OBX header - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
OBX header
Sunday, September 25, 2005 9:00 PM
Hey, I've got a quick question...I ordered an obx header for my 2.4l and i'm wanting to buy a megan cat-back so, what would i need to hook all this up? Would all i need is a cat and get that welded on? or is the cat back and header a direct bolt-up? also, how much more horses should i expect from this?

NEW SIG COMING SOON FOR 07'!!!

Re: OBX header
Sunday, September 25, 2005 9:02 PM
dyno before and after if you wanna know what to expect power wise, theres no real way anyone here can factor in the wear and tear on your car, each car is different and anything said can be the honest farthest from the truth. theres only one real way to know.

get the header, the catback and a cat (magnaflow94035) and take it to a shop and get it welded on, thats all you should need short of a resonator.

Sunday, September 25, 2005 9:04 PM
They are both designed to bolt up to the opposite end of your factory exhaust. As in, the header is designed to bolt up to the factory cat and catback, and the Megan Racing catback is designed to bolt up to the factory B pipe and cat. Get that all installed and bolted up, and then buy a high flow cat, take it somewhere and have it installed. They might end up moving your cat and welding it in place, depending on the size difference. For example, my Magnaflow high flow was much shorter and of course didn't come with flanges on it, so they hacked off some of the B pipe, welded it in place a little further upstream, and built my catback following it. There's no telling much much power exactly you will gain. The only way to tell is to dyno before and after. However, you will DEFINITELY notice a difference.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Monday, September 26, 2005 12:09 PM
The OBX header is NOT a bolton, it requires welding.

Throw the header on, cut off the stock crap and cruise open headered to the exhaust shop and they'll hook you up.

Monday, September 26, 2005 1:13 PM
Owen Stampflee wrote:The OBX header is NOT a bolton, it requires welding.

Throw the header on, cut off the stock crap and cruise open headered to the exhaust shop and they'll hook you up.

it was on my car...

Monday, September 26, 2005 3:45 PM
And you have a 2.2 The 2.4 header is the same as the pacesetter... just a plain ol pipe coming out the back.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 12:59 PM
hey bud,
I ahve a98' sunfire gt, 2.4L, have the weapon r intake, obx 4-1 header, 2 1/2" high flow cat, and the rksport dual cat back system..........the header bolts up perfectly to the motor, but then , yes you have to weld the cat in, and then weld the cat back system to the cat...I have a sound clip vid if you'd like, email me at (powder_riding2002@yahoo.ca) and i can send you it if you'd like.......I need a resonator for it. My problem is i can't find anywhere to get the part number for magnaflow. So if anyone know the part # for an 18" resonator, please let me know, good luck with your decisions..........blksunfir
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 3:47 PM
Why do you need a resonator, i dont have one on my 2.2 98 sunfire sedan, should i have one?

98 j-body sedan

Thursday, September 29, 2005 10:44 AM
it's for the sound.........while the cat and pipes are cold, the sound is raspy and kinda civic-ish..the resonator should take out the high pitch and give it a more throaty deeper tone..I just don't know the part number.........blkisunfir
Thursday, September 29, 2005 11:10 AM
Kyle Anderson wrote:it's for the sound.........while the cat and pipes are cold, the sound is raspy and kinda civic-ish..the resonator should take out the high pitch and give it a more throaty deeper tone..I just don't know the part number.........blkisunfir

It's not civic-ish...

it's all 4 bangers... it will sound that way.........

"Silver 2001 Cavalier z24 5 speed 2 door sunroof and power everything "

AEM Short Ram Intake
B&M Short Throw Shifter
Thursday, September 29, 2005 11:28 AM
Well the sound is most comparable to a Civic because there are 10x more raspy ricemachine civics running around than anything else. Want to hear what your exhaust will sound like without a resonator? Find a civic with a can

Thursday, September 29, 2005 11:30 AM
not ALL 4 bangers....no matter what you do, NOTHING will ever sound like a subie

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

i had lots of toys when i was young.slinky,etc.but once i found my penis,that was all she wrote
Thursday, September 29, 2005 11:31 AM
1Bad02Cav wrote:not ALL 4 bangers....no matter what you do, NOTHING will ever sound like a subie

not true. my car sounds like a subaru right now becuase my spark plugs are shot to @!#$ and my ignition coils are grounded to the block. that's why i've got MSD coils, new wires, and new plugs going on tomorrow

Thursday, September 29, 2005 5:50 PM
OK THEN! ass bag, just shut me down! lol... let me correct that, no one will get the subaru growl by doing things to the car that ARENT negative happy? lol

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

i had lots of toys when i was young.slinky,etc.but once i found my penis,that was all she wrote
Friday, September 30, 2005 10:50 AM
Spotabee Racing wrote:Want to hear what your exhaust will sound like without a resonator? Find a civic with a can

i'll try to get a soung clip soon of my exhaust...no resonator...and by no means does it sound like a civic...the obx 4-2-1 header to magnaflow high flow cat(94035) to 2.5" vibrant exhaust. You would think it would be raspy, and i thought too, but i listened to jim at gravana and tell you what...it sounds better then most and i get positive comments on it all the time.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search