SECRET WEAPON or AEM CAI for ECO - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
SECRET WEAPON or AEM CAI for ECO
Monday, October 03, 2005 6:05 AM
Hey,
Just read most of the posts concerning this intake on the "group purchase."
I've had the RKSPORT intake for a long time! It was the only one out there back in 02!
Now its time to switch, so can anyone tell me about this intake compared to AEM CAI?
The post said 9 WHP for this SECRET WEAPON!!! I'm probably getting 3 from my RKSPORT (see why I wanna switch)
Can anyone tell me how they like this intake for their ECO, specifically if anyone has had fitment problems with an 02 hood! Even though I have a carbon fiber hood, I don't know how this intake would fit if I bought it.
I NEED A POLL! AEM or SECRET WEAPON???
Thanks a lot

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Re: SECRET WEAPON or AEM CAI for ECO
Monday, October 03, 2005 9:17 AM
I say stay with the RKsport intake... all intakes are just pipes with filters attached to the end, why waist the money on something you already have?

There's really going to be no real gain by switching between aftermarket intakes. Event will probally chime in on this too because I think he's gone through 4 or 5 intakes, and had no real difference in power.

Keep what you have if it's for go, change if you want show. That's the best way to sum it up

Monday, October 03, 2005 9:18 AM
Sscret weapon my ass, lol. The highest tested CAI was the AEM I believe. It had something like 6.7hp gain on an STi. All these CAI companies claim to be better then one another when all CAI's do generally the same thing. Its just an air intake with piping. Given, the best ones are AEM and Injen, they all perform the same.
Monday, October 03, 2005 6:13 PM
They probably got a 9hp gain, from using a leaf blower ... and if you dont know what im talking about, search the "other cars" fourm.

dan

My momma told me I was cool = )
Monday, October 03, 2005 7:08 PM
No you guys, If Weapon R says its "SECRET TECHNOLOGY" I believe them, not to mention it also comes with a straw and a bag of blow.

But really...
If you are looking for more performance and you already have a intake (any kind) you need to do something else other than buy a different intake, your just throwing your money away.

Looking at your mods, next logical step is a head port and valve job, maybe cams, depending on if you are planning on boosting or not in the future.

15.71 @ 87.9mph 9-17-05
Monday, October 03, 2005 8:20 PM
exodus 259 wrote:Sscret weapon my ass, lol. The highest tested CAI was the AEM I believe. It had something like 6.7hp gain on an STi. All these CAI companies claim to be better then one another when all CAI's do generally the same thing. Its just an air intake with piping. Given, the best ones are AEM and Injen, they all perform the same.

Actually, AEM is the only company that makes a "CAI" style intake for the ECOTEC

The secret weapon intake (the real one, not the partial ones they sell on ebay) are actually good and there is some type of technology into it. If you want to know more about it, talk to Encriptor, he's an actual dealer for weapon-r (www.definedparts.com) and he's personally done tests on them with his cars.

I know most people are going to dawg the Secret Weapon Intake and that's fine...

Now, generally speaking, an intake will only do so much as far as performance and they are generally the same, so getting rid of your RK Sport intake for another one, you more than likely won't notice a difference. I say you clean your current one and call it a day.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Monday, October 03, 2005 8:40 PM
I've had the weapon R header for while and I had the weapon R intake.... I can honestly say i will never ver buy a weapon R product again

Monday, October 03, 2005 11:46 PM
Darkstars wrote:I've had the weapon R header for while and I had the weapon R intake.... I can honestly say i will never ver buy a weapon R product again

i have the header...and i 2nd what u said

MY 2003 SUNFIRE

"A N/A ecotec is not gonna give Honda's and Mitsu's that much of a run for their
money unless their blown or bottle fed.GM is still smokin crack!"
~1QWKZ24
www.streetracing.org, 08/2001
Monday, October 03, 2005 11:52 PM
it looks like i'm the odd one. i have a K&N intake on my car. not sure about hp gains, but what the others have been saying. your not gonna notice a difference, and they all do relatively the same thing. only difference i could see, is if u were going from a ram air intake to a cold air.

^ my cavy of course.
Tuesday, October 04, 2005 8:02 AM
I thought Injen make one for the Ecotec as well? Damn, lol. Well when i buy mine, that really narrows it down, LOL
Tuesday, October 04, 2005 8:40 AM
stick w/ the rk sport, its nice

just spend money else where
id get some tranny mounts, the upper motor mount, and arm bushings

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 9:03 AM
Darkstars wrote:I've had the weapon R header for while and I had the weapon R intake.... I can honestly say i will never ver buy a weapon R product again

I've only had the Dragon intake from them, and that was on my 01 2200 4 speed auto Cavalier. That intake hit the hood, so I had to cut the rupper peice that attached to the TB & intake to get it to fit, THEN that intake still made it damn near impossable to get a STB to fit.

