Swapping 2.2 for a 2.4? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Swapping 2.2 for a 2.4?
Wednesday, September 21, 2005 11:23 AM
This has been asked before I'm sure but I cant find it searching....and believe me i have searched over and over. What is all needed and how hard is it to swap a 2.4 into a 2.2 manual setup?

I have a 96 turbo z24 auto but the body is rusty. I have been looking for clean 5spd z24 to easily swap in but they are not that easy to find for cheap. There are tons of 2.2. manual for sale...so how hard and what is needed to put my 2.4 into a 2.2 manual body/shell? Thanks.

"Spent way too much to give up now!!!"

Re: Swapping 2.2 for a 2.4?
Wednesday, September 21, 2005 11:25 AM
Keeping in mind I dont want to weld if I dont have to. Like motor mounts tranny mounts etc...so without welding new mounts is this possible?

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 12:49 PM
Well basically you can need everything out of the donor car...

Motor, Transmission (your tranny won't work with the 2.4), fuel system, ignition system, transmission mounts.

Your lower motor mount and the 2.4 motor mounts are the same.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 4:17 PM
only thing in the fuel system needed is the lines from the rail to the firewall. Basically motor, trans, wiring, pcm, & upper mount. If converting auto to manual or manual to auto you would need to weld in the mount brackets for the trans.
Wednesday, September 21, 2005 7:58 PM
so if I get a 2.2 manual...my 2.4 will basically bolt right up?

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 8:05 PM
NJHK (Sexual Chocolate) wrote: Transmission (your tranny won't work with the 2.4)

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 10:59 PM
the tranny for a 2.2L engine will NOT bolt up to a 2.4L engine. thats basically what they are saying.

to put a 2.4L with z24 tranny into an LS or base model cavvy, you will need to run a few wires and move a few tranny mounts i think, but other then that it should be easily done in a weekend.

but for the price of a new shell, mounts, the labor of having the mounts welded if you arent doing it yourself, and new tranny.....you might as well just buy a z24 already done. then you can have the awesome power windows/locks alloy rims and maybe a sunroof

-Cameron (CaliforniaCavalier)

Girls make me mad and break my heart, but my car is always there for me.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search