An experiment... - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
An experiment...
Monday, September 19, 2005 7:22 PM
Just wondering what you guys thought would be ok for the biggest engine i can put in my 2000 2.4 Z24. I want a @!#$ load of horses, sure the more horses, the heavier the engine, but still... I want to know if i could drop a V8 in there. By the way, I know next to nothing about cars, I just have crazy ideas like this one and want to know if it is possible, and if not, what the biggest engine is I put in there. After that I need room for a supercharger and turbo both, plus a new intake cuz I'm not too crazy over the one I have now. So is it within any realm of possibility to do these mods?

Re: An experiment...
Monday, September 19, 2005 7:25 PM
you mentioned you know next to nothing about cars. im no expert either but i know for sure it will cost alot more than you think it will. A v8 is possible if you have to knowledge and cash to modify the frame and axles. Even if you do know how it will take you quite a long time. youre better off building on what you have. save up and go turbo.

"Youre lucky that 100 shot of nos didnt blow the welds on your intake"
-Vin Diesel
Tuesday, September 20, 2005 2:11 AM
Another big part is finding a drivetrain that would work on a v8 motor to stay FWD considering that most v8s are RWD.

The only people who seriously do this are Pro-Drag racers who have a ton of sponsors, engineers and mechanics.

Now, if you want a lot of power, you can make as much power as you want with your 4 cylinder. People should realize that you can make as much power with your 4 cylinder as you do with an 8 cylinder and more with the power of boost. If you can build a motor correctly, you can build a well maintained and reliably fast 4 cylinder car and for possibly less money.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 6:19 AM
/\ /\ /\ /\ NO way can a 4 cylinder ever make as much or more horsepower to a comprable built V-8. You turbo a V-8 and they make tons of power. A 4 cyl engine has half the pistons theres only so much it can do. No replacement for displacement.
I'm not knocking 4 cyl engines, as I now have one, but the money it cost me to get my
old V-8 making 550 hp and 600 ft lbs of torque is gonna be peanuts compared to getting a 4cyl there.

But deff good luck man I'm still trying to get mine in the 200 hp range. God I can't wait for that G.M. blower kit !!

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 6:24 AM
Just drop a 3800 supercharged engine in there. That'll be more power than you'll ever need in a cavalier.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 7:05 AM
Yes you can in fact put a V8 in your Cavalier if you want to. Just be prepared to drop mega bucks to do it since you have no knowledge of cars. I think the point that NJHK was trying to make is that it would much more cost effective and much less of a headache just using the 4 cyl. I dont think he meant that a 4 cyl. makes as much or less power than a v8 but I do think that if you mod a 4cyl. you can have as much power if not more as an unmodded V8 and I think that was his point. Well anyway if you have the money I say go for it then go race a vette make sure ya get the guys reaction when ya blow his doors off lol.
Tuesday, September 20, 2005 11:40 AM
Michael Woolever wrote:Yes you can in fact put a V8 in your Cavalier if you want to. Just be prepared to drop mega bucks to do it since you have no knowledge of cars. I think the point that NJHK was trying to make is that it would much more cost effective and much less of a headache just using the 4 cyl. I dont think he meant that a 4 cyl. makes as much or less power than a v8 but I do think that if you mod a 4cyl. you can have as much power if not more as an unmodded V8 and I think that was his point. Well anyway if you have the money I say go for it then go race a vette make sure ya get the guys reaction when ya blow his doors off lol.

Exactly my point.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 3:53 PM
Thanks guys, it may take me some time to get the funds, but I know a LOT of mechanics who might just do this to see what would happen, just to do it kind of thing. When I get her completyl suped I'll post pics and video... I should be going to the track for the first time either next week or the week after, I'll see what I can do for pics and post my times. Peace.
Tuesday, September 20, 2005 4:51 PM
I know a kid haves a 3800 supercharger in a beretta that haves 600hp on it

Go Check Out My Z26 Message Board @ http://v6z26.proboards12.com/index.cgi and tell me what you think Thanks
Tuesday, September 20, 2005 5:14 PM
Drop in a 32 Valve V-8 Northstar from an STS in it. Then build it for turbo. That would be about the sickest possible V-8 swap that could be FWD.

I'll have a sig someday....................
Tuesday, September 20, 2005 5:30 PM
2000 Z24 Cavy wrote:Thanks guys, it may take me some time to get the funds, but I know a LOT of mechanics who might just do this to see what would happen, just to do it kind of thing.

Better have friends that are fabricators too.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 6:23 PM
To answer 2000 Z24 cavy's question.. of course itll fit.. but like discussed bfr, IS IT WORTH IT? Not really.. Im sure most of you have seen this car bfr but here it is again.. In talking with this guy he has way to much money into the motor swap in this yellow cavy. Personally it isnt worth spending over 10 grand just to have a V8 in his cavy... but if have the money to blow then go right on ahead... personally im just going to stick to the 3800 supercharged like mentioned above..

Personally thats to much engine for a cavalier...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search