2.4 engine buildup any input? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4 engine buildup any input?
Friday, September 30, 2005 6:31 PM
Hello everyone I'm new to the 4 cyl scene as gas prices have forced me to rethink my daily driver. I am in the planning stages of an engine buildup of a 2.4 twin cam ( I got the engine from a friend for $50) and come tax return time I'm going to get a 2000 or 2001 Z24 5spd. Anyway I've already decided to get the Eagle H beam rods, custom forged pistons, hellfire rings, 2.3 H.O. head & intake, cams (not sure which ones) need help here, custom turbo header, 60-1 turbo & front mount IC,lightened billet fw, under drive pulley etc. I need help with cams & drives, engine managment ( does anyone offer a pcm reflash or programmer) and a forged crank. Would this combo be capable of making 450 - 550 whp? I'd like to build something similar to the 625 whp 96 Sunbird I saw in the May 2003 Hotrod magazine. Well how much whp is needed to push a full weight Z24 mid - low 11's? Any and all suggestions, changes pros & cons are welcome and thanks in advance for all help you guys can give.

Re: 2.4 engine buildup any input?
Friday, September 30, 2005 8:53 PM
remove the balance shafts while you're at it.

Saturday, October 01, 2005 9:34 AM
Oh did I leave that out, I read an article in Kitcar by Mark McPhail which outlined how to combine the best from both engines to make a monster.
Saturday, October 01, 2005 9:40 AM
you need to read a little more posts on this site. try seaching some of your questions

View my MySpace
Saturday, October 01, 2005 9:49 AM
Ok thanks Firebug I'll do that, however I did some searches (forged cranks) and came up empty that's why I asked but I'll try searches first then ask questions if no results from search.
Sunday, October 02, 2005 12:30 PM
Ok stay away from the 2.3 head, it's bad news. A straight t3 is tooo small, go to a nice t3/04 turbo. Take out the balance shafts, have the stock forged crank cryo'd, run a set of the secret cams, you will be able to use the GM Super charger program reflash to set a base map for boost. Get an full MSD setup, properly sized injectors for you power level, and a apex'i s-afc to better fine tune the gm map ( as it has some flat spots). Low 11's are not gonna happen more than likely... you will probably if the car is tuned right be able to hit low 12's. I would also choose total seal rings. Weld a new flange onto a 2.3 ho manifold, and while your at it, have it extrude honed for flow. Also I would invest in a cryo'd tranny and either a quaife or phantom grip so you put more power to the ground. Also suspension is big factor in getting all this power to the ground. Lot's of factors, but seems like you have a good start. Just a fore warning.... just because it has four cylinders, won't mean it gets good gas mileage.... if you havea 450 hp car and drive it hard..... you will NOT be getting good gas mileage.

This months projects: Completion and Installation of Homemade Turbo System, Brakes, Fiberglass sparetire enlcosure and amp rack.
Sunday, October 02, 2005 2:45 PM
What's wrong with the 2.3 HO head from what I've read stock it will out flow a fully ported 2.4 head, also will the GM supercharger reflash work with the w-41 cams as well?
And from the research I've done the 2.4 has a nodular iron crank not a forged one, the Ecotec's have a forged crank I believe in the Cobalt SS.
Sunday, October 02, 2005 7:20 PM
W41 cams don't work with a 2.4. Even with an OBDI ecm. Karo had them and ran some weird hp/tq number.

You don't need a forged crank. there's no need to cryo the crank.

Quote:

Ok stay away from the 2.3 head, it's bad news

That's an ignorant comment.

The 2.3 head is good as long as you keep it cool. The only problem is that it make the compression go up to 11.4:1 with the stock 96-99 pistons. So you need to calculate what kind of dish you need on your new pistons.

The 2.4 head has 61cc combustion chamber.
The 2.3 head has 48 cc combustion chamber.

A T3 super 60 is good enough to start with. Before he even get to 300, he has alot of research and testing to do . He can't just put things tgogether and expect to run 500-600bhp.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Sunday, October 02, 2005 8:25 PM
Mfk-223 wrote:W41 cams don't work with a 2.4. Even with an OBDI ecm. Karo had them and ran some weird hp/tq number.

You don't need a forged crank. there's no need to cryo the crank.

Quote:

Ok stay away from the 2.3 head, it's bad news

That's an ignorant comment.

The 2.3 head is good as long as you keep it cool. The only problem is that it make the compression go up to 11.4:1 with the stock 96-99 pistons. So you need to calculate what kind of dish you need on your new pistons.

The 2.4 head has 61cc combustion chamber.
The 2.3 head has 48 cc combustion chamber.

A T3 super 60 is good enough to start with. Before he even get to 300, he has alot of research and testing to do . He can't just put things tgogether and expect to run 500-600bhp.

^^ he's absolutely right. the 086 HO head is an awesome head, but when your compression raises up that high... knowing a lot about combustion chamber cc's and dish pistons will help you save your motor.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Monday, October 03, 2005 5:09 PM
Thanks everyone for the excellent input and for the record I am familiar with engine building, I currently have an all forged 750 hp pump gas 383 with AFR 220's and an intercooled procharger in my Monte Carlo and an SB 2.2 headed all forged 420 with twin T-76's going together for my Camaro street racer. I'm just not familiar with what parts will or won't work together on the 2.4 as I've never built one before.
Thursday, October 06, 2005 4:34 PM
I didn't say it was bad.... just if you don't know a lot about quads, it's gonna be a major head ache. The Hybrid quad is the lethal combination of power and headaches.... Just take careful precautions when building one.... I've seen several go bad. More or less... from what I've learned make sure your machine shop is good, cuz that's where all my friends ran into problems. Best of luck on your quest! I'm soon to be on to a new project myself....

00 S-10 X-cab with a 2.8L turbo diesel swap.... can't wait till the front clip gets here!

This months projects: Completion and Installation of Homemade Turbo System, Brakes, Fiberglass sparetire enlcosure and amp rack.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search