Those 2 problems and the fact that I NEVER received a filter I ordered from them last year, NEVER received a refund or had them respond to my BBB complaint is why I'll never buy another Weapon R product

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 11:12 AM
exodus 259 wrote:I thought Injen make one for the Ecotec as well? Damn, lol. Well when i buy mine, that really narrows it down, LOL

For the CAI style, only AEM has it in the CAI style...Injen's intake is a "WAI" style.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 10:19 AM
I'm still confused!! Thanks for all who posted!
Colder AIR means more DENSE air right? So the denser the air, the faster it burns. I figure the WAI I have still sucks in some hot engine air no matter how fast outside air is coming in. SO, with an AEM CAI wouldn't I have better combustion?
This wouldn't be such an issue if I did not LIVE IN FLORIDA!. My car performs totally different in this heat; winter time its totally different in how it pulls.
Talk to me
Thanks

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 6:01 PM
02ecotecimportkiller wrote:I'm still confused!! Thanks for all who posted!
Colder AIR means more DENSE air right? So the denser the air, the faster it burns. I figure the WAI I have still sucks in some hot engine air no matter how fast outside air is coming in. SO, with an AEM CAI wouldn't I have better combustion?
This wouldn't be such an issue if I did not LIVE IN FLORIDA!. My car performs totally different in this heat; winter time its totally different in how it pulls.
Talk to me
Thanks

What you are missing is that the whole "Cold Air" and "Warm Air" is a gimmick. They call it that those names to draw people like yourself in to conclusions like you just said. In reality, when your car is moving, you are still getting in enough cool air circulation. If this wasn't true, you would see cars everywhere breaking down because they are getting nothing but hot air.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 6:07 PM
^^^
they just say cai and wai instead of long ram and short ram because its easier and sounds better.

basically a short ram has better throttle response and hp while a long ram has better torque

Thursday, October 06, 2005 6:56 AM
hp gains from a well designed "CAI" or a "WAI" are about the same, as NJHK said it's more of a gimmick than anything else.

-Chris

Thursday, October 06, 2005 7:41 AM
The only real difference is that getting a CAI is more of a risk because of how low it is to the ground. There's a good chance it'll suck in water or something else that will lock the engine. You can by a valve for it that fixes that problem, but I remember reading something saying it lowers the power a bit.
Thursday, October 06, 2005 4:54 PM
exodus 259 wrote:The only real difference is that getting a CAI is more of a risk because of how low it is to the ground. There's a good chance it'll suck in water or something else that will lock the engine. You can by a valve for it that fixes that problem, but I remember reading something saying it lowers the power a bit.

Actually, we have had many threads about this and many different people who have "Cold Air" style intakes and drive them daily in all types of weather and have never had any type of water issues...and these are also people who DO NOT have a bypass valve. The only way I could seriously see you getting water inside is if you're driving through a semi-flooded area but even still that tube is very long so it's not like you'll suck up a river but little amounts of water.

Thursday, October 06, 2005 11:27 PM
Well, I just installed the AEM CAI on my 05 fire yesterday. I honestally don't think water is going to be a big deal because the filter is almost in the exact spot that the opening is for the bong. I'm still putting on a bypass valve though just for the added insurence... I just got to go exchange the 2.5" inch valve for a 2.75 inch valve...

Friday, October 07, 2005 11:04 AM
The AEM is the best way to go if you are looking for peak peformance. I have the AEM and my buddy has the weapon R "secret technology" and i walk away from his cavalier. I have an 03 cavi auto and he has an 02 cavi manual eco. i am not sure if they made changes from 02 to 03 or what but those are the facts.

2003 Silver Cavalier 2.2L Ecotec!!!!

Friday, October 07, 2005 12:34 PM
NJHK (Sexual Chocolate) wrote:
exodus 259 wrote:I thought Injen make one for the Ecotec as well? Damn, lol. Well when i buy mine, that really narrows it down, LOL

For the CAI style, only AEM has it in the CAI style...Injen's intake is a "WAI" style.

Speaking of injen, does anybody with an eco have one? WAI of course. If you do could you post some pics of it. Thanks.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 7:55 AM
RATBAG,
DO YOU HEAR THE INTAKE SOUND?? MINE SOUNDS ONLY WITH THE HOOD UP!!
I KNOW WITH VTEC AND AN AEM CAI, ITS REALLY LOUD AND SOUNDS GOOD.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 8:02 AM
ratbag wrote:The AEM is the best way to go if you are looking for peak peformance. I have the AEM and my buddy has the weapon R "secret technology" and i walk away from his cavalier. I have an 03 cavi auto and he has an 02 cavi manual eco. i am not sure if they made changes from 02 to 03 or what but those are the facts.

03 is when they started putting in the Ecotec. The 95-02 has a different engine, and i don't recall the name of it off hand, lol.
Tuesday, October 11, 2005 9:16 AM
the 02 Cav LS sport and the Sunfire GT had the 2.2 Eco in them

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search