Cool air or Short Ram? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cool air or Short Ram?
Saturday, December 10, 2005 6:59 AM
I have an 03 5 Speed Cavalier ecotech and was wondering what is better Cool air intake or short ram intake? Does cool air make a difference? what should i get?

Re: Cool air or Short Ram?
Saturday, December 10, 2005 7:13 AM
First and foremost it is Ecotec. Second, having a cool air intake helps but the difference isn't that noticeable. I have a AEM cool air because I have the money to waste and I like their products. If you're on a budget, just get a cheap ebay short ram and go to Autozone and buy a K&N to use along with it! It works very well!

"Sig under construction"
Saab Turbo Project.... Nearing completion.
Saturday, December 10, 2005 7:22 AM
there is no such thing as a cold air. by the time that air makes it to the throttle body it's just as warm as a short ram is.

basically, buy what ever one you like the best. it all depends on you and what you like and what you are willing to pay.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Saturday, December 10, 2005 7:29 AM
There is no such thing as cold air unless it's actually cold outside. Cool air is the correct terminology, and even though it may be "warm" when it's hitting the throttle body, it isn't as warm as it would be if the entire tube was sitting inside the engine bay. Like I said, the difference is minimal, but it's still a difference. My friend has the Injen Race Division series intake and tested the temp differences with SR and the CA setup, and what do ya know... the CA yielded several degrees difference.

"Sig under construction"
Saab Turbo Project.... Nearing completion.
Saturday, December 10, 2005 7:46 AM
The cool air, will be a few degrees cooler if the pipe was plastic not metal.

Sunday, December 11, 2005 1:09 AM
a short ram intake also is said to create quicker throttle response than a cold (cool) air intake, since the pipe is shorter. horsepower-wise, I've seen dyno tests and generally a CAI will gain about 1-2 more HP than a short ram...depending on the car, usually in the 5-7 HP range for a short ram, and 7-9 on the CAI.

If you live in a place where it rains a lot and you daily drive your car, you might want to consider short ram for another reason, that is, if you're overly cautious. there is the slight possibility of hydrolock with a CAI (hydrolock = water getting sucked up into engine = BAD). however for that to happen, you have to submerge the entire filter in water, like what would happen if you were to go fording a small creek. it won't happen if the filter just gets splashed or if you drive through a normal sized puddle.
Sunday, December 11, 2005 1:17 AM
Marcus Williams wrote:If you live in a place where it rains a lot and you daily drive your car, you might want to consider short ram for another reason, that is, if you're overly cautious. there is the slight possibility of hydrolock with a CAI (hydrolock = water getting sucked up into engine = BAD). however for that to happen, you have to submerge the entire filter in water, like what would happen if you were to go fording a small creek. it won't happen if the filter just gets splashed or if you drive through a normal sized puddle.

Well said.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, December 11, 2005 1:38 AM
I have an Injen "wai" that is bad ass, I am planning on cutting a small hole in the hood, building a custom airbox around the filter, and then installing a hood scoop right over top of it, instant ram air, even the AEM boys cant beat that.
Sunday, December 11, 2005 1:44 AM
Brett Dixon wrote:I have an Injen "wai" that is bad ass, I am planning on cutting a small hole in the hood, building a custom airbox around the filter, and then installing a hood scoop right over top of it, instant ram air, even the AEM boys cant beat that.

I don't want to rain on your parade but that would seriously be a waste of your time. That would be the same effect if you had a "Cold Air" intake. Even if that worked, you wouldn't gain much over it. Honestly, in my opinion, better time and money would be spent in other areas to gain in performance.

Also, hacking up your hood isn't a smart idea...what if you mess up...no real do overs. If you want a ram air hood, buy one.

Your current intake is good enough.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, December 11, 2005 9:20 AM
Brett, out of curiousity what engine do you have? If its an ECO and your car has ABS
how were you able to get it t fit? I had to mod mine due to how far back the bend is and how it won't clear the ABS modual bracket.

Not trying to start with you I'm just interested in how other people are dealing with INJENS bad design.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Sunday, December 11, 2005 10:04 AM
i thought base models of eco didnt come with ABS?

MY 2003 SUNFIRE 15.6@86mph

"A N/A ecotec is not gonna give Honda's and Mitsu's that much of a run for their
money unless their blown or bottle fed.GM is still smokin crack!"
~1QWKZ24
www.streetracing.org, 08/2001

Sunday, December 11, 2005 10:21 AM
Wellin his reg it says he has an LS. And I know mine came wih ABS.

The INJEN intake says its for a 5spd with ABS when in fact it can not fit.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search