Motor Swap Sticky? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Motor Swap Sticky?
Saturday, September 24, 2005 12:43 PM
Just out of curiosity. Why is it that no one ever made a sticky on how to do it properly? The question of "How do i swap" come up all the time. I just want to know how to do it properly and there is no real place that gives you a step by step. Or did i just miss something all the times i've been on this site?

Just saying it would be nice.. HINT.... HINT.....

Re: Motor Swap Sticky?
Saturday, September 24, 2005 2:53 PM

I agree, i think a sticky with the possible engine swaps and either pics on the page or links to the pics (make it 56k acceptable) would help a lot of people who have swapping in their minds. I know myself I would appreciate said information.
Saturday, September 24, 2005 4:01 PM
would make sense, wouldn't it?

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Saturday, September 24, 2005 9:03 PM
i guess no one wnats to take the time to make one

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, September 25, 2005 1:34 AM
stroke dave's ego

that usually works for a sticky

Sunday, September 25, 2005 5:11 AM
keep the 2.2

I'll have a sig someday....................
Sunday, September 25, 2005 10:31 AM
suncavi and a few others made one...

also there is a search button where you can find it with...

sad part is, sticky or not people who dont use the common sense to read em will still ask...

its the same as the questions like, "where do i buy an intake at" or "what parts can i get for my car and where"

all of this is actually answered in the sticky at the top, but for some reason we have alot of dull people who post before they bother to simply read....

so even if there was a sticky on it, you;re still gonna see the same question over and over again.

Sunday, September 25, 2005 11:04 AM
Dirty Muffins (Event) wrote:
so even if there was a sticky on it, you;re still gonna see the same question over and over again.

sad but true

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Sunday, September 25, 2005 11:06 AM
very true

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, September 25, 2005 2:07 PM
Quote:

I aggree and disagree... If we do have a sticky on engine replacements Yeah you might see the occasional people asking detailed questions about it in a seperate thread.... BUT.. it will cut down TREMENDOUSLY ON THE SUBJECT...

Most people are not to mechanically inclined and you will always have questions stupid or not, about engines/engine replacements. I definatlly agree with sunfire aray and hope someone could create a helpfull informational sticky about optional engine replacements and a basic how to guide.

I myself am looking to do engine swap but when searching the .org its hard to find helpfull information to help point you in the right direction. Kinda overwhelming when you dont even know where to start... 2.2., non 2200, 2.4, ecotec, 3.1, 3800. I myself am found wondering what will be the best engine for my 97 cavy... I dont wanna spend all winter on the motor swap, but i want decent horse power.. Still doing research so IDK... it just would help if someone with mechanical intellegince that has maybe already done it before give some of us newbies a how to/ "best of"guide.

Thanks,

Derrick Hudson

Sunday, September 25, 2005 3:20 PM
TwiZtiD CaVy wrote:
Quote:

I aggree and disagree... If we do have a sticky on engine replacements Yeah you might see the occasional people asking detailed questions about it in a seperate thread.... BUT.. it will cut down TREMENDOUSLY ON THE SUBJECT...

Most people are not to mechanically inclined and you will always have questions stupid or not, about engines/engine replacements. I definatlly agree with sunfire aray and hope someone could create a helpfull informational sticky about optional engine replacements and a basic how to guide.

I myself am looking to do engine swap but when searching the .org its hard to find helpfull information to help point you in the right direction. Kinda overwhelming when you dont even know where to start... 2.2., non 2200, 2.4, ecotec, 3.1, 3800. I myself am found wondering what will be the best engine for my 97 cavy... I dont wanna spend all winter on the motor swap, but i want decent horse power.. Still doing research so IDK... it just would help if someone with mechanical intellegince that has maybe already done it before give some of us newbies a how to/ "best of"guide.

Thanks,

Derrick Hudson

3 or 4 people have done more or less a walkthrough on swaps....

suncavi, another previous 2200 owner on the ecotec swap. tech questions the post was full of.

raven did the 3800 i believe and one other person did the 3.1/3/4 hybrid i believe....

lots of tech info, and people can find it if they want...

if you are one of the ones still asking "whats the best engine to swap" then honestly, you should read and understand the FAQ before you do anything else... bottom line.

there isnt a best. the engine you add in will only be as good as you build it before you put it in. as it stands none of the engines that come stock have been maxed out and realistically not many here will ever put forth the effort TO max it out.

and NO, it will not cut down tremedously on the subject..... simply read the forums in a one week period and find out how many people still ask

"whats the best engine swap

whats the best intake

whats the best exhaust"

its been like this for over 5 years....

if there was a best there would already be a post on its the best, the best would be well known cause it would DEF DOMINATE all the rest..... however theres no way to literally say.... this or that is the best...

is the 3.1 or 3.8 better than a ecotec? in stock form it might have more hp, but the ecotec is proven to handle up to 1000hp if you build it right. and it comes stock in some cars...most all cars now... gm has a guide and support for the ecotec, whereas people doing 3.1 swaps and 3.8 swaps have to do alot of custom work, wiring, and fabrication.

its not hard to find info on here, if you arent lazy....

9 times out of 10, by simply finding the people who have done the swap and already made the post on what they did to make the swap, those people will easily say...READ THE POST AND HERES THE LINK TO MY POST...

or you can simply switch the search to search for author, type in their name, set it for all dates, click and read the results per forum, and then switch to archive....

most all the posts are there, the people can still be contacted, but people are too lazy to look for or ask the original poster for the info they posted....and just want a manual on how to do custom stuff.... which kinda defeats the point of DIY most times.

Sunday, September 25, 2005 3:36 PM
prime example....

if someone typed in eco swap the results are http://www.j-body.org/forums/search.php?f=2&search=eco+swap&globalsearch=0&match=1&date=0&threadtype=1&fldsubject=1

#29 of that list is this link...

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=239259&t=239259#239259

an FAQ on ecotec swaps, but the search shows 28 other posts asked, which prob didnt bother to look up the info since they are higher on the list than post 29....

now with ALL DATES being searched all i did was switch it over to ARCHIVE and hit the search button again....

http://www.j-body.org/forums/search.php?f=2&search=eco+swap&globalsearch=0&match=1&date=arch&threadtype=1&fldsubject=1

heres another post from suncavi with alot of Q and A http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=263750&t=263750&arch=1#263750

and yet ANOTHER post thats 3 pages telling you all you need for the swap yet again. http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=271990&t=271990&arch=1#271990

as for those looking for the 3800 SWAP, raven did a whole lotta posts on installs with pics.... http://www.j-body.org/forums/search.php?f=2&search=raven&globalsearch=0&match=1&date=arch&threadtype=1&fldauthor=1

posts 1-5 has alot of good info on his swap WITH PICS for those that dont like to read much....

my point is, when you do search, you WILL find alot of repetitive crap that has been answered over and over and over again.....

however you will find those walk thoughs that people ALREADY have written... its no different than school fellas...

the people that do their homework get the better results in the outcome. the people that are lazy are still lazy at the end, and dont have much to show for it.....

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search