rattling from new exhaust. - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
rattling from new exhaust.
Tuesday, September 20, 2005 7:08 PM
I've got an 04 Sunfire. Had the Magnaflow cat- back on and ordered the pacesetter header. Got that installed and now every once in a while when I pull up to a stop sign or go over pumps in the road or when i get somewhere, put it in park, and sit there with the car running every now and then it ratles for a little bit. The sound also seems like it coming from the mid=rear of the car.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Is the piping hitting towards the back of the car. Or does it has something to do with the suspension. Im at a loss. I got under the car the other day and tried to move the exharst but its solid it doesn't move.

I do have upper and lower motor mounts...... Just can't figure out what is doing it.

Any Sugg?

Re: rattling from new exhaust.
Tuesday, September 20, 2005 7:57 PM
If you think its the exhaust my best guess would be see if u can rattle it manually, like u said u did. Maybe its a heat shield? Try to see if u can find something loose under there.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 7:57 PM
could be that the pipe is banging against something or even the catalytic converter's shield. That's what it is on some people's cars.

How well does the bend clear the suspension?

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 8:06 AM
I just had the same problem but solved it. It was the Heat Shield on my car....... I just pulled the heat shield down a little bit and it went away........
Wednesday, September 21, 2005 9:07 AM
make sure the piping isn't rubbing on the rear axle when u sit in it...

Thursday, September 22, 2005 5:45 PM
Yeah I finally had time to check out the problem. I looked from the back of the car forward and noticed that there were some rub marks on the exhaust pipe just about were it would hit the axle. Im not sure what to do with that because I looked at pretty much the whole length of the pipe and it seems to me that its all right about where it should be.

Thats one problem but it still doesn't explain why I get some rattling sometimes when im idleing.

Thanks for the help everyone
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search