port and polish - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
port and polish
Friday, October 21, 2005 7:48 PM
ok so i know there are topics out the wazoo about port and polish but i cannot be bothered searching through all of them to find what i need so i was wondering if someone could post or message me instructions on how to properly port and polish my head what what tools would be needed or the link to a topic or site of the same nature and my motor is a 97 2.2liter thanks guys

Visit me on Cardomain

Re: port and polish
Friday, October 21, 2005 7:51 PM
a P&P can be a hard thing to do if you dont know what you are doing. have a machine shop do it for you

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Friday, October 21, 2005 7:56 PM
Mike Smeltzer wrote:ok so i know there are topics out the wazoo about port and polish but i cannot be bothered searching through all of them to find what i need

what makes you think that we can be bothered to tell you how to do it? I know that some people think that they can't be bothered to do it, but not too many if anyone....are rude to enough to say that.

Go Premium, it builds character!

Friday, October 21, 2005 7:59 PM
i am not trying to be rude @!#$ try and search for port and polish....lots and lots of @!#$ comes up and i don't got the time to sit and read through every single @!#$ message about port and polish to find what i want...i thought this place was here to help each other out not be a dickhead like you...don't got anything productive to say then don't say anything @!#$

Visit me on Cardomain
Friday, October 21, 2005 8:25 PM
i kind of agree with howe0822. you have the time to come here and make a post. the time to search. and also the time to do a P&P job. if you have all that time, then you have the time to read thru your search results. you might learn something else other than what you are looking for

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Friday, October 21, 2005 9:37 PM
Nevermind about if he should have searched or not, he posted...lets either give him advice/suggestions or not. That's just how I feel.

99redz24 wrote:a P&P can be a hard thing to do if you dont know what you are doing. have a machine shop do it for you

I agree, if you don't know what you are doing or have the proper machinery to do so, don't do it.

Mike, I see you have a 2.2 OHV, Patriot Performance (
www.patriot-performance.com) makes a Ported & Polished Head the 2.2 OHVs but I'm just not sure if that was is for the 2.2 OHV motor or the 2200 motors (98-2002 OHVs). If it's not for your motor, contact your local machine shop/engine shop to do it for you.

While you have the head off, I suggest upgrading your cylinder head internals (springs, retainers, pushrods etc). Contact Jbody Performance (www.jbodyperformance.com), they have all those parts.

Good luck to you.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Saturday, October 22, 2005 10:36 AM
Quote:

but i cannot be bothered searching through all of them to find what i need

How sweet...... That deffinately deserves a well constructed and considerate answer.

Dremel and a lot of time. Don't F&*# it up.
I'd show pictures of some of the heads I've done but cardomain is changing servers.

Cardomain|Myspace

Saturday, October 22, 2005 12:51 PM
If you had no Experience with Porting don't even waste your time and Money because you will end up doing more harm then good! And coming in here saying you don't want to bother with SEARCHING is like saying give me a jerked off answer! Alot of people on this forum made Sticky's, Posts and Responses Countless times on these Topics for People like us to Search and Find the Information We need! And you Saying you don't want to be bothered with SEARCHING is like spitting in their face! So before you saying somthing like that think first-

You could either SEARCH or Pay the Money to have it done!

Your better of going http://www.patriot-performance.com/ because you ports could end up looking like this ( 0 0 o 0 )
Saturday, October 22, 2005 9:03 PM
NJHK (Sexual Chocolate) wrote:Nevermind about if he should have searched or not, he posted...lets either give him advice/suggestions or not. That's just how I feel.quote]

thank you...good lord...seems to not get shot off to around this place you got to very clear about what you went about..i searched but there was so many search results that after i clicked on a few and didn't find what i was looking for i thought that i might post and someone would be kind enough to help me and this NJHK guy so far that has responded and not had a negative comment to say to me...I am not personally doing this P&P job myself either...i work at a garage doing tires and one of the mechanics has an idea of how to do it but not totally 100% sure so he asked me to go online and get detailed instructions and list of tools and he would tell me if it was within his grasp to pull it off and if it @!#$ up no biggie cause its a spare head that he has at his house that fits my car so i am not out anything...there is that better for you people...i figured this would be the ultimate place to get some advice but all i got was dickheads shooting their faces off...next time i either got a question i will write out a huge long detailed flawfree question or i won't even bother asking you people

