resonator inner - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
resonator inner
Wednesday, October 26, 2005 4:57 PM
im lookin into getting a resonator, i looked at a cherry bomb res, its got the 2.5 inch in and out that i need, but the inside is tiny, its maybe 1.5" through the length of it, is there any res that has the same inside diameter or should i jus buy a 3" in and out and let the muffler shop expand the pipe to fit, still dont think the inside will be that big, thanks in advance

Re: resonator inner
Wednesday, October 26, 2005 5:00 PM
I tryed a Thrush Hush glass pack I couldn't get it to work but I know others have. Anyway they are the same size all the way thru. You can pich them up at Advance Auto.

Good Luck, hope this helps.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 5:06 PM
When I looked at the cherry bomb ones there were the same size inside as the inlet diameter.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 5:15 PM
dont get a glasspack for a resonator!

you'll kill it within 5000miles... they just cant handle the heat of a 4 cylinder.

I really want to try a flowmaster hushpower muffler for a resonator... see what it'll sound like with a real muffler on the end of a pipe but they arent cheap and they're kinda big.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 5:18 PM
Those Flowmaster things are big bucks tho. Summit sells them for over $100.00.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 6:02 PM
i even measured it, who knows, prob a old model or something, wut do u recommend then if a glasspack will get killed by my exhaust? i know magnaflow has some too, but seems like everyone seems to love those dynamax thrush glasspacks
Wednesday, October 26, 2005 6:30 PM
found on summit a dynamax magnum, perforated inner, which i know is a lot better and lasts longer with better sound, only thing is, they have the 2.5" one for 30 bucks, but its only 12 inches long, will a 12 inch res on a 2.5" exhaust actually do nething?

they have one thats 18 inches long, but its i think 60 bucks, which is weird cuz the 3 inch one at 18 inches long is only 30..price mistake?
Wednesday, October 26, 2005 6:47 PM
You want a resonator that has stainless sound deadening material, not fiberglass. I think the magnaflow resonators have stainless mat so they'd be fine.

I should take pics of my cherry bomb... the thing got so hot it actually turned part of it white... sounded great when I first got the exhaust done and it sounded horrid when I ripped that crap and put in the mega dollar flowmaster and a side exit...

Remember boys and girls, you get what you pay for. Do it right the first time so you dont have redo it in the future.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 8:48 PM
dont think the one im lookin at has any kind of insulation, im prob wrong tho, heres some notes on it

Brand: Dynomax Performance Exhaust
Product Line: Dynomax Race Magnum Bullet Mufflers
Case Shape: Round
Inlet Diameter (in): 2.50
Inlet Quantity: Single
Inlet Location: Center
Outlet Diameter (in): 2.50
Outlet Quantity: Single
Outlet Location: Center
Internal Construction: Perforated tube
Muffler Material: Steel
Muffler Finish: Aluminized
Case Length (in): 12.00
Overall Length (in): 16.50
Case Outside Diameter (in): 4.00
Outlet Style: Standard, without tip

the one i would be getting would be the 18 inch one,

anyone know if there is a significant difference between 12 and 18 inch? ive heard 12 inch is to short for the size of my piping, that being 2.5"
Monday, October 31, 2005 12:03 PM
the dynomax race magnum is what i have on my '97 sounds great real deap, i also have a full 2.5 header back system with a vibrant muffler.

Monday, October 31, 2005 1:51 PM
This Ebay store has tons of Magnaflow stuff at pretty good prices and free shipping. The one in the link is the one i just ordered. I have a cherry bomb on now and it is 2.5 in and 2.5 out. the core is like 2" really chokes it down. It sound alright but this one will make it sound a little quieter and deeper.

Magnaflow resonator

Monday, October 31, 2005 2:01 PM
Owen Stampflee wrote:dont get a glasspack for a resonator!

you'll kill it within 5000miles... they just cant handle the heat of a 4 cylinder.
Where in God's name do people get their information nowadays?

Exhaust temperatures from a 4 cylinder are no different than those from a 6 or 8 cylinder. Especially in a system where a catalyst is in place, and the catalyst needs to get to temperatures approaching 1500 degrees to work efficiently. Temperature at the back of the catalytic converter is the same whether it's a Geo Metro 3 cylinder or a Viper V10. J-bodies are nothing special.

I've been recommending for a lot of years for people to use glasspacks as resonators in place of the tuned chamber resonators on the stock exhaust. They are more able to absorb the harsh sound from the exhaust note and they aren't tuned to just one or two frequencies as the stock chambers are. Fiberglass is a perfectly fine dampening material and has been used for decades without any major issues. Why you would think our 4 cylinders are somehow special I have no idea.

PLEASE do your research before you start making recommendations to people who are asking questions and expecting honest answers.

As for the original question about internal diameter, Cherry Bomb glasspacks have a straight through diameter that matches the pipe size. If you saw smaller tubing internally it may have been one of the glasspack-style turbo mufflers that have deadening chambers in them. A true glasspack will be straight through. Just make sure you get one that is perforated core, and not louvered core. If you can see louvers extending into the exhaust path, you don't want it. Cherry Bomb is perforated core, as are many of the other "name brands" like Thrush and Dynomax.

09:f9:11:02:9d:74:e3:5b:d8:41:56:c5:63

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search