'll be dropping it into a full race application. What I drive now will be turboed, but I only desire 12's or 11's.

"Sig under construction"
Saab Turbo Project.... Nearing completion.
Wednesday, December 14, 2005 6:32 AM
all i want is one big dyno run to shut everyone that told me i cant do it lol....realistically id be more then happy with 400hp at the crank (not sure what that works out to at the wheels) but well see...its gonna take me till the end of the summer to have the motor where i want it and then ill drop it in next winter...but youve gotta have something to shoot for
Wednesday, December 14, 2005 7:10 AM
the powerless one wrote:all i want is one big dyno run to shut everyone that told me i cant do it lol....realistically id be more then happy with 400hp at the crank (not sure what that works out to at the wheels) but well see...its gonna take me till the end of the summer to have the motor where i want it and then ill drop it in next winter...but youve gotta have something to shoot for

That's quite a goal to start out with. You can get 400 whp out of a near-stock motor, with boost, bolt ons, and pistons and rods, and a few fuel system treatments.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 10:35 AM
How much money are you looking to spend on the whole project for everything from A to Z ?

Amount of power has nothing to do with it . . . . they key is knowing how much money you have to spend and want to spend. Power comes after you figure out how much money your looking to spend.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 11:36 AM
Is this a daily driver?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search