full exhaust have any emission problems?? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
full exhaust have any emission problems??
Saturday, December 10, 2005 10:07 AM
im about to start purchasing my exhaust setup, header, hi flow cat, duel cat back, and before i do i just want to make sure that it will not effect emission tests .. and if it does, then in what way.

Re: full exhaust have any emission problems??
Saturday, December 10, 2005 10:08 AM
Also long as you are not in Cali and it isn't leaking or throwing a cel light, you will be fine.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Saturday, December 10, 2005 10:11 AM
im in canada so yea, and what problems could throw a cel light???

thanks

Saturday, December 10, 2005 10:11 AM
Fire Fighter wrote:Also long as you are not in Cali and it isn't leaking or throwing a cel light, you will be fine.

Basically what he says. I would add a big resonator as well...some DMVs like to be jerks about the loudness and try to give you a hard time for it.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Saturday, December 10, 2005 10:16 AM
im not sure which header yet (any suggestions?) , im assuming hi flow cats are all similar but magnaflow seems popular, 18" resonator , and i love the look of the rksport duel catback which hopefully sounds sweet with the resonator

Saturday, December 10, 2005 10:21 AM
ANything done improperly could cause a cel light. Make sure you use good quality parts as magnaflow and such and you won't have any problems if it's installed right.

I would not use the rk dual system, just my opinion tho, I just don't like it. Use a Magnaflow 94035 cat and a 18"+ resonator. Goodluck!

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Sunday, December 11, 2005 1:20 AM
If they only use an OBD II test where you live, then you just need to make sure that all of your O2 sensors are properly connected and you SHOULD avoid check engine lights. Of course there are a few codes dealing with the volume of the exhaust flow being too great or something like that, which is caused by the more free-flowing exhaust. Those aren't very common at all though.

Another thing to consider is that with a full exhaust setup, you're going to probably be running richer than you would have before. This comes into play if a tailpipe test is used, where they test the exhaust gases. If your car is spewing out hella-rich exhaust, you might fail, and at any rate, you'll be wasting gas, and not getting as much power as you could. This is when some kind of fuel tuning could become useful, through something like an SAFC or eManage. I'd recommend the former since it's very simple to install and tune, although it would be a good idea to get some help installing and tuning (tuning needs to be done with a wideband either at a dyno or in your car). You may not want to go to this extent to start with though, so I'd suggest installing the headers (personally I think the Pacesetter armor coated ones look like a great deal), cat, and catback, and seeing if you throw any codes or not. If you don't, go have the car tested, and then if you pass, great, if not (and they used a tailpipe test) then you might want to try tuning.

Or just bribe the people at the test site.
Sunday, December 11, 2005 1:31 AM
Marcus Williams wrote:Another thing to consider is that with a full exhaust setup, you're going to probably be running richer than you would have before. This comes into play if a tailpipe test is used, where they test the exhaust gases. If your car is spewing out hella-rich exhaust, you might fail, and at any rate, you'll be wasting gas, and not getting as much power as you could. This is when some kind of fuel tuning could become useful, through something like an SAFC or eManage. I'd recommend the former since it's very simple to install and tune, although it would be a good idea to get some help installing and tuning (tuning needs to be done with a wideband either at a dyno or in your car). You may not want to go to this extent to start with though, so I'd suggest installing the headers (personally I think the Pacesetter armor coated ones look like a great deal), cat, and catback, and seeing if you throw any codes or not. If you don't, go have the car tested, and then if you pass, great, if not (and they used a tailpipe test) then you might want to try tuning.

Your theory in some cases would be correct about a full exhaust making you run rich but the reality is that (atleast in the j-body community), a full exhaust will not make you run super rich. Our computers are able to bring it to a good air/fuel ratio with basic bolt ons. From my experience, fuel was never an issue with bolt ons.

Also, from my experience, I didn't have any issues untill I opened up my motor (first engine mod was camshafts). If the computer runs rich it's because it doesn't know where the extra air is coming from so it's throwing whatever amounts of fuel into your motor. This is a case where you can use an E-manage or SAFC to fix that problem (which is what I actually did).

So ultimately, fuel won't be an issue with bolt ons.

Sunday, December 11, 2005 9:13 AM
sorry if i throw in any confusion and dont mean to contradict you Adam but ive never run rich with my cams liek everyone says they do. maybe my car is just "special" haha idont know

The one, the only, ME.
Sunday, December 11, 2005 11:01 AM
04eco wrote:sorry if i throw in any confusion and dont mean to contradict you Adam but ive never run rich with my cams liek everyone says they do. maybe my car is just "special" haha idont know

You are special lol

It might have to do with your 04 computer...they are very persice at staying at 1 A/F ratio.

Sunday, December 11, 2005 1:02 PM
RKs duel catback sucks originally; i had it. too loud, too much buzzing noise. a 27 inch resonator set that straight.

Sunday, December 11, 2005 1:31 PM
If you're in canada, just make sure that your 02 sensors work properly once the exhaust is done. I didn't had any codes since mine is done. If it's all welded up properly and that your sensors work, you won't have any problems. A cop can pull you over for the sound, but for the exhaust itself.....you still have a cat so.....

Sunday, December 11, 2005 2:37 PM
Only problem I've had with my exhaust set up was for for about 2 weeks I was throwing a P0420 code, burt I'm more than convinced that's from a bad tank of gas...

as far as emission test, i wouldn't know... I bought my car new in Aug, and don't have to test it untill 2010

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 3:12 AM
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search