wrong header - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
wrong header
Friday, December 09, 2005 10:11 AM
I bought a header off of ebay that was supposed to be 96-99 2.4 So i took it to the shop this morning to have it put on and the guys tells me that it ain't the right header. I was like what, he said the instructions and everything else are for my car but the actual header won't fit. So we went onto the pacesetter site and it said that the header was for a sunfire. So i got a sunfire header with cavalier 2.4 instructions and such. What should I do? any help would be greatly appreciated

hugs and hand pounds, peace

Re: wrong header
Friday, December 09, 2005 10:15 AM
The engine is the same between a Cavalier and Sunfire.

96-98 is the same 2.4L, so is 99-02. They are slightly different from each other, but should still work with some modification.

Got a pic?

Friday, December 09, 2005 10:16 AM
What is the part number on the box? if it is 72C1277 OR 70-1277 it will fit, anything else and it is wrong.

Cavalier and sunfire use the same header

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Friday, December 09, 2005 10:16 AM
cavaliers and sunfires use the same header

what is your year and motor ?

what part # header did you get ?

Friday, December 09, 2005 10:17 AM
nice 3 answers in a minute , LOL

Friday, December 09, 2005 10:17 AM
You do know that there are onther engines for both the cavy and sunfire.

You prob got a 2.2 OHV header.

Friday, December 09, 2005 10:23 AM
i have a 97 2.4 cavy. the prodcut number was the one tha ended in 77. they told me it wouldn't work.

Friday, December 09, 2005 10:25 AM
they told me that it would hitthe firewall or something like that. it doesn't have the bend in it like the cavalier headers i have seen. i dont have a camera so i have no pic.

Friday, December 09, 2005 10:34 AM
aparenty they dont know or dont want to then...

Friday, December 09, 2005 10:37 AM
so they may have to do something to the firewall? i'm sure that it was supposed to go on without any modifications, but i dont know. they were going to install it for $105 whereas all the other shops that would even do it wanted $175-$200 to put it in.

Friday, December 09, 2005 10:39 AM
I would say they dont want to do it. You have a saw and a 13mm wrench? You can do it in about an hour or so.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Friday, December 09, 2005 10:45 AM
the part number is 1277. it just doesn't have the curve in the back end of it. it is a black painted one if that makes any difference. Did anyone have to cut or do any fabrication to get theres to fit?

Friday, December 09, 2005 10:46 AM
Get a picture i will tell you if it is right or not.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Friday, December 09, 2005 10:48 AM
it looks like the one you have on your website, the one that is next to the 96-99 2.4. it wouldn't make sense to have the instructions and all for a 2.4 header and it not fit? i'm going to call the shop back

Friday, December 09, 2005 10:55 AM
aaron i just sent you an e-mail of the header i have. it is off of a site, thats the only pic i had

Friday, December 09, 2005 11:01 AM
i called the shop back an told them that it was the right header and that he might have to do some modifications and he told me that he doesn't do modifications. so it either fits or he doesn't do it. i guess i will be finding another shop or, after the snow melts getting under there myself.

Friday, December 09, 2005 11:08 AM
Quote:

You can do it in about an hour or so

Only if the factory bolts aint rusted.

Quote:

all the other shops that would even do it wanted $175-$200 to put it in

That's it?
I was quoted around $500 for mine last year.
And that was header 2 of 4 that never got installed.

But basically they don't want to do it.
The header mounts to the rear of the engine. And the shop guy was saying they don't like to touch those. It's not easily accecible.

And you don't have to really 'fab' anything, just use a little more elbow grease to get it in.
Not that big a deal.
But hey, some folks just don't wanna be bothered even if you payem'

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Friday, December 09, 2005 11:11 AM
yeah i guess tha is the case. well if anybody lives in the topkea or kansas city area and would like to install or help me install it i would greatly appreciate it. I would pay them of course.

Friday, December 09, 2005 11:14 AM
Wow i am to cheap on installing cavalier headers. I have always done them for $40 to $75 bucks.... It only takes an hour, those places are making a killing.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Friday, December 09, 2005 11:23 AM
Yup,
Good ole Mid Atlantic price r*pe.

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Friday, December 09, 2005 11:26 AM
the header doesnt have the bend like the stock down pipe , because the pipes are bent at the angle need to put the header out the center of the gap the pipe goes through

the only modifaction needed is to cut the stock pipe for the cat a couple inches before the cat , and weld them together

it sounds more like the shop didnt want to work on your car , lazy ass people suck

there is a metal tag on the header with the part # on it , and it should say 70-1277

Friday, December 09, 2005 1:55 PM
it is the correct header. apparently they hadn't done a cavalier before. well i am going to try the other shops in town and see what they are going to charge, the other two shops i called hadn't even ever installed a header before. theoffer is still out there if anybody would like to help me install it. I would pay for your gas( as long as it isn't a cross country trip) i'd by lunch and pay you. so hit me up an e-mail, freezesauce2004@yahoo.com

Friday, December 09, 2005 4:02 PM
i told the shop guy how to install the header. how you are supposed to cut the stock pipe in front of the cat and then install it, he told me to call him on monday and he would look at it again. sounds like he will do it now.

Friday, December 09, 2005 4:05 PM
Sounds like your exhaust shop is pretty @!#$ up.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Friday, December 09, 2005 4:10 PM
yeah. the guy that did my piping won't touch headers, he said he breaks bolts to easy. the shop i went to today was cowan muffler. the other muffler shops in town either have never done one or want to charge $200+ bucks to install it, plus have it welded someplace else. the tech seemed like he wanted to try it and was starting to figure it out but the boss was like nope, it won't fit, he sold you the wrong header. He was kinda an a#$. but we will see what he says monday morning. for $105 i can't complain.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search