custom intake - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
custom intake
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 3:21 PM
after reading that there is not much difference between DIY intakes and AEM/weapon R ones i have decided to save myself some dough and make my own. I have a question or two: As far as protecting my engine from water, could i just stick some tubing from the Throttle body to right in front of the radiator with a K&N cone filter without having to worry about snow/rain/etc?? Can i get all the tubing at Autozone, or elsewhere?
-thanks

Re: custom intake
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 4:21 PM
your not going to want it right in front of the raditor... its going to get really hot, and 'cause your performance to just go bye bye!

im guessing you have a 2.2 non eco. the air is cooler by the firewall, and if you make a ghetto style U pipe than your going to getting colder air. or you can run it where the stock air box goes... nothing wrong with having it there.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 5:12 PM
its a 2003 ecotec cavalier... should i just take out the stock airbox, and have the filter right there?
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 5:31 PM
This is how i have my intake:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2090440
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 9:11 PM
I just took my stock air box off and put a cone on the end of the stock intake pipe. Works fine.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 10:30 PM
Nitrous Nate wrote:This is how i have my intake:

Mine is similar. Check my registry.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Wednesday, October 26, 2005 2:41 AM
I dont wanna talk down on home-made intakes cause i have one too, but keep in mind when doing it that the expensive ones are the only ones "legal". I know here in Cali that unless you have AEM or K&N then they impound your car overnight with fines. You may not have those problems but its a point to keep in mind.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 4:03 AM
Mundo Pendal wrote:I dont wanna talk down on home-made intakes cause i have one too, but keep in mind when doing it that the expensive ones are the only ones "legal". I know here in Cali that unless you have AEM or K&N then they impound your car overnight with fines. You may not have those problems but its a point to keep in mind.

Damn....that's crazy. I'm glad I live in Jersey, no one cares what you have as long as you pass emissions.

To Sergei, it really doesn't matter if you try and make a "cold air style" intake or not. You will still get about the same amount of airflow either way. I say, just keep it in the engine bay and call it a day.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 7:50 AM
god, I'm glad I live in Ohio were emission testing is only dont in cities like Cleveland, Cincy, columbus, ect... not toledo!
Wednesday, October 26, 2005 8:26 AM
Winnipeg, NO emission testing here! WooHoo open header here I come (j/k)

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 9:04 AM
Extream 4door wrote:Winnipeg, NO emission testing here! WooHoo open header here I come (j/k)

WooHoo cops here they come

For the intake you're better with a "normal" intake it will be easier to make and the difference between a cold air and warm air is not that big. My opinion..

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 9:16 AM
the difference isn't that big, but throttle responce is better.

on a true cold air (running in fenderwell, bumper, ect) will perform better and seems to work better in hi-rpm ranges.

but i've seen that a short ram intake (inside engine bay) will give you a much better throttle responce. Just as long as you keep the piping away from anything that gets super hot (like the exhuast, heads/block, or rad.) you'll be fine.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 2:30 PM
Hey Spotabee Racing where did you get those pipes for yours? Ive been tryin to find some cause that damn rubber bend doesnt hold my n2o nozzle very well...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2090440
Wednesday, October 26, 2005 10:07 PM
Nitrous Nate wrote:Hey Spotabee Racing where did you get those pipes for yours? Ive been tryin to find some cause that damn rubber bend doesnt hold my n2o nozzle very well...

The first pipe where your rubber one is, was originally an Injen WAI that I hacked off. The second cold air extension pipe is a 92-00 SOHC Civic WAI from AutoZone.

Thursday, October 27, 2005 4:02 AM
Here is my intake. It's kinda home made well as for the idea. it's a civic that I modified to work for my cav.

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Thursday, October 27, 2005 8:34 AM
The01Cav wrote:Here is my intake. It's kinda home made well as for the idea. it's a civic that I modified to work for my cav.

that's a standard short ram (WAI) lol. I suppose thats the cheaper route.

Thursday, October 27, 2005 5:08 PM
I've had no problems with a good ol 50 dollar ebay intake. Goes right behind the battery in my non eco 2.2L. Whatever you do, do not do the PVC route. Have some pride in your work.
Friday, October 28, 2005 9:37 AM
haha thanks, i think i might get a cheaper civic intake to modify now. or find some good tubing to make one. Lol PVC???!!! i'd kill to see what happened to the guys' engine bay after all that crap got hot.
Friday, October 28, 2005 12:29 PM
[quote=°Sergei °]after reading that there is not much difference between DIY intakes and AEM/weapon R ones i have decided to save myself some dough and make my own. I have a question or two: As far as protecting my engine from water, could i just stick some tubing from the Throttle body to right in front of the radiator with a K&N cone filter without having to worry about snow/rain/etc?? Can i get all the tubing at Autozone, or elsewhere?
-thanks

You are my favortie noob ever.

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Friday, October 28, 2005 12:31 PM
I have modifed my a 2.4 intake to fit an eco with very little modafaction pm me if you want instructions

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Friday, October 28, 2005 12:50 PM
Here is mine.. I relocated my batt. and that allows it to pick up cold air.

My Sunfire

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search