Engine swap troubles (quick answer) - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Engine swap troubles (quick answer)
Friday, October 21, 2005 10:39 AM
Hello,
Yes I am a noobie, but I need to get past all of that right now. I need this question answered relatively quick. So here we go:

This would be a sunfire with a recent engine swap. The engine that was swapped into the sunfire was a 2.2L out of a truck (s-10 maybe) from a junkyard with about 37K on it. The reason it was in the junkyard is unknown. With the new engine in the sunfire and running there is a ticking noise coming from down by the alternator, almost underneath the car (as described). My initial thought was serpentine belt, but thats not it because it is fairly new. The ticking does not speed up or slow down with engine rev's, it stays consistent. Also, after driving it seemed to get louder. Any thoughts on what it could or could not be?

Thanks guys.

Re: Engine swap troubles (quick answer)
Friday, October 21, 2005 10:53 AM
Helloooooooooooooooooooo
Friday, October 21, 2005 10:59 AM
wow you need to relax, there's not always going to be a person just to answer your questions in less than 20 mins especially when its vague.

your best bet is go to an autoparts store, buy a stethoscope and find out exactly where the ticking is coming from, then more people might be able to help.

and give your thread more then 20 mins before you bump it, i do believe bumping is against the rules also.

Friday, October 21, 2005 11:03 AM
Already tried that message and it didnt do much, or really pin point anything. And I didnt bump it, I said helllllloooooooooooooooo. Sheesh, this is important, and with almost 100 people online it shouldnt be too hard.

Thanks
Friday, October 21, 2005 11:09 AM
I'm sure those 100 people have more important things to do. and you still bumped it.

without a pin point location its hard to say what your problem is. coule be alt, starter, could be alot of things and i doubt anyones going to be able to tell you exactly what it is, without more info, or hearing it for themselves.

Friday, October 21, 2005 11:09 AM
and out of those 100 people i doubt there will be someone who can answer your question without thinking about it for a bit. if it was a pulley or belt issue it would speed up with the eninge RPMS also i agree with him go buy a cheap stethoscope and find where exactly it is coming from and i'll bet you will find the problem yourself while searching with the scope

The one, the only, ME.
Friday, October 21, 2005 11:21 AM
not a whole lot of things tap and get louder after driving.
Sounds like a spun bearing or valve tap to me. I'd really have to hear it or be there to help any further than that. If you can describe it better that would be great.

But really...... you waited all of 14 minutes before posting again wondering why nobody rushed to your side. There are a lot of people here but there are also a whole lot of difrerent threads and message boards. Out of the 100 people here, how many of them do you think are here to answer questions compaired to those here to ask questions?
Also take into consideration that we all have lives.

Cardomain|Myspace

Friday, October 21, 2005 11:24 AM
Sorry sorry, I'm just really hot to get this answered... I know jack @!#$ about sunfires, thats why I am asking you guys.
Friday, October 21, 2005 11:33 AM
Quote:

not a whole lot of things tap and get louder after driving.
Sounds like a spun bearing or valve tap to me. I'd really have to hear it or be there to help any further than that. If you can describe it better that would be great.{/quote]

Cardomain|Myspace

Friday, October 21, 2005 1:13 PM
Robert . wrote:Sorry sorry, I'm just really hot to get this answered... I know jack @!#$ about sunfires, thats why I am asking you guys.

so why were you doing this swap again????

Friday, October 21, 2005 1:26 PM
id be willing to bet it a timing chain. my buddys s-10 did that for a while he replaced it and the noise is gone. common on the trucks actually no idea why.

Saturday, October 22, 2005 9:41 AM
Hi guys i have a question? my 97 cavi z24 wants to stall when it is cold(like the rpm reving up and down but no gas to go)and then after a minut it will be fine. Also it feels like my cavi is being held back by somthing, it feels kindof sluggish. could some please tyr to hepl... thanx Dj

Saturday, October 22, 2005 9:55 AM
^^^^^^change the fuel filter and work from there.

Cardomain|Myspace

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search