Dear GOD !! the wheel hop is horrible!! - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Dear GOD !! the wheel hop is horrible!!
Friday, October 21, 2005 6:42 AM
Ok so I just did the Pacesetter header with 2 1/2 inch pipe, I got the Injen intake, 2 inch drop with 18's EBC brakes, Eibach sway bar, B&M short shifter, and a turn buckle replaced my lower mount. Anyway when I'm getting on it and bang second the wheel hop is horrible. I mean BAD !! Is there anyway to stop this other then the RK Sport lower control arms? Any ideas guys?

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Re: Dear GOD !! the wheel hop is horrible!!
Friday, October 21, 2005 7:05 AM
Get the control arm bushings. They help alot, prolly not as much as the control arms but hey there 35 bux. Tranny mounts might help a little too.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Friday, October 21, 2005 7:25 AM
what ^^ he said. control arm bushings will really help get rid of that wheelhop

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Friday, October 21, 2005 8:10 AM
Yup I agree.

Also a good front sub frame brace.
Helps keep things in line for going straight.
No bad for cornering too.

See if you can snag one form Speed Racer Z.

I gotta find brooklyn MD and come check out o ride.

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Friday, October 21, 2005 8:26 AM
Thanks guys. Hey Mastin where are you at? Brooklyn Park is just south of Balto. city
on Rt.2

Friday, October 21, 2005 8:55 AM
I'm up hee in Towson.
But route 2 eh? Hehehe I been around there.

WIll look into it
Thanks
-M

Friday, October 21, 2005 9:48 AM
control arm bushings and better tires make the wheel hop a distant memory. The other thing you can do is have an alignment shop set you up with a little more than factory spec toe-out (like, 1/16) and have them adjust it so that the camber is 0 degrees when the front end is lifted by about 3 inches or so... this will make the wheels perfectly flat and in contact with the road when your front end lifts on a hard launch. The toe is compensating for how the tires want to claw inward when they grab. You can try asking Nitro for more details, as I remember a post of his about getting something similar done a while back.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Friday, October 21, 2005 10:15 AM
Scarab, My tires are brand new Kumho 711 so I can't imagine them being the problem.
As for alignment when I dropped it I used a level up against the rim and set it perfectly flat. I didn't mess with the tie rods so they shouldn't be out either, I would guess since
my tires aren't wereing funny but I'll get it checked out anyway. Looks like I'll get the bushings when I can aford them but till then I guess I'll just take it a little easier.

Friday, October 21, 2005 10:17 AM
Mastin, Where at in Towson? I think Event lives up that way. You should check out the regions forum we usualy have meets almost ever weekend. Weather permiting.
If you want to come hang out some time that'd be great.

Friday, October 21, 2005 11:01 AM
A subframe brace will go a looonng way. If your inclined enough, you can make your own, I did. And it works very well. Even with stock suspention. I can get you some pic's and spec's if you want.

My Sunfire
Friday, October 21, 2005 11:15 AM
/\ /\ /\ Subframe brace? Please explain. And yes pics would be awesome thank you.

Friday, October 21, 2005 1:45 PM
Subframe brace info

/\ /\
That'll get ya started... My bar is 31" long... I'll get pics tonight when I get home. Unless someone else beats me to it.

My Sunfire
Friday, October 21, 2005 2:58 PM
I used to live in the apartments about 2 complexes down on Cranbrook.
In in parkville now but practically still towson.

I remember the Whitemarsh meets n stuff.

Meantime about the wheel hop, don't burn out what you have.
And do the ailgnment thing at a shop where you/they can look at the numbers at least so you know for sure.

-M

Friday, October 21, 2005 4:49 PM
The easiest way to correct this is to time your shift. It's the timing of when you release the clutch versus when you mash on the gas. Hard to explain, but through practice I got rid of that bitch of a 2nd gear wheel hop

15.574 @ 89 mph stock
RandomGuy 171 wrote:
Rule one of dating: Thy girlfriend shalt not havith a faster car than thee.

Friday, October 21, 2005 5:26 PM
DanteMustDie wrote:The easiest way to correct this is to time your shift. It's the timing of when you release the clutch versus when you mash on the gas. Hard to explain, but through practice I got rid of that bitch of a 2nd gear wheel hop

What?????? It is a traction issue.
Also get front sway bar busings, they will help a lot. Biggest thing is driving. If you have wheel hop let out. That is what breaks axles.

FU Tuning

Friday, October 21, 2005 5:50 PM
you have that much wheel hop from those mods? i have more than that and dont have a problem with wheel hop in second gear.

Friday, October 21, 2005 6:14 PM
jackalope, get the control arm bushings, friend. i have them, with the subframe brace, and with sticky tires, no wheel hop. youll see, trust me. now, keep in mind, though, youll have to get someone to press the bushings into the control arms. thatll cost ya extra labor. the subframe, on the other hand, can be welded on in a matter of a couple of minutes. youll corner better too. good luck.

...don't hate!.. respect people that have talent, even if it is in something you don't like or understand.
Friday, October 21, 2005 6:14 PM
engine mounts, trans mounts, control arm bushings, strut tower brace, a nice quialty shock/strut/coilover setup, good tires, and a subframe brace (talk to Ken2.2)

it all but eliminates wheel hop... I used to have bad wheel hop problems and above is what i did to fix it

Friday, October 21, 2005 6:20 PM
a set of drag radials will solve the problem

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Friday, October 21, 2005 8:14 PM
wheel hop owns my Murrays remanufactured axles..

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Sunday, October 23, 2005 10:09 AM
Ok did an exparament. I took out the turn buckle lower mount I instaled and put the factory one back in wheel hop DROPPED big time. In case noone knows what a turn buckle is think of it as a solid lower mount so the engine does not rock AT ALL. I guess I'll just leave it out till I do the bushings. Oh but its not like it would happen if I drive normaly only when I'm REALLY getting into it.

Thanks everyone.

Sunday, October 23, 2005 11:03 AM
Jackalope wrote:Ok did an exparament. I took out the turn buckle lower mount I instaled and put the factory one back in wheel hop DROPPED big time. In case noone knows what a turn buckle is think of it as a solid lower mount so the engine does not rock AT ALL. I guess I'll just leave it out till I do the bushings. Oh but its not like it would happen if I drive normaly only when I'm REALLY getting into it.

Thanks everyone.
I think it is the stock struts that is the problem. I put my stock suspension back on for the winter and my wheel hop is back. and i have control arm bushings and a front STB. but with the RK coilovers and AGX's i had no wheel hop.

see ya!

Sunday, October 23, 2005 12:16 PM
Wow I am surprised my Post still gets pulled up. I make the Sub Frame Brace for this very reason. It helped alot as far as wheel hop and hard cornering. I haven't made any in a while, but if some one is looking for an affordable SFB just E mail me at Ken52307@yahoo.com and I will get you one asap. (usually with in a week)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search