Built head or nitrous.......?? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Built head or nitrous.......??
Friday, September 30, 2005 7:19 AM
Ok, so i'm nearing completion with all the bolt-on stuff and need some help deciding whether to go nitrous or build the head.

There's a local place around here selling a NOS direct port nitrous setup for $500 and then another $300 for the install (never messed with nitrous before and direct port sounds fairly complicated). Then I'll also get the purge kit and bottle heater, that's another $250 right there for the two. I'll also need a nitrous gauge which seem to run around $75. Then to keep things safe, larger fuel pump and a wideband.

Or I could build up the head with cam, roller rockers, better springs, new pushrods, 1mm oversized valves and get a street/strip p&p with a 5 angle valve job done for right around the same price as the nitrous setup. I believe the head work would give me roughly 50-60 hp.

I more than likely wouldn't run anything more than a 75 shot with the nitrous, but then it's expensive to fill the bottle up everytime, and I tend to have a heavy foot . Just not sure which route I want to go and really can't make up my mind either. Any opinions or input would be awesome.

Re: Built head or nitrous.......??
Friday, September 30, 2005 7:27 AM
go with the built head / cam, and add nitrous in the future. might wanna add in the price of an s-afc controller and a tuning session to maximize your gains. i think youll like the all-time power gain as opposed to nitrous, which just be race time only stuff. just my 2 cents...

...don't hate!.. respect people that have talent, even if it is in something you don't like or understand.
Friday, September 30, 2005 6:03 PM
i like the built head/ cam idea.

MY 2003 SUNFIRE

"A N/A ecotec is not gonna give Honda's and Mitsu's that much of a run for their
money unless their blown or bottle fed.GM is still smokin crack!"
~1QWKZ24
www.streetracing.org, 08/2001
Friday, September 30, 2005 8:09 PM
first of all I dought your geting 50-60 HP form a 2.2 just doign the head and cam, you will get nowhere near that.

Second of all anyone selling a full direct port nitrous kit for that price is either stupid or selling garbage, a single foger NX wet goes for like $550, and dircet port is considerably more expensive

Saturday, October 01, 2005 6:53 AM
I know it's not exact on the head, but just going by what the sites say, the 1.6 rockers should net 10hp, cam approx. 15-20, and head porting around 15-20.

The nitrous is NOS brand and he said it was a NOPI special when they were in town here a couple weeks back.
Saturday, October 01, 2005 7:12 AM
....nah, I can beleive 500.00 for a nos direct port setup. sometimes, companies (all types, not just autos) have serious overstock on older merchandise. everyone saw the guys post about 19 inch centerline forged excels for 100 bucks each, right? that is the most insane price.

and im gonna go with darkstars a bit on the head/cam set up...i wont net that much. maybe 35-40 ish whp, my best guess. proper tuning may give ya 5 more. still that is a 35 perecnt increase (give or take) on your 2.2, itll feel like boost.

...don't hate!.. respect people that have talent, even if it is in something you don't like or understand.
Saturday, October 01, 2005 7:36 AM
Quote:

maybe 35-40 ish whp

I wasn't even thinking whp, I was thinking of only power to the flywheel. If I can get 35-40 to the wheels from that work, it'll definitely be worth it I suppose over the nitrous. Or hell, might as well save up 3 grand and get it all done in one swoop!

But in all honestly, I think I'm going to go for the head work first, hopin' to be the fastest n/a 2.2 OHV on the org, we'll see!
Saturday, October 01, 2005 7:44 AM
heads are where the powers at. if the guy doesnt use a flow bench then any claims he has are pure speculation. (unless hes willing to get you a dyno run) hes claiming a big jump. beware. i'd hate to see you get a scrap head for your $$.
Saturday, October 01, 2005 8:16 AM
Direct port is a waste of time if you're plannning on only running a 75 hp shot... it's worthwhile for, say, 125+ shots... useless on a stock motor.

Stick with dry or even wet nitrous for now... if you go that route at all. I'd go with the head work personally... you only need to refill the gas tank, not the nitrous bottle

Saturday, October 01, 2005 9:20 AM
^^^^^^ agreed. with all the major bolt ons, plus the cam and fully built head work, you should see 150whp, at the absolute least. add a dry kit, say 50 shot, you got 200whp, probably over that in torque. do some tranny work, sticky tires, lighten the car a bit, you got a quick quick ln2.

coincidently, these are the same plans i have, but im working in cosmetic stuff right now...interior, exterior...then gonna tackle the motor.

good luck!

Saturday, October 01, 2005 9:47 AM
thanks soul horse, once I get the bolt-ons finished i'm gonna go dyno the car, then after I get the head work done I'll dyno it again and post my results. Here's the list of things I'm going to have before the headwork,

Intake, pacesetter 4-1 header, catco 2 1/4 cat, custom bent 2 1/4 exhaust, upper and lower mounts, alt & crank pulley, performance clutch and lightweight flywheel plus a slightly ported and polished IM and TB. I'm hoping that will net me 140-150 at the wheels, but i'm probably hoping for too much, lol.

Saturday, October 01, 2005 11:52 AM
i have the exact same set-up as the above listed, my friend. Check my profile...get a set of lightweight 15's and some drag radials, you'll put down some nice numbers, my friend. good luck.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search