Visit me on Cardomain
Saturday, October 22, 2005 10:20 PM
Mike Smeltzer wrote:thank you...good lord...seems to not get shot off to around this place you got to very clear about what you went about..i searched but there was so many search results that after i clicked on a few and didn't find what i was looking for i thought that i might post and someone would be kind enough to help me and this NJHK guy so far that has responded and not had a negative comment to say to me...I am not personally doing this P&P job myself either...i work at a garage doing tires and one of the mechanics has an idea of how to do it but not totally 100% sure so he asked me to go online and get detailed instructions and list of tools and he would tell me if it was within his grasp to pull it off and if it @!#$ up no biggie cause its a spare head that he has at his house that fits my car so i am not out anything...there is that better for you people...i figured this would be the ultimate place to get some advice but all i got was dickheads shooting their faces off...next time i either got a question i will write out a huge long detailed flawfree question or i won't even bother asking you people

Mike, don't let this place get you down, seriously. There is tons of good information and also lots of knowledgable members who are willing to help here. I knew what you meant about your searching and yes, sometimes it's just too much to look through or just doesn't explain what exactly you need know.

Sorry that I'm the only one who didn't give you an attitude but I guess that's how it goes, I try to follow the moto of "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it at all".

Also, make sure that the head he has a 2.2 OHV head (from a 95-97 cavalier/sunfire) and not a 2200 head (from a 98-2002 cavalier/sunfire).

Peace.

Sunday, October 23, 2005 8:02 AM
trust me this place didn't get me down...just pisses me off sometimes thats all thanks for your input and yes its the head from a 95-97 2.2 and not the 2200

Visit me on Cardomain

Sunday, October 23, 2005 3:52 PM
Mike Smeltzer wrote:trust me this place didn't get me down...just pisses me off sometimes thats all thanks for your input and yes its the head from a 95-97 2.2 and not the 2200

No problem. BTW, check your inbox.

Sunday, October 23, 2005 5:54 PM
I wont give you a smart ass answer like some have I will however tell you if you've never done it before I don't recomend trying it without someone looking over your shoulder to keep you from messing it up. Its too easy to cut out too much and hit the water jacket.
But if your insistant on doing it I'd suggest get a head from the junkyard have it cleaned and checked ata shop then you can try to do the port work. Dremmel tool and carbid cutting bits are a must. Also an assortment of grinding stones in various shapes. Take your time, DONOT screw with the combustion chamber area you'll just "F" it up
Just get a gasket lay it on the head where the exhaust manifold bolts to mark where the head overlaps the gasket with a marker remove the gasket and start grinding away with the dremel tool. Do the same for the intake ports the intake manifold and the exhaust manifold/header. Take your time and have fun.

Good Luck

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Monday, October 24, 2005 5:24 AM
i've seen the porting work of jbodyperformance in person, and asked their porter how long he spends on a typical 16-valve head. He said for a mild port its about 13 hours... for something custom, he can spend up to 19 hours perfecting and matching. He also has about 78 difference kind of porting tools.... thats where i'd send my head when im ready to port. plus they specialize in this shiznit.
Monday, October 24, 2005 5:15 PM
I P&P'ed my own head.. 2.4L Twin Cam. Not that hard, just need lots of patience. I hadn't done it before, so I found a dead head and cut it in half to see how much meat there was to remove. Then I practiced on what was left of it... worked pretty well.

A dremel will take you forever. Rent a BIG air compressor (a piddly little 2 gallon or whatever will take as long as a dremel... forget it... go big or go home) and get a die grinder. I used the ones at work... two 100 gallon workhorses took no time at all.

I used about 6 different carbide bits. Tons of WD40 for lubrication.

Find the Standard Abrasives video "Power Porting" and watch it. It helps.

Use old valves in the seats to protect them. Replace them once you're done.

Any more questions?

Monday, October 24, 2005 6:43 PM
A dremel, about 10 different styles of bits and about 14hours. I have done a few heads and they do come out mint it just takes quite a while to do it.

2002 Z28: Slp coldair Pac, Corsa Catback, 3200 stall

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search