Shift Light Install - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Shift Light Install
Sunday, September 25, 2005 6:53 PM
I am in the process of installing a Raptor Shift light on my 01 Z24, I have done a post search but found very little information. My main concern is where to tap for the tach signal for the shift light, some say pink wire, some say number 10 fuse. All help is appreciated.

2001 Z24 (bolt-ons) 15.01 @ 90.78mph

Re: Shift Light Install
Sunday, September 25, 2005 6:56 PM
i would like to know this also. not just bc i want to do it, b/c i have hit the rev limiter more times than i want to lol. damn supercharger.......

2000 Camaro V6.
| SLP Loudmouth | CAI Intake | HID's |

Monday, September 26, 2005 6:05 AM
Tuesday, October 04, 2005 2:30 PM
After about a hour of calling around I finally got it installed and up and flashing. Set it a 6,300 rpm until I get use to it. After calling a few shops that install tachs I found that the white wire that comes into the IDI cover is the tach signal. Worked for me and my 01 Z24. Side note for anybody that is looking at the Raptor shift light (highly recommend it) Make sure you set the number of cylinders to two, Install on my F-Body had me set it to 4 cylinders even though it was a eight, point made.

2001 Z24 (bolt-ons) 15.01 @ 90.78mph
Tuesday, October 04, 2005 4:50 PM
quicksilverz wrote:After about a hour of calling around I finally got it installed and up and flashing. Set it a 6,300 rpm until I get use to it. After calling a few shops that install tachs I found that the white wire that comes into the IDI cover is the tach signal. Worked for me and my 01 Z24. Side note for anybody that is looking at the Raptor shift light (highly recommend it) Make sure you set the number of cylinders to two, Install on my F-Body had me set it to 4 cylinders even though it was a eight, point made.

Weird my 01 Z24 it is a pink wire for the tach signal. I have a autometer shift light and it has a switch for 4-6-8 cylinder cars.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 8:59 PM
white eh? might have to try it tomorrow

2000 Camaro V6.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 1:13 PM
ok, that sure as hell didnt work either. car was shaking and when i tried to give it gas it just died. any other wires i should try?

2000 Camaro V6.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 5:43 PM
Look at the link I posted. It is the pink wire on the wires going into the IDI cover.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 6:09 PM
Or add a wire to your PCM....... Black Connector, Pin 10...... on the 97-99 PCM, thats where the Tac signal wire is (that goes to the UNDER HOOD FUSE BOX)..... on the 00+ they dont have that wire, but you can add one. Couple bucks for the pin from the dealer, and a few feet of wire........ tac. signal.

I tried to get my shift light to work on my 02...... tried every wire @ the IDI that was supposed to be Tach output........ non worked (used to install alarms and remote starts, so I know there is some kind of signal there....... plus thats where the dyno gets it from) In either case, if it was there, it wasnt strong enough to trigger the shift light....... so added that wire to the PCM, works mint.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 10:35 PM
John Higgins wrote:Look at the link I posted. It is the pink wire on the wires going into the IDI cover.

i tried that wire also, didnt work. i dunno if i have a bad rpm activated switch or not, found it on the road cleaning at burger king lol......so i wanna do everything possible b4 forking out the cash for another box.......

2000 Camaro V6.

Thursday, October 06, 2005 2:27 PM
ZStreetCavSC(Whinin) wrote:
John Higgins wrote:Look at the link I posted. It is the pink wire on the wires going into the IDI cover.

i tried that wire also, didnt work. i dunno if i have a bad rpm activated switch or not, found it on the road cleaning at burger king lol......so i wanna do everything possible b4 forking out the cash for another box.......

Weird. i used that wire on my 97 Z24 with no problems, as well my 2001 Z. Also a couple other J's.

FU Tuning

Thursday, October 06, 2005 11:33 PM
ok, so i have a jegs shift light, the cheapest one lol......one wire is power and the other goes to the rpm activated switch correct? if so then i have it hooked up wrong lol.....ill try it this way tomorrow and hopefully it will work.....

2000 Camaro V6.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005 9:13 AM
I ordered the tach adapter from RKS to connect my Summit Racing RPM switch to my shift light. I have a '98 2.4L BTW. I wired it per the diagram and nothing. I also tried to use the tach signal output at the fuse box (white wire) and still nothing. It's hard to believe a damn shift light is this complicated!

The RKS adapter use the coil triggers. The Autometer and MSD ones use the 12V input to the coils to get a signal. I don't want to order another tach adapter for the same result.

Options, advice anyone?

-Vincent K.
1998 Z-24
2001 THSCC STR Class Autocross Champion
Member of Solo Sport Racing
www.solosportracing.com
http://www.j-body.org/members/vkz24/
"Luck is preparation given an opportunity"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search