14 sec mods? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
14 sec mods?
Friday, October 21, 2005 10:11 AM
Ok, im tring to get into the 14 second mark with out spending lots of cash.

WHAT I DONT WANT TO DO RIGHT NOW:
Nitrous, or boost.

What all can i buy to get me there?

Here's what I have now:
RKSport intake (to the t/b)
B&M Shift improver
and next week the ignition coil springs, and sleeves. as well as the 2 1/4 cat back exhuast.

I don't want to spend over 1200 to do this either.

motor:
trans
4spd auto
car
1997 cavalier ls sedan (motor is outta a 99 Z)

Re: 14 sec mods?
Friday, October 21, 2005 10:18 AM
well personally without nitrous or any form of boost you may not make it into the 14 sec mark and if you do i believe it will be the high 14's.

I dunno.....maybe someone with a little higher knowledge will post.

Later
David

Friday, October 21, 2005 10:20 AM
Header and exhaust will help a bunch. But I don't know about 14's unless you get some more cash. Maybe cams and a re-flash would help get you closer. Your biggest limiting factor that I can see is the auto trans. You'll need a stall convetor if you get too big with the cams.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Friday, October 21, 2005 10:25 AM
14's are possible but you will have to spend some money being that you have an auto ive spent $1500 in my 04 sunfire with the ecotec and ive dropped .5 in the 1/4 16.3 stock to a 15.8 now. you will definitely have to break into the motor with head work, cams, internals, maybe get rid of the balance shafts, some fuel and ignition tuning, header, exhuast, torque converter, etc.
you wont come near low 15's for under 1500. yes autos sucks i know.

The one, the only, ME.
Friday, October 21, 2005 11:28 AM
$1200 can get you into 14s if you do all the work yourself and can invest the time.

Speed takes money, time and knowledge. More of one means less of the others is needed.

I'd say 086 head swap, H/O exhaust manifold, H/O intake manifold/throttle body, secret cams, exhaust and nitrous should get you into the mid 14s for around $1200 easily.

Cardomain|Myspace

Friday, October 21, 2005 11:43 AM
14's on $1200 is only gonna happen if it involves nitrous, I think. Intake, exhaust, ignition springs (junk) aren't going to do much of anything that's gonna get you even close.

Just as an aside...your sig says "Hell yeah I street race", and you're here asking "how do I get into the 14's like really cheap?". Maybe you should change that to "Hell yeah I happen to be in the same area while OTHER PEOPLE racing!". Would be a little more descriptive.

09:f9:11:02:9d:74:e3:5b:d8:41:56:c5:63

Friday, October 21, 2005 11:46 AM
I have seen Nitrious get a lot of cars into the 13's here. Just have to make sure you have the right mods. Rick was running on stock internals with his 2.4 and little mods and made it as low as 12.8 or 12.9. He was running a 100 shot of Nitrous as well. He made a lot of runs on his car befor it finally went. Didn't lenko get into the 13's with BFZ when he had nitrous and his car was an Auto.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Friday, October 21, 2005 12:04 PM
Lot's and lot's of weight reduction!

2004 Cavalier
13.2@105........
Mods...
BFG Drag Radials
Saab Turbo kit
2.5 exhaust, w/cutout
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch
Friday, October 21, 2005 12:08 PM
i have intake, engine mounts, header, high flo cat, 22.5 inch cat back, BF goodrich drag radials and nitrous. my best run to date is a 14.6

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Friday, October 21, 2005 12:11 PM
Quote:

22.5 inch cat back

You sir, are a better man than I.

Cardomain|Myspace

Friday, October 21, 2005 12:21 PM
Well my entire turbo setup only ran me around $1,200 but I like your idea of trying to go all motor. I think its possible without nitrous on your budget though. Maybe headers, throttle body, cams, aluminum flywheel, pulleys, and I would say some decent tires for the strip. Do you have any current base times with your car?

