Dry Ice and intake - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Dry Ice and intake
Saturday, October 01, 2005 9:35 PM
Im not starting this theory, so to speak, but i did a search and i found some posts but they were way back in 2003. I was just wondering if anybody has done some more testing on the whole dry ice around the intake or whatever...or if some1 thought of another alternative...and how much of an increase gain was there?
and i guess since we are on the subject, any tests with the intercooler as well?

...are you trolls that dumb that you cant realize mid 15s is slower then 14s?

Re: Dry Ice and intake
Saturday, October 01, 2005 9:46 PM
listening

Saturday, October 01, 2005 9:54 PM
From what I've heard, no difference.

But I have no facts on my side.

Saturday, October 01, 2005 9:57 PM
the way that i have seen it done is the air comes into the intake and through the box of dry ice and into the turbo charger. this has given some impressive horsepower but your engine needs to bepretty built to handle it.

Saturday, October 01, 2005 10:08 PM
a friend of mine has a wrx and wraps dry ice around his intercooler when he goes out racing. but recently coverented to water injection by sprying jsut cold water onto the intercooler.

Saturday, October 01, 2005 10:41 PM
i would think that if you did it to just the intake on a na car it would give little to no affect. Do to the fact thtat the air simply rushs in the motor too fast not having enough time to lower in temperaturre.

Saturday, October 01, 2005 10:47 PM
Fatalic CAVI wrote:i would think that if you did it to just the intake on a na car it would give little to no affect. Do to the fact thtat the air simply rushs in the motor too fast not having enough time to lower in temperaturre.
By that theory, a turbocharged/supercharged car would have even less of a performance gain.

Sunday, October 02, 2005 8:34 AM
Well i figured that if the air around the dry ice is significantly colder than just the air on a normal intake, by the time the colder air heated up because of the engine it would still be a lot colder than with out the dry ice...that is why i thought of the intercooler as well.

this is prolly dumb...and i know that liquid nitrogen freezes things on contact and what not...but what if you somehow used liquid nitrogen on your intercooler to make that air extremely cold? but that would probably make the IC worthless...?

...are you trolls that dumb that you cant realize mid 15s is slower then 14s?
Sunday, October 02, 2005 9:32 AM
packing dry ice around the gm sc might be a good idea. but on a na car it wouldn't be much different than driving on a cool day. simple way to test it would be on a dyno. probably be more problematic to do it at the track because the car is moving

14.82 @ 97 mph
Sunday, October 02, 2005 9:44 AM
Icing the intake manifold is not a new theory at all. People have been doing at the track for ages. It most definately does have its benefits, but it's not something easily done on the street.
Sunday, October 02, 2005 5:14 PM
Todds right in between runs at the track you dump ice or dry ice all over the intake to help cool off the intake and the carb. as to get rid of any heet soak they may experence while waiting for the next run. I've seen guys with front mounts have little trays or ledges on them so they can leave the dry ice on the intercooler even during runs this in turn cools the intercooler and drops the intake charge temp even lower. As you all know more air, more cool air = more horsepower.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search