Small Block Swap Questions (not a newb) - Performance Forum

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.
Small Block Swap Questions (not a newb)
Monday, December 12, 2005 7:26 PM
My 98 z is sitting in the garage right now, with the motor out, and the front end off. I need to put a new motor in it, and from looking at it, it looks like there is more than enough room for a small block. I know i could get the motor in there, but i need to know if the body will be able to hold all of the power of a slightly built 350. Not sure on what rear end i would use yet, but that would just be a trip to the junkyard with a tape. I plan on putting a roll cage, and tubbing, and replacing the gas tank with a fuel cell. ive seen a cavi with a 454 that looked completely stock except for the hood and the wide slicks on the back, but i wasnt able to see what he did to beef up the body. I mainly need to know what i would need to do to the body of the car, and if anyone knows what rear end would be the right width to still tuck under the quarters i would appreciate it. I have a 99 blazer for a dd now, and the cavi is paid off so i have no reason to back out.

PS. I searched and couldnt find anything.

Re: Small Block Swap Questions (not a newb)
Monday, December 12, 2005 8:47 PM
the motor mounts are in different locations so you would have to do some tweaks and welding there ,some kind of a support for the frame
a cross member for the transmission mount You will need better front end components to hold more weight.Many other things as well..................................................................................
On the rear end you may have to tub it in I would get a rear end out of a 95 or newer F body and tub it in and get a custom drive-shaft
Monday, December 12, 2005 8:48 PM
oh yhea this thread belongs in performance Forum I think
Monday, December 12, 2005 9:03 PM
You can get the motor in there. But not much else.

Look up "Raven" in the registries, and take a look at the pictures of his engine compartment with a 3800SC wedged into it. About every cubic inch of engine bay is packed full of engine block and transmission. Now try to add 2 more cylinders to the front of that block, and while you're at it make all the cylinders a bit bigger, the block wider and the deck higher.

It's a viable project as a RWD conversion...that's been done a few times. But a Chevy small block mounted transverse in a J? Doubtful. The closest you'll get to that possibility is an old Cadillac or Olds FWD trans hooked to a 350 mounted longitudinally.

Any way you slice it, good luck. Also, next time please search. This question is asked usually at least once a month in the performance forum.

09:f9:11:02:9d:74:e3:5b:d8:41:56:c5:63

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.

Start New Topic Advanced Search