? about convert. weight difference - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
? about convert. weight difference
Monday, October 03, 2005 2:09 PM
why does it seem that the stock convertible j-bods are about 100 lbs heavier then the regular roofed j-bodies??? shouldnt the convertible be lighter cause it doesnt have a roof???

Girls like guys with sports cars...like a Fiero, or Probe.

Re: ? about convert. weight difference
Monday, October 03, 2005 2:11 PM
the convertible needs extra framing underneath the car so the car doesn't buckle. the roof acts as a structural reinforcement, without it, the car can bend

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Monday, October 03, 2005 2:58 PM
aw man so a vert would actually be a little slower (cuz the xtra 100 lbs)then a regular j-body i was hopin it'd be lighter and faster o well

Monday, October 03, 2005 3:13 PM
That's correct.

All the extra bracing needed to keep the car from twisting itself into a pretzel is what adds the weight and slows it down.

Definitely worth it though if you enjoy the top-down driving.

Monday, October 03, 2005 3:38 PM
i can vouch for the slowness of the vert...my best time was a 17.029@79.47 in the quarter compleatly stock

If I'm weird and everyone else is weird, does that make me normal?
-me

Versus Motorsports really @!#$ sucks
and so does DHL...but more
Monday, October 03, 2005 4:12 PM
In my old mustang convert, if you jacked the front or back up and then opened the door you couldn't close it again without putting the car down lol. and no the frame wasn't rusted lol

._____________________________.
Causa latet vis est notissima

DIY Clear 03+ Headlights

Monday, October 03, 2005 7:08 PM
Same thing with my convertibles.. jack up one corner, and the doors don't close properly. Frame is allowed to flex a certain amount. Doesn't do it as much once you slap some suspension goodies on there.. stiffening bars, etc...

The 100 pounds or so is more like 300. But it's not that much of a difference. Just add some more power and you're good to go. My 99 convertible in stock form is faster than a lot of other J-cars out there... ask devil_Z22... he got his ass handed to him

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search