all motor ecotec, would this get me in the 14's? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
all motor ecotec, would this get me in the 14's?
Thursday, September 29, 2005 6:55 PM
hey i have another sunfire which is motorless and i wanna build a 2.2 eco motor for it and put it in, do you think with that i have setup i will be in the 14's with all motor? thanks

10:1 cr pistons
rods
p & p head
full exhaust
pulleys
intake

also if not, what would make me hit good 14's with all motor?

Re: all motor ecotec, would this get me in the 14'
Thursday, September 29, 2005 7:06 PM
isn't the factory pistons 10:1? no need to go forged for an all motor car aiming for 14's with a 5-speed you can do it with just bolt ons

Thursday, September 29, 2005 7:16 PM
I did 15.13 with Cold Air, header, hi flow cat, catback... exhaust 2.25" all the way.. So a better driver with good conditions can do high 14 with some more mods...

Thursday, September 29, 2005 7:23 PM
Slicks, bolt ons, and maybe clutch, lsd. + weight reduction= 14's

Borsty wrote:Bio:------------- i work at ups lifting heavy @!#$ ill day, and i rip phonebooks in half

Thursday, September 29, 2005 7:35 PM
are you serious?? anyone whos putting slicks on a car to try to break into the 14's is either stupid, or has money to waste

Thursday, September 29, 2005 7:42 PM
Darkstars wrote:are you serious?? anyone whos putting slicks on a car to try to break into the 14's is either stupid, or has money to waste

It would be less expensive to buy slick than drop rods, pistons, and built upper end in it.
I guess you could do the same with drag radials.

Borsty wrote:Bio:------------- i work at ups lifting heavy @!#$ ill day, and i rip phonebooks in half

Thursday, September 29, 2005 9:02 PM
yes, the stock compression ratio on the 2.2 eco is 10:1
assuming that the transmission is manual, the rest of that list should get you into the high 14s... never any guarantees though. too many other variables.

Thursday, September 29, 2005 9:10 PM
no use getting new pistons or rods unless you can find higher compression (is that even possible without custom machined pistons?). The stock pistons are good to WELL over 250hp... you wont be making that much if you just want 14s.

Thursday, September 29, 2005 9:20 PM
The cheapest way to get there would be to strip interior items. Spare tire, back seats, and carpet. Slicks, you do not need. You need something more like drag radials. You need power to move with slicks. With that you have listed and the items above, you will get a good 14.5-14.9 pass.
Thursday, September 29, 2005 9:21 PM
If you can do it with i/e/h/tb and tires...... sell your car

Thursday, September 29, 2005 9:40 PM
Darkstars wrote:isn't the factory pistons 10:1? no need to go forged for an all motor car aiming for 14's with a 5-speed you can do it with just bolt ons

Correct, stock CR is 10:1...so if you're aiming for bigger power you should raise it to 10.5:1 or possibly 11:1.

Please check the ECOTEC Build Guide sticky for parts listed for the motor.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Friday, September 30, 2005 12:38 AM
its all about traction man. that 60ft can either be ur best friend or ur worst enemy.u get traction then u might be able to. i ran a 15.6@ 86 with 2.4 60ft...1 i suck at launching at the track and 2 i have almost no tread left on my tires. will try to make another run with new tires on.

MY 2003 SUNFIRE

"A N/A ecotec is not gonna give Honda's and Mitsu's that much of a run for their
money unless their blown or bottle fed.GM is still smokin crack!"
~1QWKZ24
www.streetracing.org, 08/2001
Friday, September 30, 2005 6:47 AM
as said about 4 times above. bolt ons should get you there. I have intake, header, 2.25" exhaust with high flow cat, motor mounts, and B&M short shifter.

So far I have only managed a 15.6, with a 2.3 60'. If i can get my 60' time down, I should see low 15s. I am trapping at around 88-90 mph and I have seen people run faster times at a lower trap speed (not sure if that really means anything).

I would say my mods coupled with a TB, pulley, and control arm bushings (for wheel hop), should get me pretty close assuming I an get my launches right. If not, cams should definitely put me there.

Friday, September 30, 2005 8:23 AM
bolt ons + sticky tires + lose as much weight as possible = 14s.

I bet if HP tuners was available for our cars already, it'd be damn easy to make a mid 14sec ride for under $3k.

Friday, September 30, 2005 9:49 AM
MSD advance the timing a bit

2006 Black Cobalt SS Supercharged G85
13.91@102.77
Friday, September 30, 2005 10:05 AM
needing slicks to get into the 14s is certainly something that is possible im actually slower now at the strip because i cannot control the wheelspin the more i mod the worse it gets

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Friday, September 30, 2005 10:14 AM
Ummm, I've always been under the impression that MSD could only retard timing...

Yeah, I picked up 2-3 tenths with my Hankook RS-2s... and I'm still spinning them.

Friday, September 30, 2005 10:46 AM
Rodimus Prime wrote:needing slicks to get into the 14s is certainly something that is possible im actually slower now at the strip because i cannot control the wheelspin the more i mod the worse it gets

it a completely different story when you have a decently modded car and your only running slow because of traction then its understandable, I remeber seeing a FWD talon at the track running a 13.8 @135 mph, somethign liek that yes slicks are needed..... when your aiming to break into 14's running all motor slicks are a waste of money

Friday, September 30, 2005 8:23 PM
-JaysonZ24- wrote:MSD advance the timing a bit

Did this once before and the guy got pissed, but....

RETARD...

...Only with msd.

Friday, September 30, 2005 11:33 PM
I ran a 15.6 with a 2.212 60'

see ya!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search