Best motor For Cavi & Sunfire - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Best motor For Cavi & Sunfire
Sunday, December 11, 2005 2:20 AM
I currently own a 96 Chevy Cavalier with at 2.2L Engine. I was wondering what would be the best engine for my car. The best engine i could mod and expect the better result. My cousin also owns a 96 sunfire and he wants to know the same. What would be the best engine 2.2l, 2200, .2.4L, or the 2.2 Ecotec engine?

Re: Best motor For Cavi & Sunfire
Sunday, December 11, 2005 2:46 AM
let's see... there's quite of list of engines and swaps.

2.2. is a pretty good line, eco being new.

2.3 and 2.4 Quad series has years of GM engineering behind it. not a bad series of engines.

people have swapped the 3100 and 3400 engines.

People have done the 3800 engine.

It's all a matter of what you want to do. Your engine is only as strong as you build it.

Sunday, December 11, 2005 5:54 AM
holy wrong forum batman??

I say go with the 2.4

(Insert really cool picture of my car with some catchy name or slogan here)
Sunday, December 11, 2005 8:35 AM
depends how much knowledge, time, and/or money you have.

basically just swapping in another 2.2l non-ecotec is the easiest swap. considering the rest of the motors require more work to get them in and all hooked up.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Sunday, December 11, 2005 11:32 AM
Turbo 2.4, Turbo Ecotec or the all mighty 3800 s/c.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Wednesday, December 14, 2005 6:04 PM
what would i need to get an ecotec? Whats the difference between a ecotec and non ecotec? Which ones easier to fix up? Right now i can get an ecotec for about $500 and a trans for $200-350. What else would i need to change?
Wednesday, December 14, 2005 6:09 PM
http://www.ny-jbodies.org/forum/library.asp

you might wanna go read up on all the j-body engines available in the 3rd gen.... the link above has all of em...

there isnt a best engine.... an engine is only as good as you build it....

thats why some with 2.2ohvs are running up to 2-3 seconds faster than the ecotec or the 2.4 or 2.3....

and vice versa....

the fastest right now i believe is the ecotec, but its also gonna be the most expensive in some degrees... more parts to buy as anything DOHC will cost way more, but also produce more power per part.....

if you are new, and you seem new by what you asked, might wanna realize, there isnt any BESTS....

delete the word best from your vocab really. theres not a magic engine thats BEST for everyone, and your car and engine is only what you make of it.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 6:18 PM
Funky Bottoms (Event) wrote:delete the word best from your vocab really. theres not a magic engine thats BEST for everyone, and your car and engine is only what you make of it.

I like that!!!!

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 7:41 PM
^^ i agree with the "best " part but not thist part...
Quote:

the fastest right now i believe is the ecotec, but its also gonna be the most expensive in some degrees... more parts to buy as anything DOHC will cost way more, but also produce more power per part

fastest?? not stock its not ...most expensive,eh,probably cus its newer....anything dohc will cost way more??we get upgrade parts for the dohc from the junk yard,thats expensive??....produce more power per part? my engine gains 20hp from a header alone,the ecotec can do that?

FACT : Statistics show that you are more likely to to be hit by lightning than to die street racing.
FACT : It is our American RIGHT to own a GUN but not to drive a car.
"Those who would sacrifice freedom for saftey deserves neither Freedom nor safety!" - Benjamin Franklin
"The real destroyer of liberties is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch
Wednesday, December 14, 2005 7:53 PM
ECOTEC ALL THE WAY

BUT IT'S A PAIN IN THE ASS TO SWAP FUEL LINES ARE WAY DIFFRENT , I USED A HAMMER ON MY

DOWN PIPE IS DIFFRENT AND THOSE F'ING GASKETS ARE HARD TO FIND

BUT AFTER THAT IT'S PRETTY FUN SWAPING ALL YOUR IN CAR WIRES SINCE YOU DON'T HAVE A BCM
Wednesday, December 14, 2005 8:11 PM

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 8:39 PM
scott trent wrote:^^ i agree with the "best " part but not thist part...
Quote:

the fastest right now i believe is the ecotec, but its also gonna be the most expensive in some degrees... more parts to buy as anything DOHC will cost way more, but also produce more power per part

fastest?? not stock its not ...most expensive,eh,probably cus its newer....anything dohc will cost way more??we get upgrade parts for the dohc from the junk yard,thats expensive??....produce more power per part? my engine gains 20hp from a header alone,the ecotec can do that?

now now you can't go around saying that all the time.

every engine is different, there are people who ran 14's in the eco with basic boltons. And there have been countless races against both and I'd have to say that they're about even with a very minor edge going to the 2.4 just because of factory specs

20 horses from a header? well that might not be the same for all of us, you should know that not all boltons have the same effect on the motor.

the eco, has proven itself in my eyes to be a solid engine and is capable beyond that of the quad 4. Yeah I know. I have a 2.4 and I love my 2.4 and I wouldn't trade it for an eco, but you have to take into account the current conditions of the engines..