~Boost. Its what's for dinner!~

Friday, October 21, 2005 12:38 PM
Like I said, you don't need forced induction or a huge nitrrous shot if you bump up the compression with that head swap. Put on that head and make it breath easy and you wil get low 15s with an auto. A small shot of nitrous will get you mid 14s on top of it.

Cardomain|Myspace

Friday, October 21, 2005 1:35 PM
14's is what im challenging my self to do. I take it to the track once a year (sometimes more) to see where im at. So im running all stock untill i put the intake on, and the B&M shift kit.

I know if i have to same luck as a friend i should be in the 15's... and i'll take that for a base.

Now, my plans to brake 14's (even if its 14.999) is to try this stuff:

Intake manifold/ throttle body.
Intake
B&M shift improver
fuel injectors *270Cfm/340CFM math pending*
exhuast *head back
and the igntion upgrade from gravana. (those springs/sleeves) with a colder spark plug.
Maybe MSD if its a upgrade for the car, and not just a useless box of wires.

the head will be port matched with the intake/header and i can get a mild P&P from a Halbert Performance (local shop) and probably even save some money and have him do the throttle body as well. hell, he can do the full air system. lol.

it may not take more than 1200 to brake into the 14's. As long as what i buy helps, instead of dampers my performance.

Friday, October 21, 2005 2:04 PM
is there a head i could swap onto an ecotec to help with flow, instead of paying 1000 for one from rsm or whoever?

and yes you can buy a custom turbo kit for a little over 1000 ive heard. you would be picking up some power there, even if it was not intercooled.

AkA joe m.

Ricer ELIMINATOR!
Friday, October 21, 2005 2:21 PM
Jtuners has a kit for 2300 but this goes over my project limits. I could probably get the money together to buy it, but I'd rather keep to my plan to see if its possible. If i do accomplish this, I will write up how i did it and what i did.

Friday, October 21, 2005 2:32 PM
2g @ heart wrote:14's is what im challenging my self to do. I take it to the track once a year (sometimes more) to see where im at. So im running all stock untill i put the intake on, and the B&M shift kit.

I know if i have to same luck as a friend i should be in the 15's... and i'll take that for a base.

Intake
B&M shift improver
exhuast *head back
and the igntion upgrade from gravana. (those springs/sleeves) with a colder spark plug.

the head will be port matched with the intake/header and i can get a mild P&P from a Halbert Performance (local shop) and probably even save some money and have him do the throttle body as well. hell, he can do the full air system. lol.

it may not take more than 1200 to brake into the 14's. As long as what i buy helps, instead of dampers my performance.
''

Everything you listed there is pretty much useless.

Throttlebody will not see a significant increase in power until the engine is tryign to breathe in more air (ported head AND cams). Fuel injectors, first off, are measured in CC (cubic centimeters), not CFM (cfm is cubic feet per minute, which in automotive applications is used to measure airflow), and secondly, you won't need bigger injectors unless you have some way to tune them (reflashed ecu, safc, etc.). Frankly, if you're paying others to do your portwork, 1200 will get you nowhere near 14's on an auto trans.

The ignition springs and sleeves from gravana are worthless junk, and the MSD box will only be useful to you if you use it to advance your ignition timing. Colder plugs likewise won't be necessary unless you are showing signs of detonation.

Trust me, if you want 14's on an auto, save your money and get with the boost. Chances are you'll pay more for all-motor than boost anyway and you said you want to do this for the least amount of money possible.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Friday, October 21, 2005 2:52 PM
lol. i meant 2.25 cat back exhaust

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Friday, October 21, 2005 3:14 PM
yeah, from now on im going to save my money for a boosted application.

just buy your own parts off ebay, people off jbo, online stores etc.. until you have a kit. They have stickied a huge thread on what exact parts you need for your own custom kit.

im trying to find a new or used saab 9-3 factory turbo system. its for the 2.0 eco, but the system bolts up to the 2.2 eco. same exhaust ports i assume. anyone else try this?

