Got a problem with wiring underneath the car... - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Got a problem with wiring underneath the car...
Saturday, December 10, 2005 11:26 AM
Ok, I just recently purchased and installed an electrical exhaust cutout but I ran into a problem. While I was driving around through the snow yesterday the plug coming from the motor of the cutout, pictured here:

kept getting unplugged. Now, I really don't want a stick or something to get under there while I'm driving and actually rip the wires apart, so I was wondering what would be the best way to protect the exposed wire. You can kinda see that I ran it from the hole in the firewall down along the bottom of the vehicle and zip tied it so it would stay put but it had to cross over this point with nothing to secure it.

What I had thought of possibly doing was... getting a small plate of metal, creating a channel in it for the wire and putting studs from inside the car sticking out to the underside and then just drill holes in the plate and secure it onto the car with the wire between the car and the plate and use nuts to hold it on. I really don't know but I don't want that wire getting messed up.

Re: Got a problem with wiring underneath the car..
Saturday, December 10, 2005 12:36 PM
I have a buddy who has one on his Camaro, he brought his up through the floor board. Just drill a hole and run it under the carpet and to a switch.
Saturday, December 10, 2005 2:37 PM
ImportFyghter wrote:I have a buddy who has one on his Camaro, he brought his up through the floor board. Just drill a hole and run it under the carpet and to a switch.

Exactly. The less wire hanging under the car, the better. Then there no possible way for it to come unplugged, corroded, etc.

Saturday, December 10, 2005 2:43 PM
Yep................and I'd recommend sealing the connections with silicone, and protecting any wire with wire loom for extra safety. Go purchase a grommit though and run it right through the floor of the car, I know my hardware store sells grommits.

BTW how much did that cutout run you?

Saturday, December 10, 2005 3:02 PM
when I had mine I just pout some dielectric greese in the connection and some duct tape around the connection, after that I never had a problem

Sunday, December 18, 2005 10:18 AM
Joe Schulte (JoeDM) wrote:BTW how much did that cutout run you?
$199 shipped.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search