Quad series. = done. though they have several years of GM R&D behind the engine, it's a discontinued engine, and say he blows it up? It's gonna be a pain to get a quad with low miles and a low price.

Eco Series... hmm.. They're new, and up and coming. I think they have a long time ahead of them...

I've spoken my peace.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 8:49 PM
scott trent wrote:^^ i agree with the "best " part but not thist part...
Quote:

Ok, I'll agree that the words "fastest" shouldn't have been used but you have to agree that it has lots of potential, for arguing sakes, probably more than the 2.4 ever did. I can basically say that from just seeing the GM cars running outstanding amounts of power on their motors. So basically, it's not gods gift of a motor but it's a wonderful motor to have to work up (especially boosted) and reliable as well for daily drivers.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Thursday, December 15, 2005 1:59 AM
The Ho will own the eco anytime. Parts are easy to get unless your lazy(and they are cheap).

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Thursday, December 15, 2005 2:01 AM
Mfk-223 wrote:The Ho will own the eco anytime. Parts are easy to get unless your lazy(and they are cheap).

ALRIGHT ENOUGH! LETS TAKE THIS OUTSIDE! lol j/k

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Thursday, December 15, 2005 3:58 AM
Gm wise, I'd say Ecotec....

'Engine' wise.... anything you want my man.

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Thursday, December 15, 2005 6:11 AM
ohv

I Drank 750 Bottles Of Mountain Dew For A XBOX 360.... AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID HAT.
Thursday, December 15, 2005 6:30 AM
JDM H22
Thursday, December 15, 2005 6:42 AM
scott miles wrote:JDM H22

Please, never post again lol.

Best overall motor goes to the 2.3 Quad 4 HO.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Thursday, December 15, 2005 6:45 AM

I Drank 750 Bottles Of Mountain Dew For A XBOX 360.... AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID HAT.
Thursday, December 15, 2005 6:48 AM
REALISTICALLY though. I see posts on here all the time about people looking to swap a 3800 in. It requires a lot of work and once they end up realizing that... they just give up. For that matter, you could say that an LT1 is the best motor for the J-car because many of the LN2 and LT1 parts are similar

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.

Thursday, December 15, 2005 7:17 AM
2.3 HO best GM 4 cyl (imo.)

But, if you are going to go through all the work of swapping an engine might as well go with 3800sc. Why do all the work of swapping in an a different engine unless it's going to be worth it.

Thursday, December 15, 2005 8:00 AM
2.3L HO. The engine Gods, gift to GM. 20HP from the header is right, proven over every car it's been on.

The 2.6L Quad 4 HO Stroker. <-- that motor makes me "happy" right Scott?

Thursday, December 15, 2005 8:36 AM
I built a 2.6 Quad stroker in highschool for my Olds Cutlass Calais 2dr, and I gotta say, that was a KICK ASS motor. Most people in my school drove Mustang 5.0s or Firebirds and Camaros, and they all made fun of my lttle 4-popper, but then I'd eat em for lunch. Definitely worth it. It's hard to find a low mileage motor, but the parts to rebuild are easy to get and if it's a good block, no worries.
Thursday, December 15, 2005 8:41 AM
Quote:

The 2.6L Quad 4 HO Stroker. <-- that motor makes me "happy" right Scott?
**drools** ....wait..how did you know i was reading this??
anyway..weve all been thru this debate before and it seems like the biggest problem people have with the quad is that its not made anymore and the eco is..so there is a larger market for aftermarket parts...but they miss the simple fact that you dont need ALOT of companys to make parts you just need ONE company to make the RIGHT part ....the only statment i see above that i really dont agree with is this....
Quote:

Quad series. = done. though they have several years of GM R&D behind the engine, it's a discontinued engine, and say he blows it up? It's gonna be a pain to get a quad with low miles and a low price.

theres a simple rule to go by when working on cars ..."If your not braking parts then your not making enough power"

FACT : Statistics show that you are more likely to to be hit by lightning than to die street racing.
FACT : It is our American RIGHT to own a GUN but not to drive a car.
"Those who would sacrifice freedom for saftey deserves neither Freedom nor safety!" - Benjamin Franklin
"The real destroyer of liberties is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search