pontiac sunbird - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
pontiac sunbird
Sunday, October 02, 2005 9:21 PM
Hey wassup again guys. I haven't gotten a straight answer about my pontiac sunbird yet. Its a 1987 sunbird with a 2.0L OHC (98hp & 118 ft-lbs) Vin:K. Is it possible to get over 200hp with $1100. and if not what would you guys do? engine swap, turbo, etc.

Re: pontiac sunbird
Sunday, October 02, 2005 10:25 PM
Unless you can get an custom turbo setup done and have good hook ups on parts...the answer is No.

100 HP gain is hard to do on a 4 cylinder motor especially one that comes with only 98 HP to begin with. Even if you do turbo that motor, you better hope that it handles a decent amount of PSI and supply it with enough fuel.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, October 02, 2005 11:25 PM
ok cool, so if you were to do an engine swap, what engine would you swap in this sunbird?
Sunday, October 02, 2005 11:52 PM
Terracne Cooper wrote:ok cool, so if you were to do an engine swap, what engine would you swap in this sunbird?

hmm in a 2nd gen, I would fork out some cash for a 3800 Supercharged motor...you guys have a bigger engine bay than the 3rd gens. If you can't afford it, the V6 motor that's in the 2nd gen Z24s...those must be cheap.

Monday, October 03, 2005 7:44 PM
I would consider turbocharging a 2.0 OHC engine. The factory turbo engine will respond well to boost, and you engine's close to the turbo engine already. The cam from the turbo engine and your engine are extremely similar. The heads are similar. The intakes are extremely similar in design, although the N/A intake and TB flows almost 2x as much air. The turbo exhaust manifold will bolt up. The largest differences appear to be in the pistons and the rods. With $1100, you can probably obtain new pistons and some decent rods, clean up the head, buy a replacement turbo manifold and a turbo, get some good used injectors and pcm, and have a runner. If you're budget minded you can probably do this and still have some cash left over. Then again I may be biased because I own a 2.0 OHC turbo.

If you want something really different, swap in a 2.2 Eco engine and control it with OBDI electronics. Add a turbo for some real fun.

-->Slow
Monday, October 03, 2005 7:48 PM
slowolej wrote:I would consider turbocharging a 2.0 OHC engine. The factory turbo engine will respond well to boost, and you engine's close to the turbo engine already.

And word has it that the 2.0L OHC Turbo Sunbird was the fastest car ever known to man.

Monday, October 03, 2005 8:15 PM
slowolej wrote:I would consider turbocharging a 2.0 OHC engine. The factory turbo engine will respond well to boost, and you engine's close to the turbo engine already. The cam from the turbo engine and your engine are extremely similar. The heads are similar. The intakes are extremely similar in design, although the N/A intake and TB flows almost 2x as much air. The turbo exhaust manifold will bolt up. The largest differences appear to be in the pistons and the rods. With $1100, you can probably obtain new pistons and some decent rods, clean up the head, buy a replacement turbo manifold and a turbo, get some good used injectors and pcm, and have a runner. If you're budget minded you can probably do this and still have some cash left over. Then again I may be biased because I own a 2.0 OHC turbo.

If you want something really different, swap in a 2.2 Eco engine and control it with OBDI electronics. Add a turbo for some real fun.

-->Slow

Well that sounds fine but we don't know how many miles this engine has. If it's a high mileage motor, I wouldn't do it...

Also, I don't think you can use an OBDI computer with an ECOTEC otherwise there would be an epidemic of people doing that.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 1:36 PM
NJHK (Sexual Chocolate) wrote:Also, I don't think you can use an OBDI computer with an ECOTEC otherwise there would be an epidemic of people doing that.

Thats because everyone believes the mis-information put out by tons of morons (not saying you are here )

The engine has absolutely no clue what type of computer (or if there is even a computer at all). Sensors are the only difference between a computer controlled and non-computer controlled engine (remember the Bosch mecahnical fuel injection units?). I guarantee the ECOTEC will run with an OBD1 ECM. In fact, its in my plans for the future.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 5:33 PM
I would go with the 2.0 turbo, but I would just go find a 2.0 turbo car at a salvage yard and pull everything and rebuild that motor. That really shouldn't run you much more at about then a grand 1200 at the most, at least that what it would run you here in KC (at reputable shops) which would include replacing the stock interanals boiling the block along with a clean out bore, and reconditioning the head. That there will get you a good running 160+ hp car. Then save a few bucks intercool it get a boost controler and maybe a larger turbo, and some sort of fuel management to get some more juice the motor for when you up the boost. you CAN get do this for under 2k and have it be reliable if you take your time and shop around and find a good donor car.

Later
Skinny J

Tara, I will love and miss you forever, you will never be forgotten
http://tara-nagel.memory-of.com/

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 6:03 PM
James Cahill wrote:
NJHK (Sexual Chocolate) wrote:Also, I don't think you can use an OBDI computer with an ECOTEC otherwise there would be an epidemic of people doing that.

Thats because everyone believes the mis-information put out by tons of morons (not saying you are here )

The engine has absolutely no clue what type of computer (or if there is even a computer at all). Sensors are the only difference between a computer controlled and non-computer controlled engine (remember the Bosch mecahnical fuel injection units?). I guarantee the ECOTEC will run with an OBD1 ECM. In fact, its in my plans for the future.

That sounds interesting but what sensors would be getting the lack of support from the ECM?

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 8:21 PM
Quote:

I guarantee the ECOTEC will run with an OBD1 ECM. In fact, its in my plans for the future.

Nice to see someone ahead of the curve.

Quote:

That sounds interesting but what sensors would be getting the lack of support from the ECM?

The major change with the Ecotec engine is in the ignition system. But it looks like the system from the 99 Saturn engine will work on the 2.2 J car engine to provide the signals required by an OBDI ecm. Other than that, you need basic coolant temp, intake air temp, MAP, and TPS signals. There might be a trick to finding an auto trans to fit the Eco and work with the OBDI ecm, but a manual trans wouldn't care what type of ecm it's connected to. After that, it's tune, tune, tune.

And back to the original question,

Quote:

Well that sounds fine but we don't know how many miles this engine has. If it's a high mileage motor, I wouldn't do it...

That's true. I forget that people don't know to check for worn cylinder bores, bad cam lobes, and whatnot. A higher mileage engine will probably require more cash for additional machine work such as boring the cylinders and truing the head deck surface. It may not be a large amount of money but it will cut into the budget some.

hth
-->Slow

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 1:51 AM
aight cool, so which would realisticly be the faster car? The turbo 2.0L (160hp) or say a 3.4L (180hp w/ more torque)? my reason for asking is because I know there would be a weight issue with say a 3.4L or supercharged 3.8L as opposed to the lighter 2.0L.
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 8:14 AM
find jordan kruger on the j-body versus forum, and offer him 20 dollars for his turbo sunbird, then buy a bigger turbo u will save yourself a bundle

Sorry...
You have been banned from posting on this site as of 2005-09-21

00:33:32. This ban will expire 2005-09-28 00:33:32 Pacific Time.
Reason: Comments over the top regarding Jordan Kruger and other members in Versus. Also, if you have a problem with a member e-mailing you, do not bring it into the forums.

If you believe this to be in error, please contact us.
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 5:47 PM
ok thats not the answer I was looking for at all. And someone told me the Jordan Kruger thing is a joke. So really:

Does anyone else have a real answer to my question:

Which would make the faster car, putting the 2.0L turbo in, or maybe a 3.4L or 3.8L(L67) with their weight issues?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search