question about Porting head - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
question about Porting head
Sunday, October 02, 2005 6:28 PM
I've torn the head out of my 96 2.2, and am currently cleaning it up, and have been hearing for a while about people porting their own head. I've never done thing, and I've had a kid my age come to my work and ask if we sold a dremel that would be good for porting a cylinder head (for a honda). That just doesn't seem safe to me, but if it is do-able I know I'd be able to with a little direction.I'f really appreciate any response, whether your scolding me, or want to help me. thanks guys.

Re: question about Porting head
Sunday, October 02, 2005 7:32 PM
Read this article by Standard Abrasives Motorsports. They say to use a 1/4" die grinder, but with the smaller cylinder heads, such as what all the J-Body cars come with you can do it just fine with a Dremel type tool, but a die grinder would help speed things up on the larger parts.

Sunday, October 02, 2005 8:17 PM
^^ indeed. just stay away from those valve seats. and have patience.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Sunday, October 02, 2005 9:22 PM
thanks for the info, I read the guide, I've examined the head, now I just have to get my dremel from my dad's house and get started. If anyone else feels like adding in please do.
Sunday, October 02, 2005 11:34 PM
Monday, October 03, 2005 10:33 AM
did anyone do anything to the intake manifold? any help
Monday, October 03, 2005 5:49 PM
You can port the intake manifold, just keep it about 0.060-0.100" under the size of the intake port on the head. If you match the intake maniflod to the head and it's slightly off set, then you'll have a flat wall restricting the air flow.

Monday, October 03, 2005 6:19 PM
Spotabee Racing wrote:^^ indeed. just stay away from those valve seats. and have patience.

If you polish the combustion chamber you will lower the compression of the engine. The head would also have to be cc'ed, to make sure you didn't take more out of one chamber. I would stay away from the C.C. unless you are changing pistons (custom made) or going FI.

Borsty wrote:Bio:------------- i work at ups lifting heavy @!#$ ill day, and i rip phonebooks in half

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search