mandrel bent piping question - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
mandrel bent piping question
Friday, September 30, 2005 4:25 PM
Is there a big difference going from stock to mandrel bent 2.25" piping instead of going with 2.25" piping that is not mandrel bent?

Re: mandrel bent piping question
Friday, September 30, 2005 4:35 PM
From what Rob from Extreme Muffler told me was that mandrel bent pipes only make a diff if no cat is needed. That as soon as you run a cat any gains from mandrel bending is blown away completely.

Now I'm sure you'll get other answers but my sorce has been doing custom and hi-performance exhaust systems for well over 20 years so hes what I'd call an expert.
Yes he also builds his own cars so he does know about them.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Friday, September 30, 2005 4:39 PM
thanx for the prompt response man
Friday, September 30, 2005 4:55 PM
No prob. So what way are you thinking of going? 2 1/4 or 2 1/2.

Friday, September 30, 2005 5:03 PM
i am leaning towards 2.5
Friday, September 30, 2005 6:08 PM
You stayin n/a? or gonna boost it? I'm thinkin of the G.M. blower so I'm going with 3 inch myself.

Saturday, October 01, 2005 4:17 PM
jackalope ( a.k.a. the prick ) wrote:You stayin n/a? or gonna boost it? I'm thinkin of the G.M. blower so I'm going with 3 inch myself.

that's pretty big unless you intend on making over 275 whp. Which... I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Best of luck in your project. For an n/a application you want to stick with 2.25 piping with a cat. If you go boost, you really want to move up to 2.5 (no cat is best if you can get away with it) and if you run more than about 8 to 10 psi then I'd move up to 3" piping... with no cat. If you try to run 2.5 or say 3" piping without boost, say goodye to your low end torque and say hello to obnoxious loud raspy noises.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Saturday, October 01, 2005 4:23 PM
Oh god I wish I could hit 275 but I'm realistic and I seriously doubt I will. But 225 isn't too far of a strech. I know 3 inch MAY be a little over kill but I had it on my last car and loved the deep throty sound it gives. I figure between the blower and some cams it'll sound like a baby 350 Anyway thats what I'm shootin for. And thanks for the support

Saturday, October 01, 2005 6:21 PM
jackalope ( a.k.a. the prick ) wrote:Oh god I wish I could hit 275 but I'm realistic and I seriously doubt I will. But 225 isn't too far of a strech. I know 3 inch MAY be a little over kill but I had it on my last car and loved the deep throty sound it gives. I figure between the blower and some cams it'll sound like a baby 350 Anyway thats what I'm shootin for. And thanks for the support

you can get that deep throaty sound by having cams, a 2.5" exhaust with a resonator and no cat...

Saturday, October 01, 2005 6:28 PM
Unfortunatly I need the cat so oh well.

Saturday, October 01, 2005 6:30 PM
jackalope ( a.k.a. the prick ) wrote:Unfortunatly I need the cat so oh well.

Do they really check in your neck of the woods? Here they just check to make sure the doesn't throw codes. Thank god for O2 Sim's!

Saturday, October 01, 2005 6:32 PM
Yup. Mirror on a stick, Damn emisions ! Damn, damn, damn, damn, damn !!!! This is another reason for thinking 3 inch may be better once I boost it.

Sunday, October 02, 2005 1:09 AM
jackalope ( a.k.a. the prick ) wrote:Yup. Mirror on a stick, Damn emisions ! Damn, damn, damn, damn, damn !!!! This is another reason for thinking 3 inch may be better once I boost it.

So they will let you have boost and a 3" exhaust on a four cylinder... as long as it has a damn cat....

Sunday, October 02, 2005 5:08 PM
Yeah you can do anything you want here as long as #1 You keep your cat & #2 do not
tamper with ant other emision stuff. Cats are the biggie here tho as they really don't know what each and everycar actualy rolled off the line with. Actualy I just picked up a
2 1/2 inch Magna Flow high flow cat for a whole $40.00 brand new still in the box so it looks like I'll be going with 2 1/2 anyway. But what do you guys think about no resanator? Will that give it the angry bumble bee sound that I dread so much?

Sunday, October 02, 2005 6:54 PM
probably. I don't see any reason NOT to buy a resonator

15.891 @ 88 mph stock, still getting @!#$ty launches...
Sunday, October 02, 2005 7:01 PM
Summit carries the Thrush Magnum Glasspacks for $21.88(+S&H) for the 28" long one. It will work as good as any resonator. It has the 2 1/2" perforated core, so you won't lose any power and will quiet you down real well.

Sunday, October 02, 2005 8:23 PM
without a resonator, it will most likely sound like a combination of a dumptruck and a waterbong

Monday, October 03, 2005 5:19 AM
Well resonater it is then. I'll let you guys know how it turns out thanks

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search