AkA joe m.

Ricer ELIMINATOR!
Friday, October 21, 2005 4:28 PM
Scarab (Jersey Jay 1.8T) wrote:
2g @ heart wrote:14's is what im challenging my self to do. I take it to the track once a year (sometimes more) to see where im at. So im running all stock untill i put the intake on, and the B&M shift kit.

Intake
B&M shift improver
exhuast *head back

''

Everything you listed there is pretty much useless.

Throttlebody will not see a significant increase in power until the engine is tryign to breathe in more air (ported head AND cams). Fuel injectors, first off, are measured in CC (cubic centimeters), not CFM (cfm is cubic feet per minute, which in automotive applications is used to measure airflow), and secondly, you won't need bigger injectors unless you have some way to tune them (reflashed ecu, safc, etc.). Frankly, if you're paying others to do your portwork, 1200 will get you nowhere near 14's on an auto trans.

The ignition springs and sleeves from gravana are worthless junk, and the MSD box will only be useful to you if you use it to advance your ignition timing. Colder plugs likewise won't be necessary unless you are showing signs of detonation.

Trust me, if you want 14's on an auto, save your money and get with the boost. Chances are you'll pay more for all-motor than boost anyway and you said you want to do this for the least amount of money possible.

Actually most of what you said is wrong. A TB is no good? Really, tell my car that. The spark plug springs and boots are worthless? Hmm. I do agree that 14's all motor in a auto is very unlikely. I would be really suprised if you got it. unles you built (higher compression etc). I run 14.83 all motor.

FU Tuning

Friday, October 21, 2005 4:45 PM
I'm with scarab. TB is junk unless you get cams. John, you do have the secret cams so on your car it's more likely to help.

15.574 @ 89 mph stock
RandomGuy 171 wrote:
Rule one of dating: Thy girlfriend shalt not havith a faster car than thee.

Friday, October 21, 2005 5:22 PM
DanteMustDie wrote:I'm with scarab. TB is junk unless you get cams. John, you do have the secret cams so on your car it's more likely to help.

I had the TB years before my cams. I ran 14.9 on stock cams with a TB and a other mods.
You know people can question me all they want or say I'm wrong, but every little mods be it motor mounts, spark plug springs and boots add up. they might not give you a hp for each but everything adds up. Ask anyone who has seen my car run, or ask the Supercharged J that had a tough time tracking me down and he had 2.5 pulley, alky injections, headet etc.... How many people are running 14's all motor i a J, or a 2.4 J??? Everyone listens to the ones who aren't even close.

FU Tuning

Friday, October 21, 2005 9:49 PM
im listening to everyone tring to get my applications ready.

and in common theroy and more air you can put thru the motor is going to help.

having cams just helps bring it out more since the lift is more. but with the fuel/exhuast/air uprgades that practically equals a set of cams.

Saturday, October 22, 2005 8:24 AM
Jackalope wrote:Your biggest limiting factor that I can see is the auto trans.quote]

I'm not to up to date on the auto/manual for the cavalier but as far as the old Turbododge's went, the auto would get you a faster 1/4 time and the manual would net you a faster trap speed.
Saturday, October 22, 2005 9:58 AM
hi i was wondering... i have a 97 z24... i have udp, eam intake header 2.25 cat, 2.5 hi flow cat,motor mounts top and bottom, and i have ony ran a 16.2 is my best time(automatic). is this a normal time to run or is there somthing wrong with my car. Could someone let me know ...thanx Dj

Saturday, October 22, 2005 4:09 PM
i had a hard time following your first line of words there... i'd say you have something wrong, or your not getting enough fuel to make up for the air escaping the car.

and i'd rather use the auto for this reason: Nothing can shift better and quicker than the computer... this way im not conserned about traction at launch, missing gears, slow shifting, ect. and im not sure how the a/t transmission is going to slow me down. well... the weight of it i can see a little, but not alot!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search