header and getting codes thrown - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
header and getting codes thrown
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 9:36 PM
Ok Ive got the pacesetter header installed and ive had it in for about 1000 miles on my car and im starting to throw a code. this is the second time its done this and everyone that i take my car to tells me to replace my sensor. the code im gettin is (P0133 HO2S Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 1) anyone else have problems with this. also i believe its the stock sensor from when the car was first built

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/827643

Re: header and getting codes thrown
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 10:18 PM
the increased exhaust flow has began to foul up the sensor. no big deal. just replace it and reset your PCM. you're probably running richer than normal anyways.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Wednesday, October 26, 2005 5:36 AM
same thing happened to me, bought a new sensor ( 86 buckst at autozone ) threw it in, reset and i was on my way, that was only a week ago the new ones been in, ive heard theyve fouled up again after two. we'll see what happens.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 10:15 PM
Carbon Cavi wrote:same thing happened to me, bought a new sensor ( 86 buckst at autozone ) threw it in, reset and i was on my way, that was only a week ago the new ones been in, ive heard theyve fouled up again after two. we'll see what happens.

and you will continue to foul them until you reset your PCM

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 10:29 PM
ok so if i get a new sensor and reset the pcm i should be fine then. Im not going to have to change these sensors constantly am i cause there 65 dollars a peice

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 10:40 PM
Z Speed Cavi wrote:ok so if i get a new sensor and reset the pcm i should be fine then. Im not going to have to change these sensors constantly am i cause there 65 dollars a peice

you shouldn't as long as it's done properly. Unplug battery. Disconect sensor clip. Remove sensor from header. Install new sensor. DO NOT TOUCH THE SENSOR PROBE WITH YOUR SKIN. Wear a latex glove if necessary. Reinstall sensor. Plug in clip. You should be set

Thursday, October 27, 2005 6:39 AM
alright cool thanks spotabee

Thursday, October 27, 2005 9:39 AM
alot of times when removing the o2 sensor from the stock manifold it will get damaged , happens more often the longer its been in the manifold , and wether you live and drive in a area with alot of salt during the winter

also you might want to shave the o2 sensor bung down some , if the new o2 sensor doesnt help

Thursday, October 27, 2005 10:11 AM
also make sure that its an ac delco o2 sensor your replacing it with its the only one that will not give the slow response code

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Thursday, October 27, 2005 1:24 PM
Rodimus Prime wrote:also make sure that its an ac delco o2 sensor your replacing it with its the only one that will not give the slow response code

I've never had that problem with any of the Bosch OE Type sensors I have ever used.

Monday, October 31, 2005 12:43 AM
ok so i replaced it on the 27th and so far so good. I figured that the sensor got damaged when they installed my header. I will repost if i get the code. if not all is great lol. now just gotta move on to 2 other problems with my car

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 10:15 AM
ok got the code again..... the guy at autozone was tellin me that i may be getting the code cause i might not be letting my car warm up long enough and that the sensor isnt getting a reading when i decided to get on it so is that a possibility? I let it get to 195 before i decided to get on it always so idk what to do. he also said its a possibility that my computer or wiring going to my computer might be bad. I dont see why that would be the problem due to the fact that this started happening after i got the header installed. any ideas would be helpful cause this is really starting to become a pita

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 11:02 AM
I have had a similar problem, and for me it was the wiring. On my 2200 pacesetter the sensor requires an extension, which is the most retarded thing to do to a sensor. I knew the eco didn't need an extension, does the 2.4?
Tuesday, November 15, 2005 11:12 AM
ZFire wrote:I have had a similar problem, and for me it was the wiring. On my 2200 pacesetter the sensor requires an extension, which is the most retarded thing to do to a sensor. I knew the eco didn't need an extension, does the 2.4?

I don't believe it does. You CAN buy a special extension harness from Casper electronics though, made specifically for extending o2 sensors.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 9:23 PM
so you mean put the sensor farther down stream or just extend the wire? A thought i had is cause i got the painted header and striped the paint and repainted it. Is it possible that the heat is radiating out of the header to fast and giving the sensor a bad reading?

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 9:44 PM
not really because typically it's over excessive heat that will foul the sensor

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 12:24 AM
i just had mine go again too, bought the bosche oe replacement from autobone. so im just going to get the rksport 02 sim and say f-it. i did mine the right way before with dis connect battery etc, didnt touch with bare hands had gloves etc etc etc. so instead of doing this once a month im doing 02 sim and forget about it.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 5:29 AM
if its the o2 sensor in the header the o2 simulator wont work also the o2 simulators that rksport sells are made by Casper electronics I had 2 different ones from them cause I kept throwing codes I decided to call Casper electronics myself because the crappy customer service of rksports and the tech I talked to said that the o2 simulators that they have out right now for cavilers are only good up to a 2000 needless to say I got a full refund of purchase and the shipping from rksport
Wednesday, November 16, 2005 7:10 AM
my car is a 2000 though, i heard gm makes them too, true? why wont it work on the header one either?

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 1:45 PM
why would heat have anything to do with it..... The turbo guys produce even more heat then we do n/a and they dont have problems with sensors going bad

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 2:01 PM
did you ever try shortning up the o2 bung ??

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 2:15 PM
shortening the bung? howso and can you please explain how it would help so i can try and understand it better and explain it to my buddy whos helping me?

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 2:25 PM
I think by shoretening the 02 bung it will put the sensor farther into the exhuast stream which causes less fouling

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 2:58 PM
what would I do to shorten it? grind it down? theres a thick washer that goes between the bung and sensor i thought about taking that out and see if that would help any

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 3:04 PM
On another note. I was told to go with the GM O2 sensor that the Bosch was ok.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search