*sigh* - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
*sigh*
Tuesday, December 13, 2005 12:23 AM
I know I post a lot of questions and I kinda regret that. But why buy a performance head when it could be ported and polished, it seems to me that a good PnP job could be almost as good for a LOT cheaper?

Also, where would one take a head to have it PnP'd??

I really appreciate all the information I've learned from JBO.

Re: *sigh*
Tuesday, December 13, 2005 12:30 AM
because a performance head is brand new, often fully assembled with new valves, etc etc and has alreaady had a 3 or 5 angle valve job done.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Tuesday, December 13, 2005 2:22 AM
Chris Mackinlay wrote:I know I post a lot of questions and I kinda regret that. But why buy a performance head when it could be ported and polished, it seems to me that a good PnP job could be almost as good for a LOT cheaper?

Also, where would one take a head to have it PnP'd??

I really appreciate all the information I've learned from JBO.

It's rather simple. When you buy a performance head, you are actually buying a ported and polished head but that's just the start of it. In alot of cases, you get a good deal on the upgraded parts they put on the head (springs, retainers etc) compared to you buying them yourself or they are about the same price. Also, they come assembled as well which saves some time during installation.

You have to understand that the porting and polishing is only going to do so much. The valvetrain parts help produce more power if they can function better and if they are stronger in some cases.

Also, it's good to have a company that flow bench tests the head as well. You don't just want anyone to port your cylinder head to any old amount (CFM) and send you on your way. There is a bit more that goes into, if I were you, I'd look more into how a valvetrain works. If I can find some stuff online that can you out, I'll post it.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 4:18 AM
...i agree. when i start my ohv build, im buying the jbp head. thinking about leaving my whole damn car up there, have them fix ANYYYTHING that is wrong with the car, build the entire top and bottom and, and then tune it for me. itll be expensive, and probably wont see my car for months, but itll be worth it if my car will be DONE.

...don't hate!.. respect people that have talent, even if it is in something you don't like or understand.
Tuesday, December 13, 2005 6:23 AM
soul horse wrote:...i agree. when i start my ohv build, im buying the jbp head. thinking about leaving my whole damn car up there, have them fix ANYYYTHING that is wrong with the car, build the entire top and bottom and, and then tune it for me. itll be expensive, and probably wont see my car for months, but itll be worth it if my car will be DONE.

That would suck if it was for months (ploral). Honestly, it shouldn't be more than 2-3 weeks as long as you have the money. One thing I hate is when shops are too busy to finish your work in a timely manner but yet they are so quick to take on the project.
It'll totally be worth it in the end.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 12:15 PM
soul horse wrote:...i agree. when i start my ohv build, im buying the jbp head. thinking about leaving my whole damn car up there, have them fix ANYYYTHING that is wrong with the car, build the entire top and bottom and, and then tune it for me. itll be expensive, and probably wont see my car for months, but itll be worth it if my car will be DONE.

Then that becomes JBP's car that you are driving. Sure it will probably be fast, but I won't respect it personally. I'll give JBP props for building a race car, but that's about it. I'm building MY OWN motor, doing MY OWN work, and doing whatever I have to do to hit high 11s.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 4:47 PM
yeah I'm all for doing the work myself. head porting I'll have someone else do though. there are some things I would much rather trust to someone who has done it before. I'll install it myself. I guess there's that whole pride thing to worry about.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 8:10 PM
Well yes there are always some things that you have to outsource. But as far as building my motor, designing the custom turbo setup, and doing all the tuning, that's what i'm going to do with my life, so why not start out with my own car to use as an example of work whenever we get our business up and going.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search